In today’s climate are you expanding your self defense tools?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    As much as many of us in our personal lives strive to avoid confrontation, by avoiding going to stupid places, being with stupid people, and doing stupid things. Sometimes Murphy finds you. For me understanding that I have my challenges, I try to maximize my abilities I do have, and build upon them. One of the things I have been doing is trying to increase my threat identification skills and assessments. I have been reading more and have found two books to be enlightening, Sheep no more, and Left of Bang.

just wondering what others are doing ?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    For me, all I can do is, as you said; " strive to avoid confrontation, by avoiding going to stupid places, being with stupid people, and doing stupid things". I`m 64 years old, not in the best of physical health, can`t run, can`t fist-fight, and so, a handgun is the only self-defense option. I do all possible to avoid confrontation, I absolutely stay out of bad areas, the only folks I`m around are church friends, family or co-workers, or my hunting buddy. My firearms are strictly for defensive purposes ONLY. I can do no more than that.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    For me, all I can do is, as you said; " strive to avoid confrontation, by avoiding going to stupid places, being with stupid people, and doing stupid things". I`m 64 years old, not in the best of physical health, can`t run, can`t fist-fight, and so, a handgun is the only self-defense option. I do all possible to avoid confrontation, I absolutely stay out of bad areas, the only folks I`m around are church friends, family or co-workers, or my hunting buddy. My firearms are strictly for defensive purposes ONLY. I can do no more than that.
    Not to discriminate against older people but I think you make some valid points. Sometimes when people get older I think they may be limited in options and that is why I think disparity of force comes into play.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I started carrying more medical equipment, and signed up for a refresher course on how to use it.

More important is getting into better shape. COVID showed us the worst thing you could be was fat and out of shape. Being fat and out of shape is also a huge disadvantage in a gunfight, and surviving the aftermath. I’ve put on a few extra pounds in recent years so I’m trying to flip that back.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I continue to work on my fitness. I'm hosting the Stop the Bleed class at a Bob Whaley class tomorrow. Last year, same time, I took the Pistol 1 class and I was out of shape for me. I remember Bob saying when the class was over he was going to his motel room and getting some type of workout in and we should to.

I went back to the gym a month or so later and have been going ever since. I'm in much better condition than last year at this time.

I have also been practicing shooting at least once per week since that class. Another thing he said in the class was that he tried to practice 1:1 with his carry gun and whatever he was using that day as a range gun if it was different.

I started shooting my Shield that way and kinda surprised myself how much more proficient I got with it. I shot the last conceal carry match at Riley with it and though I finished at the bottom, even the guys there thought I shot it well, albeit slow, lol.

So I train my body, my shooting, I added medical, situational awareness and fortunately my wife and I enjoy being at home and not out late at night so I have that in my favor.

I too am older and there are not enough trips around the sun for me to become a real operator so I do what I can, trust God for the rest and carry on. If I'm overwhelmed by a better trained foe, then game over.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Same for me on physical limitations. I also add a few fight moves to "target areas", I carry two knives that I train how to use, and I walk with a cane. I have done some training on how to use a cane for self defense. I can take my cane anywhere. My preference for canes is Cold Steel. My gun is a part too.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    After reading some of the replies I wonder what is the best way to counter a challenge ( I really don’t care for the term impaired) some things you have control over to some degree, physical fitness, with in reason. But how can you best make up for deficits in other areas?

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Firearm wise, Im tying to keeping myself entertained with what i have vs expanding the herd right now. Id love to get my hands on a nice 1911 to tinker with but im picky so instead i tinkered with my stubby AR, then tinkered with a couple glocks, now im starting to tinker with a .308 AR i gave up on years ago. I still target shoot with the main guns at least a couple times per month and i do buy ammo when and where i find it reasonably priced.

Physically, i was in ju jitsu from 8 ish to 16. 9 years later I can still probably hold my own in hand to hand. Physically i dont go to the gym anymore, just no time for it, but i do walk/run the dogs daily, and the 4&6 year old nephews gas out before I do so id say im ok there. Also i carry a leatherman so i could shank someone or give them a mean purple nurple :laugh: depending on what the situation calls for.

Medically i used to be a first responder on the volunteer FD where i used to live. Chances are i could keep somone alive until a paramedic gets there in most situations. Also i have been expanding my first aid supplies. I have a bag under my trucks back seat full of life saving goodies, and im trying to expand my range bag first aid kit without taking up to much space in it.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    After reading some of the replies I wonder what is the best way to counter a challenge ( I really don’t care for the term impaired) some things you have control over to some degree, physical fitness, with in reason. But how can you best make up for deficits in other areas?
    Maybe just focus on what you can do rather than what you cannot do. There are exercise programs for people who are bed-bound, so just about anyone can do some kind of basic exercise/movement. Even for someone walking with a cane, you can take longer walks or lift light dumbbells from a seated position. Most people seem to just resign themselves to “I’m old and disabled so this is my life now.”

Eating fruits, veggies, lean meats, and cutting out soda takes no physical ability. Proper nutrition is much more important that physical activity anyway.

Go to a “Stop the Bleed” class in the area and start carrying a tourniquet. Watch some YouTube videos to at least get a general idea of how to respond. Doing something is always better than doing nothing.

Good luck!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Eating fruits, veggies, lean meats, and cutting out soda takes no physical ability. Proper nutrition is much more important that physical activity anyway.

Go to a “Stop the Bleed” class in the area and start carrying a tourniquet. Doing something is always better than doing nothing.
    Excellent advice! Do what you can and don't surrender!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Maybe just focus on what you can do rather than what you cannot do. There are exercise programs for people who are bed-bound, so just about anyone can do some kind of basic exercise/movement. Even for someone walking with a cane, you can take longer walks or lift light dumbbells from a seated position. Most people seem to just resign themselves to “I’m old and disabled so this is my life now.”

Go to a “Stop the Bleed” class in the area and start carrying a tourniquet. Watch some YouTube videos to at least get a general idea of how to respond. Doing something is always better than doing nothing.

Good luck!
    My main area that I need to work on is improving my situational awareness. Understanding that paying attention and seeing what is around you is only part of it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not really expanding much. Coach, obijohn and rhino put me on the right path years ago. It's a path that includes maintaining perishable skills along with continual study, learning and adapting to modern training techniques and hardware used.

Knowing how to efficiently use everything from the most likely pistol or rifle you'll pick up off the ground to when you need pepper spray to how to shave an attacker off of you with your blade.

Most skills you'll never use. For sure though, the same as your handgun or light, you damn sure won't use it, if you don't have it on you.

:twocents:

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Paper and trigger time.....always shows.
    I try different distances, up to 60yards with handguns and move while shooting.
    As far as defensive objectives are concerned Here on the Freehold I try for force multipliers...NV, dogs, fencing, gates. Etc.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I really have to focus more on letting things slide, like road rage incidents. I have to continually remind myself that for some people, nothing I do will change their behavior. It seems like there is more anger and mental illness out there since COVID-19 and some people are out looking for trouble. I have good situational awareness and shooting skills. Being old, I, like others have said, unarmed fighting is not in the cards for me. I should consider some less lethal products for EDC.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Not really expanding much. Coach, obijohn and rhino put me on the right path years ago. It's a path that includes maintaining perishable skills along with continual study, learning and adapting to modern training techniques and hardware used.

Knowing how to efficiently use everything from the most likely pistol or rifle you'll pick up off the ground to when you need pepper spray to how to shave an attacker off of you with your blade.

Most skills you'll never use. For sure though, the same as your handgun or light, you damn sure won't use it, if you don't have it on you.

:twocents:
    Believe it or not my light has been used a few times, it is fairly high on my go to list. On one occasion I truly believe it saved things from going from Bad to really worse, and proved it pays to be prepared.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I really have to focus more on letting things slide, like road rage incidents. I have to continually remind myself that for some people, nothing I do will change their behavior. It seems like there is more anger and mental illness out there since COVID-19 and some people are out looking for trouble. I have good situational awareness and shooting skills. Being old, I, like others have said, unarmed fighting is not in the cards for me. I should consider some less lethal products for EDC.
    Not to get off track but I do believe the controlla virus has given quasi license for some to be complete ...holes. Think about it they are wearing masks, granted there are some who believe its the right choice for them sometimes for all the wrong reasons. It can be far more difficult to read the intentions of someone when they are concealing their faces. Lets think about this why do criminals wear masks, hoods, etc to conceal their identity?

Once you understand Cloward Piven is at work here you realize a large percentage of the population is going to act with out civility, and as I like to say Smile and Wave and move on.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Believe it or not my light has been used a few times, it is fairly high on my go to list. On one occasion I truly believe it saved things from going from Bad to really worse, and proved it pays to be prepared.
    Many underestimate a good light. I have a SureFire 500 Lumen light, and it looks like a small, hand-held search light!

Top Bottom