• ...and so much more!
  • model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    title is a quote that my grandpa would tell me his dad regularly said. my great-grandpa was a medic in wwii. as the story goes, he was sitting in school when some government men came in and got all the boys. because my great-grandpa had simply given his dad morphine-shots at end of life care, he was chosen to be a medic in the army. and that’s all he did, administering morphine to infantry soldiers during battle. he never spoke much about his experiences to my grandpa but one thing he said regularly was the quote in the title.

today my grandpa was admitted to ICU for a hemorrhagic stroke. im next to him in a crappy reclining chair and thinking about a lot of things.

sorry to post a bummer thread, I just have a lot on my mind. I wish you all good health my friends. if you have that, you have everything

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I've been in and out of hospitals alot lately myself with elder family members it does make think about things. I like that saying, and yeah a lot of nuances in life that we think are big problems are really nothing compared to our health.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    So Sorry to hear about your Grandpa & will offer up Prayers for You, Him & your Family.
    The Older I become, the more Truth I find in this Title!
    Sounds like your Grandpa is a Wise Man.
    Thanks for Sharing.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    That phrase is soo right on. I've been helping out with my middle brother. He had throat cancer about 12 years ago. Had it again about 18 months ago. Beat it both times. Although in the last bout they pretty much destroyed his throat with radiation. Ended up having a total laryngectomy on May 8th. The first part of the procedure started at 8:15 am, went to 5:30 pm. Then, the second half of the procedure was to do reconstructive surgery, went anther 4 hours. They did another surgical procedure this past Monday to remove dead tissue around the incision. Oh, and the incision on his neck went from ear to ear. He'll have a tracheal stoma the rest of his life. He's not a had a sip of water or any food since this all started. Been on a feeding tube. Once he is all healed, will start liquids and gradually build up to eating solid foods. He's hoping to be discharged this coming Monday. Take everyday as a blessing and make the most of it! Anyone of us could be in this situation.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    In the last year and a half, I have lost my little toe , all my toes and then my left leg below the knee. To make anything heal I quit chemo for my stage 4 renal cell carcinoma which is kidney cancer. I've had High potassium that can lead to a heart attack which Probably wouldn't take much since I have congenital heart failure. The nursing home they sent me to really sucks but my health is getting better everyday. I hope to be fitted for a new leg within the next few weeks and then I'll walk outta here and get back home and on with life. The point is, I ain't givin up till they ain't no more to give. I've made the best of what I've had to work with and relied heavily on God. No matter what happens,I just put my trust in Jesus. He's got this, and I have no doubt about it.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Sitting here after having 6 shots in my lower back yesterday. The joint between my pelvis and spine has nerve damage. Had an ambulance ride mid February for the worst pain I have ever had. I have been shot, stabbed and had my appendix burst, this exceeded any of that. Took this long to actually get treated because the hospital I went to was messed up. Got to my normal Doc and got it sorted out.

These are "test shots". If they relieve the pain, and they did, they will ablate to nerves for longer relief.

I am active, gym 3 times a week, work on the farm, cut firewood, etc. This has stopped all of that temporarily . Worked on the farm yesterday and am resuming a some what normal existence .

Don

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Wanted to update y’all. Grandpa is doing much better today. I’ve been talking to him like as if nothing happened. He remembers much of the stroke and can hold conversation about any topic well. He is a little fuzzy and slightly confused with specific, fast questions but it’s great progress.

Thank you all for the words and prayers. I’m seeing the results.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Wanted to update y’all. Grandpa is doing much better today. I’ve been talking to him like as if nothing happened. He remembers much of the stroke and can hold conversation about any topic well. He is a little fuzzy and slightly confused with specific, fast questions but it’s great progress.

Thank you all for the words and prayers. I’m seeing the results.
    That’s great news.
    Enjoy every minute that you can with him, and he will live on in you.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Just got home from visiting grandpa and thought I’d update y’all. Next week he will be leaving acute rehab and moving in with me. He is making amazing progress and recovering well, all things considered. I broke down crying today in the hospital seeing how far he has come physically, mentally, and emotionally. It’s hard to believe.

The man taught me how to walk, and now I get to return the favor. He still has a bit to go before he can be independent again, but I’ll get him there.

I was talking to him today about his dad (wwii vet quoted in title). Get this - all of his war memorabilia was given to my grandpa when he was young, intentionally so he would sell it at the local army-navy store and then use the funds to buy model airplanes and other toys. I wish so much I could talk to my great-grandpa about the war and life in general. He obviously had some strong feelings and earned wisdom.

Anyway, thank you everyone who has said a prayer and/or wished better for grandpa

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just got home from visiting grandpa and thought I’d update y’all. Next week he will be leaving acute rehab and moving in with me. He is making amazing progress and recovering well, all things considered. I broke down crying today in the hospital seeing how far he has come physically, mentally, and emotionally. It’s hard to believe.

The man taught me how to walk, and now I get to return the favor. He still has a bit to go before he can be independent again, but I’ll get him there.

I was talking to him today about his dad (wwii vet quoted in title). Get this - all of his war memorabilia was given to my grandpa when he was young, intentionally so he would sell it at the local army-navy store and then use the funds to buy model airplanes and other toys. I wish so much I could talk to my great-grandpa about the war and life in general. He obviously had some strong feelings and earned wisdom.

Anyway, thank you everyone who has said a prayer and/or wished better for grandpa
    Just be careful as you head into the role of caregiver. It can be tough and you need breaks and help to make sure you are able to stay in good health yourself.

Top Bottom