If you could only have one knife what would it be ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    These "only one" threads always limit your choices so much... Then again, I was only allowed to marry one woman, and that worked out pretty good... I'd have to go the same route, and pick a big sturdy one. LOL.

Last thing I need is something that's frail, and won't last. If I had to choose just one I'd say either my ZT 0100, or my Captain America Bowie.

The ZT 0100, is a real good balance of big enough for most things, yet small enough to carry everywhere.

Horazontal carry ZT 0100.JPG

My custom "Captain America" Bowie (by Robs Razors) is bigger, MUCH bigger. It's one seriously big honking chunk of 8670. On the up side, I can do the Crocodile Dundee "That's not a knife... THAT"S a knife." thing with this bad boy. Plus, it can cut a truck in half.

Captain America with Glock 45 on log.JPG

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Will the knife that will baton firewood effectively fillet a batch of bluegill? Butcher a deer?

You can filet bluegill with a Kukri if you have to. You cannot baton firewood with a 6" filet knife. Question was, "if you could only have one knife" I presumed it meant for all your uses.

Go ahead and post up your video of a dozen bluegills getting filleted with your Kukri or batoning knife...

200.gif

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Go ahead and post up your video of a dozen bluegills getting filleted with your Kukri or batoning knife...

200.gif
    Why would you filet pan fish? Post up video's of filet knives making shelters? Choose what ever you want but be ready to live or die by those choices. It really shouldn't matter what the other person uses. If SHTF, it will be obvious who was right:dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why would you filet pan fish? Post up video's of filet knives making shelters? Choose what ever you want but be ready to live or die by those choices. It really shouldn't matter what the other person uses. If SHTF, it will be obvious who was right:dunno:

You apparently don't catch and eat many fish?

What will your baton/shelter building knife do that my axe and silky saw won't do? Youtube is full of video of this. Lemme know if I need to find some and post for you, my freind

Still waiting on the video of cleaning a dozen fish with a wood processing knife?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    There are a lot of choices. I guess one that has worked well for me is a Buck110. It's not a hatchet meant to cut logs, small kindling is ok. It's worked as a skinner on deer, camp knife, cuts bands on boxes like butter, around the shop doing cutting duties(not a prybar), and been carried the most.
    A full size fixed blade also has certain advantages, but kinda sticks out in a social setting. In a belt pouch, or even in your pocket, the Buck110 is handy, and silent till it's needed.
    I own a few different knives and enjoy looking and shopping around for new styles.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll be the weird one. For day to day and not including any SHTF/hunting/wilderness scenarios, if I could have ONLY one knife, I'd choose one attached to a leatherman. My Juice S2 goes with me everywhere, and I use it multiple times a day. And most uses its not the blade. Its either the bottle opener to break packing tape, or the Philips screwdriver. Or the scissors.

Just wish they didnt quit making them. I had to buy a couple spares from ebay because nobody makes one with exactly all the tools I use daily in the 3" form factor. To get all the same stuff I use regularly I'd need to upgrade to a full size multitool. And that doesnt fit well in a pants pocket.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

What will your baton/shelter building knife do that my axe and silky saw won't do? Youtube is full of video of this. Lemme know if I need to find some and post for you, my freind

Still waiting on the video of cleaning a dozen fish with a wood processing knife?
    I think the confusion is because some are assuming this is meant to be a shtf situation, and this is your one and only cutting instrument.

I am treating it as my one and only knife, like the thread title says. If I don't have an axe, hatchet or saw then my decision will be different. But if I have the axes, hatchets and saws then my one and only knife will be strictly on knife duty. (aka no abuse)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This thread took a weird tangent, which is really odd for INGO. The original question was just what knife you’d pick if you could only have one. It didn’t say the world was ending, or you were stranded in the woods, or cleaning a jackelope. I don’t see how there could possibly be a wrong answer to this question. Except for @jbombelli since he chose a sword. :):

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This thread took a weird tangent, which is really odd for INGO. The original question was just what knife you’d pick if you could only have one. It didn’t say the world was ending, or you were stranded in the woods, or cleaning a jackelope. I don’t see how there could possibly be a wrong answer to this question. Except for @jbombelli since he chose a sword. :):
    Why you picking on J?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Can't imagine life without my Leatherman Wave. SWMBO used to criticize me for wearing it to church, until I fixed someone's glasses there. No more criticism.

But for many years I used to carry a Buck 110. Back in the 80s I forgot to put it in my checked luggage and boarded the plane. The flight attendant told me I couldn't take it on, but she would put it in an envelope and give it to the pilot. He handed it to me when we reached our destination.
    Times have changed.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville

Don't catch and eat many anymore, you're correct. Caught all kinds of fish traveling all over and have generally not fileted many of the smaller ones.
    Seems you muddied the waters with the addition of a knife, axe and a saw don't you think?
    I've processed fish with a machete in Panama and even made a sharpen stone to do it with as a S.E. R.E. instructor way before youtube.
    As in most things, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

longbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Avon
    Is this going to be my one and only knife for the rest of my time?

If so I would probably go with an 8" Victorinox semi-flex blade with the brightest handle I could get. I would start with an 8" because sooner or later it would be a 7" then a 6" and so on, and I would for damn sure not be chopping wood with my one and only knife.
    I have several Victorinox knives..... kitchen and fillet knives

Top Bottom