• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    So after talking my wife into buying an ar and then watching her figure out that she really enjoys shooting the thing i made the decision to eventually get into reloading. Its not about saving money either for me its about having control over another part of my hobbies.

Anyways i was going to wait till we had some brass saved up but fate took me a different direction and a buddy of mine that owed me some money told me he would give me a press and stuff with it to square us up. What i have

a lee pro 1000
    lee precision pro powder measure
    2 lbs of h335
    shell plates for 223, 9mm, and 45
    lee case collator
    Lee pacesetter die set
    1000 small rifle primers
    500 62gr soft point seeds

i purchased a frankford arsenal rotary tumbler dang thing is huge. Imma be ordering a few other things next week. Ive deprimed and resized the few 223 cases i have. Tried seating a few primers those went in without a hitch. Press seems to be adequate according to my inexperienced self. He did say the press has barely been used. He has 2 others and doesnt shoot as much so my gain.

i feel like some would say a lee progressive is not a gain but ive read good things about them and bad but seems they work fine once the quirks get ironed out. I read changing shell plates suck. But it will have to work for now. I basically got the setup for $150

now for the hunt for local once fired cases....

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Welcome to the ADDICTION....

Welcome to your new favorite hobby.
    Looks like you have a good start on the tools and components, especially for the price.

Lee products are not my choice on tools, but as others will tell you, will get the job done.
    Some items needed, listed by priority:
    1.Good eye/ear protection. (And wear them!!)
    2. Several load manuals (The Lyman 50th is one of the best to start with) Load data on line with Hodgdon + Nosler.
    3. Good powder scale.
    4. Accurate calipers-to measure with.
    5. Case lube.
    6. Case trimmer.
    7. Case gauge (Some here on INGO will argue this??).
    8. Primer pocket swage tool (You WILL come across Military cases as you load .223/5.56)

You will come across more, but these extras will get you going.
    Read the manuals through the process, and then re-read as you go through the steps=Brass prep, primer, powder charge, bullet seating, etc.

My BEST advice is:
    Become an INGO Site Supporter-to get access to PM's that will come in from Us HandLoaders, and to access the classified for deals, and MOSTLY to Support a GREAT firearms forum...Bill.

PS: AND Welcome to INGO.....

Last edited:

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Its addictive , I started over the winter with a Lee single
    Got a pro1000 pretty used for cheap and just got it set to do 9mm last night (I size on my single and use the hand primer then last 3 stations on the pro)
    Definitely agree with the case gauge as mentioned above, it's not very often I find one that wont go in the guage but it does happen and if you are counting on your reloads for more than just plinking or just simply hate malfunctions then it a good insurance policy

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    hint:
    If you're going to reload for an AR 5.56/.223
    buy RCBS small base dies.
    I have 3 sets of 5.56/.223 dies but only use RCBS small base.
    Also use RCBS small base dies for my .308 Win. in my winchester model 100.

They will size base of cases 0.001 inch smaller than SAmi
    you can read it on your calipers

They feed guaranteed....

you need to trim the cases
    you can get new starline brass direct or cabelas or midwayusa.

good shooting
    and with small base dies & correct trim
    won't need case guage....

Last edited:

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Welcome to your new favorite hobby.
    Looks like you have a good start on the tools and components, especially for the price.

Lee products are not my choice on tools, but as others will tell you, will get the job done.
    Some items needed, listed by priority:
    1.Good eye/ear protection. (And wear them!!)
    2. Several load manuals (The Lyman 50th is one of the best to start with) Load data on line with Hodgdon + Nosler.
    3. Good powder scale.
    4. Accurate calipers-to measure with.
    5. Case lube.
    6. Case trimmer.
    7. Case gauge (Some here on INGO will argue this??).
    8. Primer pocket swage tool (You WILL come across Military cases as you load .223/5.56)

You will come across more, but these extras will get you going.
    Read the manuals through the process, and then re-read as you go through the steps=Brass prep, primer, powder charge, bullet seating, etc.

My BEST advice is:
    Become an INGO Site Supporter-to get access to PM's that will come in from Us HandLoaders, and to access the classified for deals, and MOSTLY to Support a GREAT firearms forum...Bill.

PS: AND Welcome to INGO.....

ive been looking at scales still trying to decide but ill more than likely go with a manual scale vs an electronic. Most of the decent electronic scales are quite expensive.
    the lyman manual is on its way
    i already have calipers as well. Grandfather worked at allisons as a machinist and i got alot of his tools when he passed
    liquid lanolin and some alcohol for case lube
    still looking for a case trimmer. Been looking at a couple of the hand cranked models or even the lyman eztrim or one of the universal trimmers.

i have eyes and ears im a big ppe supporter. Its a cool thing to wear ppe youre not hard if you dont wear ppe...

Anything that you can recommend that is affordable but quality with the few other items i am needing?

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    hint:
    If you're going to reload for an AR 5.56/.223
    buy RCBS small base dies.
    I have 3 sets of 5.56/.223 dies but only use RCBS small base.
    Also use RCBS small base dies for my .308 Win. in my winchester model 100.

They will size base of cases 0.001 inch smaller than SAmi
    you can read it on your calipers

They feed guaranteed....

you need to trim the cases
    you can get new starline brass direct or cabelas or midwayusa.

good shooting
    and with small base dies & correct trim
    won't need case guage....

i will look into these thank you

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    still looking for a case trimmer.
    ^^^
    Lanolin works WELL==Use "Heet" gas line dryer rather than alcohol. Only the Red Bottle model=It has more alcohol than ALCOHOL..HA.HA..=12 to 13 to 1 with your Lanolin works well=Be sure to wipe off the outside of the necks, and shoulder, or you WILL get case dents..We have all did that..

Hard to beat the WFT trimmer for volume trimming..Google it up...Bill.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I loaded for over a decade on a used Lee Pro 1000, including 223 ammo and when working could churn out quality ammo. There are 2 things I found to REALLY watch. First was the priming system would have primers hang up and not prime cases. This was primarily when I was loading quantities of pistol powder. Second, I had the original powder drops and they would hang up, causing the next case to miss out on powder. I did upgrade the powder measure to have a positive chain link pull back, instead of spring loaded and that greatly helped. Anyway, watch out for those 2 items and you should be good.
    --Rick

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    ^^^
    Lanolin works WELL==Use "Heet" gas line dryer rather than alcohol. Only the Red Bottle model=It has more alcohol than ALCOHOL..HA.HA..=12 to 13 to 1 with your Lanolin works well=Be sure to wipe off the outside of the necks, and shoulder, or you WILL get case dents..We have all did that..

I keep 99% reagent grade iso alcohol on hand due to other projects/hobbies. Does the heet have something else in it?

i will check out the WFT trimmer thank you.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    I loaded for over a decade on a used Lee Pro 1000, including 223 ammo and when working could churn out quality ammo. There are 2 things I found to REALLY watch. First was the priming system would have primers hang up and not prime cases. This was primarily when I was loading quantities of pistol powder. Second, I had the original powder drops and they would hang up, causing the next case to miss out on powder. I did upgrade the powder measure to have a positive chain link pull back, instead of spring loaded and that greatly helped. Anyway, watch out for those 2 items and you should be good.
    --Rick
    well thats derailment encouraging. The one thing im not sure of is how to get the powder measure he gave me to work automatically. He gave me the deluxe perfect powder measure. The one that has the micrometer (if you can call it that) adjuster on it. A different one came with the press factory i think the auto drum or the other one. So i may have to touch the powder measure ever time but thats alright. Unless you know of a way to get this one to work automatically.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Welcome to ammo making, lots of good advice on the forum. Been doing this for nearly 50 years and it's always interesting.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I found I can focus on it and gets my mind away from the daily stress. Take your time and enjoy it. Watching some of the auto presses will make you want to pump out alot of volume but found I enjoy the time spent using my old lee turret press and paying close attention to each step.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Lee makes a hand primer that is really good. I did not like their caliber specific case trimmer one bit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would shelve your 223 and focus on handgun as a noob. Fewer steps. Ive been doing 9mm on my 1000 for a couple years. I looked into the extra steps for rifle and decided I didnt shoot enough. Plus 223 is the absolute longest round you can use with that press, so there is very little room to spare.

With handgun its tumble, deprime, resize, primer/powder, bullet. Done. No case trimming, no case lube, no primer pocket swaging, annealing, etc. Its a better way to start/learn.

And if you didnt already know about him, Bobcat Armament in Shelbyville is THE reloading supply place. He'll hook you up.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have been using Hornady One shot lube. I put cases in a freezer gallon bag, how ever many it takes to line the bag while laying down. Spray a few shots on the cases, flip the bag over and spray again. Then I shake the bag a little, and dump them in a plastic tray. Let them sit for a few min to dry. This goes much faster for me and I don't have to worry about what's on the neck or shoulder. I don't get any dents. One can will lube a lot of cases.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    ^^^

That's ISO-Heet, and it's what i've been using. ISO stands for isopropyl (alcohol).

OP...you now have a new theme song to get stuck in your head while you make bullets...

...roll, roll, roll your own...nothing burns as clean! easy wider rolling papers...best you've ever seen.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    if you are going to reload get a manual and a chronograph.You cant reload safe without one.just because you are shooting nice groups,doesnt mean you are in safe velocity.
    also get a little crow trimmer for your brass.The brass grows in a semi auto

Top Bottom