• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I know I’ve seen this on here before but my search skills are lousy.
    I am visiting a friend west of Chicago tomorrow. I want to be sure I’m okay to keep my pistol and my PCC in my vehicle for the trip.
    I seem to recall reading you can carry inside your vehicle as long as you have a license to carry. I also seem to remember something about long guns can only be carried unloaded and inaccessible.

Could someone give me some insight on this?

thanks, Matt

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Do you have your Indiana license to carry? If you do you can carry inside your vehicle, it must remain in the vehicle locked up if you leave the vehicle. Exception you may carry it directly to the rear of the car if you plan to lock it in the trunk. If you carry a long gun with you the best way is to have it un-loaded and inside a case, nothing wrong with locking it in the trunk also. If you do not have your LTC from Indiana your handgun needs to be transported the same as the long gun. Jim.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I do have my LTCH and I’m driving a pickup truck so no trunk. The PCC is a zipper case inside my get home bag in the back seat. It is a Keltec SU2000 and I keep a loaded mag in it.

Matt

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Ask the question, “what are Illinois gun carry laws”. I can’t remember exactly when my friend traveled through but their pretty uptight over there. I would not risk it.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    You can transport in/through Illinois as out of state resident if you firearm is enclosed in a case with the ammo in a separate container, provided that you are not a prohibited person.

ISP website is your friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    As some mentioned with the handgun and a LTC your good in your vehicle in Illinois or close proximity to it (pumping gas)

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I do have my LTCH and I’m driving a pickup truck so no trunk. The PCC is a zipper case inside my get home bag in the back seat. It is a Keltec SU2000 and I keep a loaded mag in it.

Matt

When you leave your truck you must secure the firearms inside the cab, locking the doors make it secure. The carry gun does not have to be unloaded, just locked in the truck, the long gun must be unloaded and in a case. The zipper bag should be fine, the case does not have to be locked. Illinois does not regulate the transportation of ammunition only the transportation of firearms. Pull the mag out of the Keltec and clear it you are fine. The law allows the mag to be kept inside the case as long as it is not in the gun. That being said and considering the area you will be traveling through keeping the ammo separate may be best. Not because of the actual law but it is better to not get wrongly arrested than be vindicated in court with lawyer and court costs. Jim.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Is a PCC what they consider a short barreled rifle? Read some that and they are way more uptight than I originally thought. Emergency personnel has the right to secure the firearm, airgun or any device capable of expelling a projectile over 700 FPS. Another thing if you get pulled over and they ask if your armed, donÂ’t lie.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497

[FONT=&amp](430 ILCS 66/40) - (e) covers what you are looking for

[/FONT]

Way too much legalese for this simple minded idiot! I was likely in violation as I forgot to pull the mag out of the SU2000. However I behaved myself enough that I didn’t attract enough attention to get myself pulled over in IL. Not a bad trip there and back. Left at 7:30, home at 4:05. Stopped at Merrilville for lunch and a tank of gas. That area is a mess on a Saturday afternoon!

Thanks all! Matt

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Glad it worked out. I would've told you to leave the guns at home, because there are all sorts of technicalities like leaving the magazine in that will get you in serious trouble. IL and NY want to make examples of anyone who brings a gun in from out of state.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    The only reason I go to Illinois is because it is the shortest way to Omaha...

I went to visit an old friend and pick up a few things from him. While there, he even made the remark that as soon as he retired, he was looking to find a place in NW Indiana to get away from the crap that is associated with Chicago.

Matt

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    In Feb a some pals and I are going to Texas for a hog hunt. We will be loaded to the teeth. I'm going to try and talk them into driving an extra ~40 minutes so we can drive around illinois.

Top Bottom