IMPD Sgt gets charges for kicking handcuffed guy in face.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I went into that video with an open mind. Open to the point of WANTING to see an officer trying to step on the dude's shoulder (like he claimed) and press him down but making an error. I replayed it 5x. No way. He may have raised his leg intending to press him to the pavement on his shoulder, but obviously plans changed in his noggin and he snapped and made the wrong choice to change gears mid lift. Just listen to his voice.

I was specifically looking for any indication that he may have lost his balance, causing this error. I couldnt see any indication in the rest of his body you would expect in that scenario. (hands moving to steady himself, hips moving, etc.) I dont know about y'all, but every time I've gone to step and lost my balance, lots of other body parts move in various ways naturally trying to right myself. I cant see any of that here that tells me his story jives with his actions.

Though the look on the kid's face afterward is humorous. Its the look a little kid gets when granny smacks him upside the head and he realizes she aint playin and if he doesnt stop RIGHT MEOW, a literal ass whoopin is comin.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    First - IF the impression I get from the video is correct, THEN I think the Sgt deserves what they decide to give him (and I'm confident they will), and possibly compensation for the victim/suspect.

Second - I HATE little video clips that give a strong impression, with no context, no history, no understanding. Just making things up here, but what if: the suspect was known to be a pit viper, martial arts, genuine badass; and had a history of baiting cops, then putting them in the hospital; and he was hopped up on drugs and ranting about killing police; and the Sgt saw his legs coming up to attempt to get a lock on the officer that just took him down. In THAT fictitious scenario, I think a thump to the forehead would be waranted, and may have prevented the need for far more extreme measures (an ounce of prevention...). None of this would be conveyed in the video, and I wouldn't expect the media to report it even if they knew it to be true. I don't believe this is close to what happened here, see "First", but I'm not willing to go rambo rooster on everyone on the block over a video clip I know nothing about.

This is the kind of video rhetoric that inflames everything it touches. In the scope of violent encounters, this was pretty mild. It does not warrant burning down the house.

Third - I could never be a cop. I'm no stranger to violence, and have tremendous self control. I keep my switch guarded in the OFF position. However, when it gets physical, it gets flipped full ON until I'm confident I'm safe. Cops need to have a dial they turn up and down according to the situation, they need to figure it out in the moment, and they need to do it right. Mad respect for those that can do this, and do it every day. I know I could not, and I never considered a career in law enforcement. However, just because I couldn't do it doesn't mean I shouldn't expect it from those on duty. I can't fly a jet either, but the pilot sure as hell better be good at it.

This third issue is the one I consider after the video and the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Was the action unwarranted? If so, the Sgt's dial is broken, or he has poor judgement, or he's just an aggressive a__ and shouldn't be in this line of work. More so in the current climate. See "First".

Please let: perspective + understanding+reason = outcome

Please don't let: video clip + media rhetoric + communist agenda = chaos + "new normal" we will regret.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I went into that video with an open mind. Open to the point of WANTING to see an officer trying to step on the dude's shoulder (like he claimed) and press him down but making an error. I replayed it 5x. No way. He may have raised his leg intending to press him to the pavement on his shoulder, but obviously plans changed in his noggin and he snapped and made the wrong choice to change gears mid lift. Just listen to his voice.

I was specifically looking for any indication that he may have lost his balance, causing this error. I couldnt see any indication in the rest of his body you would expect in that scenario. (hands moving to steady himself, hips moving, etc.) I dont know about y'all, but every time I've gone to step and lost my balance, lots of other body parts move in various ways naturally trying to right myself. I cant see any of that here that tells me his story jives with his actions.

Though the look on the kid's face afterward is humorous. Its the look a little kid gets when granny smacks him upside the head and he realizes she aint playin and if he doesnt stop RIGHT MEOW, a literal ass whoopin is comin.
    Ageed! I wanted it to be twisted drama, but it just looks like a stomp kick (albeit measured). looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So what happens to the other officers involved?

they all took part in the abuse of this man. The one first laying hands on did a half a** attempt at a leg sweep on a handcuffed man with no warning or Provocation other than using his words to say “no one cares what you do anymore”

Cop#2 kicks him in the head

cop#3 tries jerking him to flip him over while cop#1 is holding his torso down. Clearly not gonna flip him.

all three need fired and charged.
    now now now, I prefer tar , feather, and rail myself
    in all seriousness a crime was committed in the presence of multiple police officers, who some might say aided the commission of said crime.

I think we have some rules and laws about aiding the commission of a crime .

it’s entire possible that after the fact and the heat of the moment the other two officers said “wow that was f**ked up” and reported this up the chain. If that happened then bravo good on them for doing the right thing. No charges or internal reprimands should happen.

if they didn’t report it and then crafted the written reports in such a way that neglected to mention that violent and unnecessary use of force then they aided the crime.

this isn’t a hard math equation.
    "Might say"? "If they didn't report"? If if if if. You already said earlier that ALL 3 officer should be charged. Are you walking back on that uniformed position? We have one officer that CLEARLY broke the law. However, I would like to hear the facts and circumstances surrounding this arrest that would support this claim? Why was he being arrested and what, if anything, he did to warrant being taken to the ground?

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    My employer has a "Duty to Report" clause in our work rules / policy

i.e. If you see something and Do Not Report it / Lie about it ... you also are subject to Discipline up to and including Termination

Isn't that the concept of everyone involved in a Crime is charged - if 4 guys rob a Bank and one guy shoots & kills the Guard - everyone including the getaway driver that was outside in the car - gets charged with Murder

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Isn't that the concept of everyone involved in a Crime is charged - if 4 guys rob a Bank and one guy shoots & kills the Guard - everyone including the getaway driver that was outside in the car - gets charged with Murder
    I'm pretty sure law enforcement use of force to effect an arrest is just a little different than 4 guys robbing a bank, even if the use of force turns out to be criminal due to being unreasonable or excessive.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Apparently the guy suffered from schizophrenia.

'This has hit home' | Family of Indianapolis man kicked while handcuffed wants justice​

The family that cares so much for him that he was homeless. They have no interest in justice, they want money. When this guy is awarded whatever amount they determine appropriate you can bet the vultures will be there waiting to take care of exploit him until he's broke again and he'll find his way back to the streets.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The family that cares so much for him that he was homeless. They have no interest in justice, they want money. When this guy is awarded whatever amount they determine appropriate you can bet the vultures will be there waiting to take care of exploit him until he's broke again and he'll find his way back to the streets.
    Well, allegedly they hadn't seen him for 2 years and had been looking for him... allegedly...

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    My employer has a "Duty to Report" clause in our work rules / policy

i.e. If you see something and Do Not Report it / Lie about it ... you also are subject to Discipline up to and including Termination

Not a lawyer here, given your work scenario, I think the reasoning would be that you were disciplined or terminated for failing/refusing to follow the company work rules / policy, and this could apply to any policy they choose. They can also terminate for any other reason, or none. That's a very different thing than criminal charges.

As for the bank robbing analogy, it would work IF the police agreed to go harass an innocent citizen, or greatly overstep there authority. "See that guy holding the sign over there? You hold him down and say you're arresting him, then if he so much as wiggles, I'll kick him in the head. Ha, Ha, Ha..." Then you have multiple individuals cooperatively doing something that they knew was wrong. Maybe then there is some shared accountability. If the other officers were acting within bounds, moreover doing there duty as they understood it, I don't see how or why they are linked in any way other than public opinion and the desire to lump every cop in with the other.

If this logic, that they are all responsible for one, holds, I don't see how we can ever expect them to work as a team. Who in there right mind would work on a team to serve a warrant at a crack house, knowing that if one team member makes a bad call or even appears to, then the whole team goes down in flames? Who in there right mind would respond to a call for backup, knowing its already a situation going sideways, may make a mistake? Who in there right mind would ever show up for work?

If the goal use every means to pull down the entire law enforcement system, then it makes sense to beat that drum. If not, it's a very dangerous path to step a foot down.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

'This has hit home' | Family of Indianapolis man kicked while handcuffed wants justice​

I see this quite a bit in Indy. A lot of times the signs of schizophrenia start to emerge in late teens. The person acts erratically and then begins to self-medicate with drugs and alcohol. Sometimes they do get diagnosed and medicated properly, but they stop taking the meds for a variety of reasons. They’ll stay with various family members for a little while but then start to bounce around because nobody can handle the turbulence they can bring. Eventually they’re out on the street and dealing with LE. The police get frustrated dealing with the same people repeatedly. The courts aren’t designed for this so they end up in and out of jail constantly. It just becomes a revolving door for them. Had this incident not occurred, he would still be going through this cycle.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Yeah, like george floyds "family" "Oh, we are so grieved to lose a great man in our family." I'll bet if you were calling for them to post bail, they would not know anyone by that name.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Not a lawyer here, given your work scenario, I think the reasoning would be that you were disciplined or terminated for failing/refusing to follow the company work rules / policy, and this could apply to any policy they choose. They can also terminate for any other reason, or none. That's a very different thing than criminal charges.

As for the bank robbing analogy, it would work IF the police agreed to go harass an innocent citizen, or greatly overstep there authority. "See that guy holding the sign over there? You hold him down and say you're arresting him, then if he so much as wiggles, I'll kick him in the head. Ha, Ha, Ha..." Then you have multiple individuals cooperatively doing something that they knew was wrong. Maybe then there is some shared accountability. If the other officers were acting within bounds, moreover doing there duty as they understood it, I don't see how or why they are linked in any way other than public opinion and the desire to lump every cop in with the other.

If this logic, that they are all responsible for one, holds, I don't see how we can ever expect them to work as a team. Who in there right mind would work on a team to serve a warrant at a crack house, knowing that if one team member makes a bad call or even appears to, then the whole team goes down in flames? Who in there right mind would respond to a call for backup, knowing its already a situation going sideways, may make a mistake? Who in there right mind would ever show up for work?

If the goal use every means to pull down the entire law enforcement system, then it makes sense to beat that drum. If not, it's a very dangerous path to step a foot down.

It would depend on level of involvement / complicity

Active Participation (get a few kicks in too)
    vs
    Just Watch - but collaborate on Reports not mentioning Kicking
    vs
    Just Watch - but report incident to Supervisors - Later
    vs
    Intervention - Tell to Stop / Physically Intervene / call Supervisor then

Top Bottom