• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I am having trouble verifying/finding specific laws as they relate to non residents. I try to research these things myself but I am not finding this one. I know that technically, an Illinois resident needs to have a foid card to purchase a firearm or ammunition in any state. I am wondering if they need a foid card if I hand them one and we shoot. Specifically, can they shoot at a public range without a foid, and can they hunt with rifles without a foid? I am planning to hunt doves and small game with a close friend and his young son as a part of a group. I am ok with them using my shotguns and providing them ammo. Would he need a foid card to be 100% legal? Would his son need one if I take him hunting without his father?

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I am having trouble verifying/finding specific laws as they relate to non residents. I try to research these things myself but I am not finding this one. I know that technically, an Illinois resident needs to have a foid card to purchase a firearm or ammunition in any state. I am wondering if they need a foid card if I hand them one and we shoot. Specifically, can they shoot at a public range without a foid, and can they hunt with rifles without a foid? I am planning to hunt doves and small game with a close friend and his young son as a part of a group. I am ok with them using my shotguns and providing them ammo. Would he need a foid card to be 100% legal? Would his son need one if I take him hunting without his father?
    Is a foid card the law of the land where you plan to hunt? Is the foid card a state requirement where you plan to hunt? Is the foid card a federal requirement where you plan to hunt?

The law, rules, requirements, for hunting in the STATE of Indiana can be found at the IDNR web site.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Is a foid card the law of the land where you plan to hunt? Is the foid card a state requirement where you plan to hunt? Is the foid card a federal requirement where you plan to hunt?

The law, rules, requirements, for hunting in the STATE of Indiana can be found at the IDNR web site.
    No, but Illinois law required an Illinois reseident to have a foid card if they purchase a firearm or ammunition anywhere in the USA.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    No, but Illinois law required an Illinois reseident to have a foid card if they purchase a firearm or ammunition anywhere in the USA.
    I’m kinda thinking that may be to import it back to comminois. But I’m not a lawyer so take it for the price you paid.

Go hunting in Indiana (abiding by Indiana law) and don’t notify the authorities in comminois you had guns or ammo somewhere out of there jurisdiction.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    Hmmm, that is bizarre.
    So, the state of IL can regulate what it's residents buy when they are out of state?
    I bet they can't.
    Let's say you broke some Indiana law in regards to this event you're planning. The state of IL could now prosecute?
    I doubt it.
    Maybe I'm wrong. I hope not!

Reactions: Mij

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hmmm, that is bizarre.
    So, the state of IL can regulate what it's residents buy when they are out of state?
    I bet they can't.
    Let's say you broke some Indiana law in regards to this event you're planning. The state of IL could now prosecute?
    I doubt it.
    I think I recall being in the Cabelas in Hammond and seeing a sign that IL residents needed a FOID card to buy ammo. So I believe at least the big boxes in the immediate vicinity enforce it.

Now buying ammo at a LGS in say, Florida, YMMV

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I think I recall being in the Cabelas in Hammond and seeing a sign that IL residents needed a FOID card to buy ammo. So I believe at least the big boxes in the immediate vicinity enforce it.

Dang. That's too bad.
    I don't recollect ever being asked for ID to buy ammo.
    Something akin to Freedom I guess?

Last edited:

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

Is that one of those outfits that makes you show you’re ID to buy anything? May be one of those CYA deals for corp. feel good kinda guys.

bullcrap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Paoli
    Hmmm, that is bizarre.
    I bet they can't.
    I doubt it.
    Illinois, California and New York are all about the same. I have purchased long guns in a lot of different states, they have to go buy the requirements of the state that your a resident of. As for ammo I have only needed Id for profit of age. Hand guns have to be shipped to a FFL dealer in the state of your residence.

Last edited by a moderator:

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Indiana law is the law you must follow while in Indiana. Your FOID card is irrelevant here. (Although some gun stores near the border will still require one of Illinois residents, due to reactive store policy.)

But also make sure you follow federal law regarding purchasing of firearms. As an Illinois resident, you could legally buy a long-gun in Indiana, could legally buy ammo in Indiana, but could not legally buy a handgun in Indiana.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    No offense but this thread doesn't pass the smell test. Something is off here.
    What are you thinking? Seems on the up n up to me. Figured it was a young person truly looking for info. But that’s just me, I’ve been mistaken…..a lot. Before.

edit to remove incorrect text. there was one of those mistakes there.

Last edited:

Lpherr

Occupied
    Being an IL resident, and purchasing any firearm in IN, does that firearm not have to have an IL FFL involved for it to cross back into IL to reside with the owner?

yotehunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Not Iraq
    Illinois is pretty serious about taking 2A people down. Sorry, but I do Not think I would put my full trust in a forum that these rules do not apply too. I would call your local FFL. You could only get a long gun anyways in any other non resident state. .

Top Bottom