• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    This and the other one but I'm not all in on it yet. I can tell you the spidey senses are definitely tingling.
    No offense but this thread doesn't pass the smell test. Something is off here.

Yes, noticing the conflict now, half info in one the other half in another. You n Full metal may be on to something.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Half the problem is the OP posted two similar questions in two different threads. He states he is an Indiana resident in the other.
    I am an Indiana resident in this one too-my friend lives in Illinois and inherited hunted property in Indiana. He plans to start hunting, he is more interested in being involved in the fun than being a gun owner. I am ok with him using my gear and ammo as long as there is not a law broken. That is my only concern.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What are you thinking? Seems on the up n up to me. Figured it was a young person truly looking for info. But that’s just me, I’ve been mistaken…..a lot. Before.

edit to remove incorrect text. there was one of those mistakes there.
    This and the other one but I'm not all in on it yet. I can tell you the spidey senses are definitely tingling.
    The whole thing about
    How Illinois can control what residents do outside the state....

Reactions: Mij

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I am having trouble verifying/finding specific laws as they relate to non residents. I try to research these things myself but I am not finding this one. I know that technically, an Illinois resident needs to have a foid card to purchase a firearm or ammunition in any state. I am wondering if they need a foid card if I hand them one and we shoot. Specifically, can they shoot at a public range without a foid, and can they hunt with rifles without a foid? I am planning to hunt doves and small game with a close friend and his young son as a part of a group. I am ok with them using my shotguns and providing them ammo. Would he need a foid card to be 100% legal? Would his son need one if I take him hunting without his father?
    Haven't got through the entire thread... Basically to purchase a longarm out of state, you must follow the rules of both states. To purchase a handgun, you must go through a FFL for the state you are resident of.

Nowhere in the above is loaning a firearm mentioned.

So if you are wanting to sell them a firearm they would need an FFL and you would have to watch out for rules to sell a long arm to an out of state resident. Handgun you would have to ship it to an Illinois FFL for transfer to him. But loaning while in IN, go right ahead.
    --Rick

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Being an IL resident, and purchasing any firearm in IN, does that firearm not have to have an IL FFL involved for it to cross back into IL to reside with the owner?
    If it is a handgun, it would have to be shipped to an Illinois FFL. For a long-gun, that is not required. Please see ATF Rules on transfer .

"a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the state where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides."

No offense but this thread doesn't pass the smell test. Something is off here.
    I don't think anything is "off", but the question was asked in a confusing manner. (e.g. he's talking about his friend the Illinois resident, not himself.)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Hmmm, that is bizarre.
    So, the state of IL can regulate what it's residents buy when they are out of state?
    I bet they can't.
    Let's say you broke some Indiana law in regards to this event you're planning. The state of IL could now prosecute?
    I doubt it.
    Maybe I'm wrong. I hope not!
    Firearms and ammo yes they can regulate it, at least to a degree. They can do so through federal law regarding FFLs. To purchase firearms/ammo through a FFL it must be legal in both states, which for IL residents requires a FOID.
    The whole thing about
    How Illinois can control what residents do outside the state....
    See above.
    So if you are wanting to sell them a firearm they would need an FFL and you would have to watch out for rules to sell a long arm to an out of state resident. Handgun you would have to ship it to an Illinois FFL for transfer to him. But loaning while in IN, go right ahead.
    --Rick
    Bingo.

Reactions: Mij

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I think I recall being in the Cabelas in Hammond and seeing a sign that IL residents needed a FOID card to buy ammo. So I believe at least the big boxes in the immediate vicinity enforce it.

Now buying ammo at a LGS in say, Florida, YMMV
    When I lived in Illinois and went to Hammond, they never asked me for an ID. That was about 6 years ago or more.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've been asked to show CCW at Walmart before they would sell me ammo, but I think that was just the guy at the counter trying to be a smart alec.
    Must have been from Fredricksburg, awfully close to Crawford County.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    Firearms and ammo yes they can regulate it, at least to a degree. They can do so through federal law regarding FFLs. To purchase firearms/ammo through a FFL it must be legal in both states, which for IL residents requires a FOID.

See above.

Bingo.
    Interesting. I have never had anyone at any gun store ask me for ID or even ask what state I am a resident of when buying ammo.

Last edited:

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Illinois, California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, DC, Maryland, Washington, Colorado all suck rocks.
    I think Michigan is going to be next on my suck rock list.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Interesting. I have never had anyone at any gun store ask me for ID or even ask what state I am a resident of when buying ammo.
    Cabelas and all the local gun shops near me ask for either an Indiana driver's license or a foid card for ammo purchases. I always thought it was odd till I started looking into this. I know the City of Chicago tried suing one of the shops near me over the violence on their streets and assumed everyone was just covering their rears due to that suit.

Top Bottom