• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That is not what happened in Venezuela. They even ate all the dogs and cats. 330 million hungry people will decimate the wildlife in no time.

Did not know that, but dogs and cats you can hunt in town, deer to in some places. I just don't see anybody having the gas or desire to drive into unknown areas and hunt for animals. I see gas prices putting a dent in deer hunting numbers this fall.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm thinking when it's zero degrees outside, even a black plastic bag isn't going to heat up that much. ;)

We have a shower bag that we used when deer hunting, can't remember where we bought it. You heat the water over a fire or burner and there's enough water for a "navy shower".

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    When this country and its economy eventually collapses and we do go back 150 years, I'm going to miss a perfectly cooked hamburger just off the grill.

Or, more accurately, the simplistic ease in which we Americans can obtain, prepare, and enjoy a 6 oz piece of a cow. So few citizens are capable of delivering that 6 ounces of deliciousness using 1870s technology.
    I do not understand, For the most part grinding beef is not really complicated and takes far less skill then cutting particular steaks etc.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I do not understand, For the most part grinding beef is not really complicated and takes far less skill then cutting particular steaks etc.

I think what John will miss the most is the ease with which you can get it. In bad times nothing will be as easy as it was in good times.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I think what John will miss the most is the ease with which you can get it. In bad times nothing will be as easy as it was in good times.
    Makes sense being where we are and how we live day to day kind of skews my outlook on things.

About a month ago we processed one and ended up canning quite a bit of it. While not ideal it sure will beat the alternative.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Makes sense being where we are and how we live day to day kind of skews my outlook on things.

About a month ago we processed one and ended up canning quite a bit of it. While not ideal it sure will beat the alternative.

I haven't had a restraunt meal since the covid stuff started, the gardener just doesn't want to go out. I do miss it, but she does well with meals here.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I haven't had a restraunt meal since the covid stuff started, the gardener just doesn't want to go out. I do miss it, but she does well with meals here.
    Same here, sadly we do not drink so that is strike number one two and three, since no alcohol consumption equates to no service.

We rarely go out, besides I can out grill any steak place around here. Besides food is never cold and smashed potatoes are always fresh and flavorful.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    We have 2 back up human crank powered grinders in reserve, i first started butchering it was all and cut and hand ground, can still do it if no power only issue i would have is weather timing and storage!!!! Better get that cellar built huh!
    If you get tough cuts on sale, such as round steak, hand grind to burger. Delicious hamburgers and cheaper than store bought hamburger.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I buy really good lean grass fed ground beef, and grind up garlic cloves, pepperoncini peppers and onions with a little bit of red pepper flakes with a little horseradish and mix it all together before I press it into 1/2 pound burgers. I let it set for a little while for all the flavors to mellow together before a quick searing on a hot grill. One of my favorite tastes. You really cannot fry them as there is little fat in them.

Something to be said about a nice big juicy burger, maybe on a Kaiser roll.
    STOP!

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    In the summer, I’ll miss air conditioning. A nice comfortable, air conditioned home to enjoy my hot-off-the-grill hamburger with a Reeses ice cream cake for dessert.

Heck, I've lived without AC in the past 10 years. No need to go back 150. :D Most people in the country will do ok. You just won't want to live in a city. The toughest part will be trying to turn ground with hand tools if fuel is simply unavailable. Again, most of us have done it... just not much fun. :D

Top Bottom