• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So moved out of IL 7 years ago or so. Threw the unconstitutional FOID card away as soon as I lived on free land. Got a letter in the mail from IL state police demanding I turn in my FOID card because it is revoked, or get a misdemeanor. A) who keeps stuff like that for 7 years after not needing it? B) what do I do, not like they will let me reapply to get one to turn into them, and the old one is long gone.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Send them a letter explaining you left the state of Illinois over 7 years ago, and you have destroyed your FOID card. Maybe get the letter notarized. I assume they revoked it because they found out you don't live in the People's Republik of Illinoize anymore?

Dulla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    NWI
    Moved out a few months ago. Guess I'll toss my old FOID and CCL license in the file cabinet so I'm ready once they demand I send them back.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    There are a couple of triggers that they audit. Divers licence expiration is one of those, or when it is surrendered to another BMV and I'm sure others. If it's the standard letter, it probably says to surrender it to your local PD within 48 hours.

I would go to your local PD with the letter and explain what you did with the card and if they will do a quick information report documenting what transpired. Depending on the agency, they may send it directly to Illinois FSB (seriously, that is the unit) if they are nice. If not, get a copy and send it yourself.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also have my FOID and CCW from illinois, will probably just keep them until they revoke them and want them back. I am just making a guess but if they don't get them back and you get stopped in Illinois it could be a bad day. I still own a small piece of property there and have friends and family there so do enter that horrible state every now and then. Jim.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Ok so just got it all settled. I called IL state police, FOID department. Just a automated annoying thing that goes no where very slowly. Called a bunch of other IL state police things, same. Finally called Human resources, real person answered, awesome. They said they would make a note in my file and that it is just a standard form sent out that it was fine. Real friendly guy said he wished he could move to IN as well. I told him we would love to have him. Here's the number for if any of you end up having this happen. 217- 557-1668. Hope that settles it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ok so just got it all settled. I called IL state police, FOID department. Just a automated annoying thing that goes no where very slowly. Called a bunch of other IL state police things, same. Finally called Human resources, real person answered, awesome. They said they would make a note in my file and that it is just a standard form sent out that it was fine. Real friendly guy said he wished he could move to IN as well. I told him we would love to have him. Here's the number for if any of you end up having this happen. 217- 557-1668. Hope that settles it.

...till you get pulled over in Chicago and curb stomped for an outstanding warrant due to "clerical error". :):

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    There are a couple of triggers that they audit. Divers licence expiration is one of those, or when it is surrendered to another BMV and I'm sure others.
    If they do audit those I don't think it actually tiggers anything. I surrendered my DL when I moved to IN, then a few months later my IL DL would have expired, a few months after that my FOID expired, and about a month after that I got an absentee ballot forwarded to my new address in IN to vote in the D primary lol

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    I called the IL state police the day I officially left the peoples republic. I called because there are some rather serious penalties regarding possession of an illegal CCW permit. The laws at the time indicated I must turn the CCW card in as quickly as possible to the very nearest police station once the card is illegal (in this case illegal because I was no longer a resident). Very nice lady put me on hold once I recited the law, and came back "um sir, you're right about the law, but we really need physical possession of the card and that's not going to happen if you turn it in to your local authorities". I laughed and asked if it was too much for them to send a postage paid envelope to me :):. She was nice and just said "pleeeease mail it to us". Anyhow, I did get an official letter showing they received CCW and FOID.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Poop on Illinois. My FOID expires in 3 days. My Il. CCL expiration date was last year. I have them all. If they give me the hundreds of dollars I spent getting them, they can have them back. I am a Hoosier free and clear. As I said, Poop on Il.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Send them a letter explaining you left the state of Illinois over 7 years ago, and you have destroyed your FOID card. Maybe get the letter notarized. I assume they revoked it because they found out you don't live in the People's Republik of Illinoize anymore?

Have him admit, in a writing and notarized explaining that he destroyed the card?

Um...no.

If anything, he should contact an Illinois gun lawyer and ask what to do before putting a confession to what may be a crime in a letter and having it notarized.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    What do you do if you loose your FOID card? I've never been an IL resident, so I don't know all the ins and outs. All I know is I avoid IL as much as I can.

Top Bottom