• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scoutmom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Hopefully it's ok to link an article in the American Rifleman. Here is a link to the Women's Pistol Project 3 results: [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/8/right-for-you-ladies-pistol-project-3-results/. There is also information available from the first 2 Women's pistol Projects on their site. [/FONT]

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    My girlfriend tried a couple jframe sized revolvers, a remington rm380 and a ruger lcp in. She always had slow follow up shots having to readjust her grip. Recently we got her a ruger ec9s and she loves it. No more readjusting between shots and she now actually enjoys shooting her own gun at the range. I realize this is an old thread but hope it might help someone else with the same question.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hopefully it's ok to link an article in the American Rifleman. Here is a link to the Women's Pistol Project 3 results: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/8/right-for-you-ladies-pistol-project-3-results/. There is also information available from the first 2 Women's pistol Projects on their site.

Nice link. Limited guns obviously. But still some good take away. Guns need to be large enough to provide a good grip and easy to operate but not so large as to be overly heavy. A little bit of extrapolation and we could together an updated list. Shield EZ, Glock 43x, Glock 48, Glock 45, Glock 42, Sig P365 would all be on my short list.

rarobertson33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Indianapolis
    As a woman that carries, I have two that I prefer, my glock 19 and my revolver a smith and wesson 442. I will be honest the kickback to my wrist from the revolver makes me prefer the glock. The only thing I would mention is how is she carrying it? Holster or purse? If she is carrying in her purse than I highly recommend a revolver as she would have to have carry with one in the chamber and worry about the slide getting hung up if she has to fire through her purse. Just some things we considered when purchasing mine. Best of luck and Bravo to her for deciding to carry!

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Take her to a experienced trainer that can let her try several, and can explain the differences. Have had ladies that were not comfortable (at first) with the smallest of handguns, and others that loved DE in 50 and 500 Smiths.

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    M&P easy slide 9mm is the gun my wife seems to favor the most, she has no problem with the slide and fits her hands, gives her good control and it’s nice to conceal. Take your wife to gun shop and let her feel the difference in the slides.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    With the preface that I understand the OP was close to six years ago...I think it is important that folks understand we aren’t necessarily best suited to pick a pistol for other people, especially our wives. It is best to let them handle them and pick for themselves, though we can point in certain directions.

In my case, my wife gravitated toward the Sig P938 and ultimately the Kimber Micro9

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    “we aren’t necessarily best suited to pick a pistol for other people, especially our wives. It is best to let them handle them and pick for themselves, though we can point in certain directions. “.
    Great advice above.
    I’m aware how old this thread is.
    There are a record number of new shooters and a record amount of women shooters.
    There is a ladies only Reveres Riders shoot April 17, 2021 at Atlanta Conservation Club (1/2 hr or so North of Indy/Castleton).
    A great low cost, local event, starting with the basics and worth attending/supporting.

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI
    Please, please, please no bodyguard 380. They are terrible. Not reliable, crappy trigger, bad bad bad!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom