• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I don't believe that $5,000 would pay for the digging of the hole. Not that I would turn down $5,000 if it cost that for the whole project, but in this case I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the information though.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I don't believe that $5,000 would pay for the digging of the hole. Not that I would turn down $5,000 if it cost that for the whole project, but in this case I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the information though.
    The article says they'll reimburse up to 75%, so it's not a free shelter room. But if it cost you $6500, that's not a lot out of pocket for a nice shelter.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    The article says they'll reimburse up to 75%, so it's not a free shelter room. But if it cost you $6500, that's not a lot out of pocket for a nice shelter.
    The article also says: "Reimbursements are capped at $5,000. Recipients must also commit at least 25% of their own money."

But let us not argue over a few thousand dollars, when in fact its OUR tax dollars being spent on improvements to someone's private property. Since it involves someone's safety, I supppose that makes it ok though.

Thanks for sharing.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The article also says: "Reimbursements are capped at $5,000. Recipients must also commit at least 25% of their own money."

But let us not argue over a few thousand dollars, when in fact its OUR tax dollars being spent on improvements to someone's private property. Since it involves someone's safety, I supppose that makes it ok though.

Thanks for sharing.
    Nothing spends like OPM!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I'll remain neutral on this program. But I prefer the DHS not visit my property. Also, the local pics of shelters in the ground showed a door that shut at ground level. What if a tree/debris fell on the door?

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'll remain neutral on this program. But I prefer the DHS not visit my property. Also, the local pics of shelters in the ground showed a door that shut at ground level. What if a tree/debris fell on the door?

From that link, 2 - 12,000 lb jacks on the shelter door/entrance. You have similar considerations if your shelter access is inside the house, what happens when the house blows down on the shelter hatch.

Also note, reinforcing a closet or room. https://supercellshelters.com/affordable-safe-rooms/

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I recognized the jacks for support. I was thinking more about entrapment and/or filling with water. I suppose it's safe to assume first responders would find the shelter to help with extraction. The water issue is probably addressed too but I didn't really spend much time looking into it. As a child, many of the houses we rented had bomb shelters in the basement. Largely constructed of cinder block. I've always assumed the bomb shelters were reflective of the time when the house were built (40s-60s). Air raids and whatnot.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The OP’s article states: “IDHS has $115,000 for the latest round and is accepting applications through April 15.”

That’s only 23 total shelter reimbursements. Can this be possible for a state-wide program or is the amount lDHS has a misprint?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The OP’s article states: “IDHS has $115,000 for the latest round and is accepting applications through April 15.”

That’s only 23 total shelter reimbursements. Can this be possible for a state-wide program or is the amount lDHS has a misprint?
    Entirely possible. Its called poor planning.

And your shelter door should always swing IN. (and be VERY well reinforced on all sides like a watertight ship's door. That way when debris falls on the door, you can open it and cut/dig your way out. (without having to cut through the jammed door first.)

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Mine was less than that.
    (Looks like the price has went up since I installed mine)

Good to know. I would have to put it inside my house or underground. No detached structures allowed,

Top Bottom