Illinois will be getting worse even for non-residents.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nope.
    I won't play the game.
    Don't like Illinois anyway so no reason to go.

I wish it were that easy for me. I am in IL quite a bit. (Maybe I should have accepted that lateral transfer and changed my territory.) Right now I follow the laws and have come up with a work around of sorts. But when this goes into effect I will have to change it up again. Illinois certainly makes it difficult to keep a loaded gun close by.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If I understood the video correctly, this is an assault weapons bill. Not a concealed carry bill. So I suppose whatever gun a guy decides to carry will have to be something that does not meet the definition of assault weapon. Sounds like Illinois is about to become a 1911 state.
    That's how I interpreted it as well. Looks like i just need to swap out the Hellcat for the XDS on Illinois trips...

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    That's how I interpreted it as well. Looks like i just need to swap out the Hellcat for the XDS on Illinois trips...
    The section in the OP says "weapon".

"8) Any nonresident who transports, within 24 hours, a
    23 weapon for any lawful purpose from any place where the
    24 nonresident may lawfully possess and carry that weapon to
    25 any other place where the nonresident may lawfully possess
    26 and carry that weapon if, during the transportation, the
    HB5855 - 64 - LRB102 29834 RJT 41951 b
    1 weapon is unloaded, and neither the weapon nor any
    2 ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is
    3 directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the
    4 transporting vehicle. In the case of a vehicle without a
    5 compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the
    6 weapon or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    7 container other than the glove compartment or console".

Here is a link to the proposed legislation.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The section in the OP says "weapon".

"8) Any nonresident who transports, within 24 hours, a
    23 weapon for any lawful purpose from any place where the
    24 nonresident may lawfully possess and carry that weapon to
    25 any other place where the nonresident may lawfully possess
    26 and carry that weapon if, during the transportation, the
    HB5855 - 64 - LRB102 29834 RJT 41951 b
    1 weapon is unloaded, and neither the weapon nor any
    2 ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is
    3 directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the
    4 transporting vehicle. In the case of a vehicle without a
    5 compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the
    6 weapon or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    7 container other than the glove compartment or console".

Here is a link to the proposed legislation.
    That is for a weapon that qualifies as an assault weapon under the new law.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    That is for a weapon that qualifies as an assault weapon under the new law.
    Can you copy and paste the text that verifies that? Your answer may be correct. I have not read it closely enough to agree or disagree.
    I like to use verifiable links.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    The key to remember is that piece is part #8 of a multi-part section (24-1.9g).
    Subsection (g) is an exception to 24-1.9c (the manufacture, delivery, sale or purchase of assault weapon, attachment, or .50 cal)

Part 8 of subsection (g) says, subsection (c) does not apply as a non-resident passing through for 24hrs, as long as your assault weapon/.50 cal is unloaded & locked away.

And if you're not willing to read the proposed law, from the IL State links (them's all certified) to understand the entirety... you'll be left to take another's word for it.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The key to remember is that piece is part #8 of a multi-part section (24-1.9g).
    Subsection (g) is an exception to 24-1.9c (the manufacture, delivery, sale or purchase of assault weapon, attachment, or .50 cal)

Part 8 of subsection (g) says, subsection (c) does not apply as a non-resident passing through for 24hrs, as long as your assault weapon/.50 cal is unloaded & locked away.

And if you're not willing to read the proposed law, from the IL State links (them's all certified) to understand the entirety... you'll be left to take another's word for it.
    Reading the text of laws is one of the things I picked up from my time on INGO.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I know plenty of people in Illinois that this will not sit well with and they are in law enforcement. Looks like Oregon is in the same boat, be interesting to see how this plays out.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Chiraq can’t control crime within the city so the idiots there have to make life miserable for everyone else in that commie state. Ridiculous.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    A good friend of mine just went up there with his adult daughter to see a concert.
    He's a good daily carrier but simply leaves his EDC at home for theses trips.

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    IL is terrible, that's why we ended up on this side of the line!
    Same, I had 18 years of involuntarily living there and don't miss it. I've lived in MO, PA, and now IN and never paid anywhere close to IL taxes but all those places had better roads, schools, and other public things than IL, would be nice to see where all of IL's money goes.

They delayed renewing my Dad's FOID card over 9 months during Covid, I hear the wait times are better now but it's crazy how they can control your right to have a gun with some un constitutional card and then charge money for it.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Same, I had 18 years of involuntarily living there and don't miss it. I've lived in MO, PA, and now IN and never paid anywhere close to IL taxes but all those places had better roads, schools, and other public things than IL, would be nice to see where all of IL's money goes.

They delayed renewing my Dad's FOID card over 9 months during Covid, I hear the wait times are better now but it's crazy how they can control your right to have a gun with some un constitutional card and then charge money for it.
    A challenge to the FOID card has been winding it's way to the Illinois Supreme Court and if I have good information a ruling should come down by sometine in January. Jim.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Nope.
    I won't play the game.
    Don't like Illinois anyway so no reason to go.
    My wife's family lives there so I enter the state occasionally. Perhaps it's petty but I try my best not to spend a dime more than necessary while I'm there. This removes a tiny bit of revenue from the state government and gives me a small amount of cheap satisfaction.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My wife's family lives there so I enter the state occasionally. Perhaps it's petty but I try my best not to spend a dime more than necessary while I'm there. This removes a tiny bit of revenue from the state government and gives me a small amount of cheap satisfaction.
    That's awfully mean of you. They have a lot of pensions to pay for!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Some 'butter/fudd' comments from the first linked article...

I would say you're a little late there 'Robert and David'... Your D buddies in the IL legislature 'F-cked' you.

Keep voting for them stupid.

View attachment 241469

View attachment 241470

I can only laugh at people who say that they never would have voted for an Illinois Democrat if they knew they were going to support gun control.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Slipped into after-hours IL House Bill for "Amusement ride safety" - as House Floor Amendment #3

Now limits mags to 12 rounds, but does expand the "assault weapons" definition to many/most semi-auto shotguns.
    Still needs to go through IL Senate

Last edited:
    Top Bottom