• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I started my wife with a Walther P22. She learned how to hit the target, rather consistently. Only two problems: 1) it's a .22lr, and 2) she kept getting confused on how to reload, charge it, deal with a safety, etc. Practice does not make perfect with her. She has the attention span of a gnat. (Sorry Honey) I knew the only logical (and safe) option was a revolver. So off we go... 4" .38...NO. 2" .38.... double NO. Keltec .380... HELL NO. We finally "settled" on a 4" ..22Mag. Hey, I know.... I wish she could handle a 9mm or a .45, but it just ain't in the cards. I'd rather she have the ability, knowledge, and confidence in a .22MAG, instead of knowing all she can do is throw a 3 lb. hunk of steel at the bad guy. And PLUS... we're still married. LOL

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    My wife is starting to shoot, and is using her own sr22 Ruger. She bought it at Beech Grove Firearm off of a lady clerk. I stayed out of the way, kept my mouth shut, and paid the bill. That was about 6mos ago...Since then- she has developed good gun handling skills, and is proficient at hitting the target. She's awaiting her lifetime permit and on her own signed up for a "ladies only" class next month.
    All of this started because of "personal protection". It's turned into a somewhat hobby for her. We are enjoying the heck out of shooting together!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Started the wife with a .22 Colt, moved to a Walther PP which she likes. Have a Sig P238 in .380 also, rosewood grips, good night sights. They've all been reliable and accurate.

I'll back her up with 9mm and .45.

madvarminter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    franklin
    my wife is small and not very strong we discussed her gun choices for a long time. I have several pistols and revolvers and she decided on a revolver a 642 we discussed the short sight radius and the double action trigger pull but her mind was made up. She has spent the time to practice and has become combat efficient with it but still acknowelges the fact that it much more diffacult to shoot than a semi auto or even a bigger revolver Good luck show her the path and walk it together

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Well I know I'm not carrying the pistol that I started out with so I suppose the girls will do the same. Find something they like down the road and switch to it- it's all good.

jt1975

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Whiteland
    My wife started off with a pk380, she liked it and has done well with it in training. She has now aquired, trips to the gun shop with me, fullsize kimber 9mm, g19, shield 9 and now a G42 to carry regularly. She needs to stay home more, so I can shop for myself a little, lol

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife started off with a pk380, she liked it and has done well with it in training. She has now aquired, trips to the gun shop with me, fullsize kimber 9mm, g19, shield 9 and now a G42 to carry regularly. She needs to stay home more, so I can shop for myself a little, lol

Funny my wife started with a PK380 as well. We traded it off for a SW1911 Pro in 9mm, then she wanted a Kimber 9mm. One day she impulse bought a Walther PPQ just because she wanted a Walther. I bought her a Glock 26 and Glock 42 because she wanted something smaller.

LazyAce

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I started my wife with a Walther P22. She learned how to hit the target, rather consistently. Only two problems: 1) it's a .22lr, and 2) she kept getting confused on how to reload, charge it, deal with a safety, etc. Practice does not make perfect with her. She has the attention span of a gnat. (Sorry Honey) I knew the only logical (and safe) option was a revolver. So off we go... 4" .38...NO. 2" .38.... double NO. Keltec .380... HELL NO. We finally "settled" on a 4" ..22Mag. Hey, I know.... I wish she could handle a 9mm or a .45, but it just ain't in the cards. I'd rather she have the ability, knowledge, and confidence in a .22MAG, instead of knowing all she can do is throw a 3 lb. hunk of steel at the bad guy. And PLUS... we're still married. LOL

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but this gave me a spit take. I had some of the same issues with caliber but we landed on a Walther CCP that had almost zero recoil for a 9mm and she could rack/load all by herself. Thankfully practice makes perfect with her and I don't have to worry about any range faux pas.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well since you are rehashing an old thread I briefly read back through the posts. Update: I really really dig the new Shield EZ! It is .380 and it is targeted towards a specific market. But they are really nice shooting guns and so far we have had no problems with ours.

Now that the EZ evaluation is out of the way maybe I wil have to look at a Glock 48.

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I started my wife out with a Walther P22. Easy and cheap to shoot. She did not like the recoil of a 9mm. She now has a Sig 238, she wanted something small.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Best thing to do is take here to a range that rents pistols and have her try several models, I would recommend a Walther PPS 9mm, very accurate, 8 round capacity, or a Colt Mustang in 380. Both very easy to carry and with the right ammo quite effective for self defense.
    View attachment 38285 View attachment 38286

I picked out several potential firearms for my wife, she didn't 'like' any of them.
    Same issues as your wife, with an added issue of being thumb joint thumped by a 'Block' type pistol.

She browsed everything at a gun show, and came back with a Cool Mustang II which she dearly loves.
    She has now taken over my Walther PPK and my pocket .38 revolver.

She will shoot that Mustang all day long provided I supply ammo ;) she has some viscous ammo for personal carry but will shoot up all my ammo!

My recommendation would be turned her loose at a gun show (or shows) and let her pick her own on her own terms.
    I had to paint sights on the Mustang, and do a couple other little things, but she REALLY likes that pistol and most important, will practice with it.

She has all her own gear, she picked herself, so she uses it.
    She likes a camera bag for a range bag, she has ear muffs that fit her (something I didn't think about, child/small adult size), and she picked out custom made earplugs (shocking bill on that one) which I've never complained about.

She cleans her own pistols & rifles and wants to know how they come apart & go back together, so she has her own cleaning gear (bore snake, Dewey cleaning brushes/rods etc.) and since none are plastic, the dog doesn't eat them ;)

Last edited:

biggggg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    FISHERS
    sp101 ruger

this 5 shot .357 mag is sturdy as a tank, not too much recoil for practice.... and is absolutely reliable.... my favorite snubbie

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    Some great advice in this thread ! My wife also decided at 66 years old she wants to start to CC ! I have let her shoot my S&W 66-2 4" and she has only done it in sa, which of course she's really good with it, so what I have for her is a S&W 64 3" , I just have to get her out to practice with it, in DA of course. I do find it kind of strange tho, she only mentioned anything about carry a gun after my daughter showed her her "special gun carry purse" . I think she just wants another reason to buy more purses !

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Some great advice in this thread ! My wife also decided at 66 years old she wants to start to CC ! I have let her shoot my S&W 66-2 4" and she has only done it in sa, which of course she's really good with it, so what I have for her is a S&W 64 3" , I just have to get her out to practice with it, in DA of course. I do find it kind of strange tho, she only mentioned anything about carry a gun after my daughter showed her her "special gun carry purse" . I think she just wants another reason to buy more purses !

A Model 66 will make all other guns seem inferior. Just sayin...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I found the ladies in my life universally hated the feel of the M&P or 642 S&W 38 Special. It was rough on their hands and hard to get back for the second shot. They all seem to like their Shield or 43 as an EDC, the specific choice seems to be personal fit with grip angle. At the range they usually run a few mags through the EDC and then further practice with a compact, full size, 19, or 17. The fact that the big gun has virtually the same controls simplifies things for them. Getting the girls together creates a healthy competition between then.

Top Bottom