• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Does anyone recognize this 7.62x54r? I think it was sold to me as Czech silver tip?? But I cannot find anything to support that. Anyone know what country this is from? It comes in 2 440rd spam cans in a big green box with a triangle 15 on it. IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2104.JPG IMG_2105.JPG IMG_2106.JPG

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks felluhs!
    Polish eh? I guess I was duped, and sadly I don't have any pictures of the headstamp. All of it is still sealed in the spam cans. I haven't had the heart to crack a can open.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks felluhs!
    Polish eh? I guess I was duped, and sadly I don't have any pictures of the headstamp. All of it is still sealed in the spam cans. I haven't had the heart to crack a can open.
    If it's Polish, it's probably good stuff. At least that's been my experience with their firearms. The Polish M44's are some of the nicest ones out there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Does that make it better or worse? I don't have much 7.62x54r experience.
    Most surplus 54R ammo is mild steel core. It might make your AR500 steel targets wear a little faster, but it's not "armor piercing" ammo. Some ranges may not allow it because the projectiles will attract a magnet. It is no doubt corrosive, so just rinse your bore with water when you're done (I like to do it while it's still hot from shooting), and then clean as usual.

If you want a good source for info about most anything Mosin related, check out this site... http://www.7.62x54r.net/

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Spam can markings line by line:

7.62 is caliber (7.62x54R), LPS indicates light ball with mild steel core (the mil-spec is 147gr, but this varies in reality), GZ indicates copper washed steel case

J37 is the ammunition lot series and lot number, 76 indicates the ammunition was made in 1976, 21 is the factory code for the producer of the ammunition (confusingly, the 21 factory code was used by more than one country, but in this instance it is the Polish factory Skarzysko-Kamienna), silver stripe again indicates light ball with mild steel core, WT is the propellant type, 2/76 is the propellant lot number and production year (1976), 361 is the factory code for the producer of the propellant

440 szt indicates 440 rounds

The big piece of paper is a QA/QC packing slip that was put in the crate right before it was closed up at the time of manufacture and initial packing.

The little piece of paper is a reinspection slip and it indicates that the crate was opened and inspected in 2003. Prawdzono meaning "it was verified" followed by date and signature of the inspector.

The 15 inside a triangle on the wooden crate lid is the cargo classification for that item within the Polish military system. For shooters and collectors it doesn't mean anything. The 28 KG is the weight of the crate in kilograms - again for cargo purposes.

I haven't shot any of this, but reports are that it is supposed to be comparable to the other good quality 54R surplus that is out there.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Spam can markings line by line:

7.62 is caliber (7.62x54R), LPS indicates light ball with mild steel core (the mil-spec is 147gr, but this varies in reality), GZ indicates copper washed steel case

J37 is the ammunition lot series and lot number, 76 indicates the ammunition was made in 1976, 21 is the factory code for the producer of the ammunition (confusingly, the 21 factory code was used by more than one country, but in this instance it is the Polish factory Skarzysko-Kamienna), silver stripe again indicates light ball with mild steel core, WT is the propellant type, 2/76 is the propellant lot number and production year (1976), 361 is the factory code for the producer of the propellant

440 szt indicates 440 rounds

The big piece of paper is a QA/QC packing slip that was put in the crate right before it was closed up at the time of manufacture and initial packing.

The little piece of paper is a reinspection slip and it indicates that the crate was opened and inspected in 2003. Prawdzono meaning "it was verified" followed by date and signature of the inspector.

The 15 inside a triangle on the wooden crate lid is the cargo classification for that item within the Polish military system. For shooters and collectors it doesn't mean anything. The 28 KG is the weight of the crate in kilograms - again for cargo purposes.

I haven't shot any of this, but reports are that it is supposed to be comparable to the other good quality 54R surplus that is out there.
    Wow!!!!!! Thank you so much! That is A LOT of info you were nice enough to provide, this board is the best!

Top Bottom