If you had access to unlimited funds, truly unlimited resources, what would you do with your life?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    Hmmm. I think I would build a new nuclear bunker complex; Cheyenne Mountain 2.0. Heavily discounted rooms and living accommodations for all the 2A supporters and patriots alike. Of course it would also be stocked with hookers and blow. Got to have something to do during lockdown.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Well, there's been a lot of answers here besides just buying stuff, which is cool.

Now here's what I was getting at. Suppose instead of unlimited financial resources, I gave you a Star Trek style replicator and the energy for it was free. Oh, and by the way, everybody else that wants one can have one too. It would be able to replicate a house, all the food you could ever want, clothes, a shuttlecraft, guns, whatever your heart desires as long as it's not a living being. That last one still resides in God's hands.

I see a lot of people who opine that Star Trek is communist either by design or in practice, often mentioning the lack of currency. But when everyone has a replicator, what would currency be? Don't bring gold-pressed latinum into this, as that was contrived to give plot lines to the Ferengi. What good is gold when anyone can replicate it?

Why fill your house with stuff when you can just replicate it as needed, then recycle it when you're done with it. Imagine losing a 10mm socket and not even caring. Heck, replicate 10 of them at the start of a project and watch them disappear throughout! :):

That's why I asked what would you do with your life. You no longer have to acquire things. You no longer need income. You can sit around and play video games all day, or pursue education in whatever discipline you want, pursue artistic endeavors, or even join Starfleet and explore space.

Now you're in the same situation as what I originally posted. You have unlimited resources. You can have just about anything you want. What do you do with YOU.

Congratulations, you're now in a Star Trek nerd thread. :banana:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I would buy every Sig Mosquito .22lr in the world, and they’d be sold out everywhere, and everyone would be like “whhhaaaaaaattt????”

• Haha
    Reactions: Ark

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, there's been a lot of answers here besides just buying stuff, which is cool.

Now here's what I was getting at. Suppose instead of unlimited financial resources, I gave you a Star Trek style replicator and the energy for it was free. Oh, and by the way, everybody else that wants one can have one too. It would be able to replicate a house, all the food you could ever want, clothes, a shuttlecraft, guns, whatever your heart desires as long as it's not a living being. That last one still resides in God's hands.

I see a lot of people who opine that Star Trek is communist either by design or in practice, often mentioning the lack of currency. But when everyone has a replicator, what would currency be? Don't bring gold-pressed latinum into this, as that was contrived to give plot lines to the Ferengi. What good is gold when anyone can replicate it?

Why fill your house with stuff when you can just replicate it as needed, then recycle it when you're done with it. Imagine losing a 10mm socket and not even caring. Heck, replicate 10 of them at the start of a project and watch them disappear throughout! :):

That's why I asked what would you do with your life. You no longer have to acquire things. You no longer need income. You can sit around and play video games all day, or pursue education in whatever discipline you want, pursue artistic endeavors, or even join Starfleet and explore space.

Now you're in the same situation as what I originally posted. You have unlimited resources. You can have just about anything you want. What do you do with YOU.

If we're replicating everything why would we replicate stuff that needs a 10mm socket in the first place?

:dunno:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Probably wouldn't live my life any different. Only the Lord knows when our days are over. If you're prepared for that day, that's all that matters.

I'd also have one heck of a mancave/bunker in the backyard full of all kinds of cool stuff.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If everyone has unlimited resources and can replicate anything they want, and you think that people will just leave other people alone and let them enjoy their lives, they you have a lot to learn about human nature. Humanity would destroy itself.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Still be depressed :(
    For real though you probably would be. All the longitudinal studies on people who come into wealth show that in the long run they almost always return to their baseline temperament and happiness levels. So if you're inclined towards being depressive, the mere fact of having money may distract you or bring temporary improvement, but it will become normal to you and your moods will return to your baseline.

Now if you use the money on better treatment that you wouldn't have gotten before, that may change things in specific ways, but you could also probably have gotten that without the mega millions.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    If everyone has unlimited resources and can replicate anything they want, and you think that people will just leave other people alone and let them enjoy their lives, they you have a lot to learn about human nature. Humanity would destroy itself.
    That’s a wise observation.
    Look at our modern, Lord-blessed US: the most prosperous nation anywhere, at any time in human history. Surplus of food, space, housing, toys.

And yet half the people are still miserable, mental illness is at all-time high, and weaklings crave power over others. Out of boredom people invent crap like transgenderism and global warming.

Humans were not made to live in abundance— we need to strive towards something to be happy. Or just another take “it’s the road, not the destination”.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The Star Trek world is just progressives' wet dream fantasy. Where they think their policies will lead.

I gave Discovery an honest try. The preaching was too unbearable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Every worthwhile accomplishment takes hard work for the most of us who aren't immensely talented. It required stick-to-itiveness. With that in mind, there will always be inequity. Some with build their physiques, others their minds, some will excel at sports/ hobbies and some will do little to nothing, just like today. Unfortunately, we will never reach that level. AI will have destroyed all human life on earth by then.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    This does bring up an interesting point, and one I was eventually going to get to.

There was I think a short story I read decades ago, about a guy who invented a repicator device. This is half remembered, so I may have some details wrong. The device was shaped, curiously, like a cross. It had a wire hanging off each end of the crossbeam. You could attach one wire to something, push a button, and a replica would appear at the end of the other wire. Then he attached the one wire to the device itself, and replicated the replicator. The replicator was replicated many times, and yes, it caused a breakdown of society.

That device was invented in the time contemporary to the story though.

However, with Star Trek, the replicator was developed along with many other technological advancements that had already changed society. They already had starships and had made many other advancements in the medical field, food production and the like before replicators were developed. I think that would make a difference in the way society handled replicator technology.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    The Star Trek world is just progressives' wet dream fantasy. Where they think their policies will lead.

I gave Discovery an honest try. The preaching was too unbearable.
    I agree with your view on the progresives. What they fail to understand is that technological advancement will be driven by the things they hate- STEM, Capitalism, and individuals' drive to invent and succeed.

I also gave Discovery a try for maybe 4 episodes. It might as well have been a daytime soap opera. As a huge fan of phaser pistols, even their phasers looked like crap. :D

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Every worthwhile accomplishment takes hard work for the most of us who aren't immensely talented. It required stick-to-itiveness. With that in mind, there will always be inequity. Some with build their physiques, others their minds, some will excel at sports/ hobbies and some will do little to nothing, just like today. Unfortunately, we will never reach that level. AI will have destroyed all human life on earth by then.
    Imagine how much more you could do if material needs were fully taken care of without effort. If you didn't have to work a job to put food on the table, a roof over your head, and clothes on your back. All of that is out of the equation. You could devote yourself to any endeavor, be it self-improvement or pursuing something for the betterment of all mankind. Or both.

EDIT: I don't think AI will send humanity to extinction. I think we'll do it ourselves. Someday, some human's going to push a button and that will be the beginning of the end. I have no illusions any more that the hopes of my childhood that I would grow up and be living in the Star Trek Original Series will come to pass.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Imagine how much more you could do if material needs were fully taken care of without effort. If you didn't have to work a job to put food on the table, a roof over your head, and clothes on your back. All of that is out of the equation. You could devote yourself to any endeavor, be it self-improvement or pursuing something for the betterment of all mankind. Or both.
    Who's gonna pick up the trash every Wednesday? We gonna have "unreplicators" as well?
    Who's gonna work at the sewage plant?
    Who's gonna staff the nursing homes, the prisons and the mental hospitals?
    Who's gonna **** with the the roads that have nothing wrong with them so that they don't lose their exorbitant budget next year?
    Oh...sorry. I meant "fix" the roads.

:)

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Who's gonna pick up the trash every Wednesday? We gonna have "unreplicators" as well?
    My understanding is that after you finish your cup of "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot", you simply place the empty cup back in the replicator, and recycle it. It's turned back from matter to energy and stored for later use.
    Who's gonna work at the sewage plant?
    Same deal. The Captain's "log" gets turned from matter to energy and is stored for later use.
    Who's gonna staff the nursing homes, the prisons and the mental hospitals?
    People who want to do that, or automation. Who knows what vocations people will seek when their basic needs are provided for without cost or effort. Do you do your job right now because it's what you want to do, or because it provides the income level you need? I do mine because it pays well. If I didn't need the pay, I'd do something I'd enjoy more.
    Who's gonna **** with the the roads that have nothing wrong with them so that they don't lose their exorbitant budget next year?
    We have shutlecraft. Don't need roads.
    Oh...sorry. I meant "fix" the roads.

:)
    Fix them? Recycle them. Return those scars back to nature. Don't need them.

Top Bottom