• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I will share my experience with shooting & my Wife..
    She always liked a 4" S&W 617 6 shot 22lr best over any gun I ever had that included Colt, Hk, SIG, Glock Ruger, & S&W..
    She never really cared for an auto, I had a Ruger MKII but it just didn't do it for her..

Currently the only pistol I have is a Colt M1991A1 Compact & there's no way she can rack the slide on it with it's dual recoil springs.
    She doesn't carry.. We've been married for 34 years going on 35 in March..

I wish I could find another 617 like the one I had CHEAP!! But that gun tripled in value while I had it = Good Investment!!

I always talk in the past as I once had lots of guns & when the market crashed I lived for years on the proceeds of my investments kept the bills paid etc.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Have any women chimed in on this thread? I would be really curious to hear what they have to say as the shooter.

I am in the same position about the consideration of a gun for my wife. My job now requires me to travel more frequently leaving her and my 8 year old alone at home.
    she claims my 9mm is too big for her hands and im not sure she could handle the 12 gauge. [Disclaimer: shes 5'3" and 110 soaking wet....BUT in the heat of the moment, i imagine she would do fine with both with all her adrenaline moving]

Anyhow, kind of looking for recommendations from some women on this? BTW, i totally agree it should be HER choice and i am only there to assist when needed

Do you anticipate her using it strictly for home defense or are you thinking she may carry it with her? My first suggestion is to go with her to a gun store where she can handle any firearm and decide what make/model fits best in her hands - and then rent one and have her put 50+ rounds through it. Every woman is so very different in what we have in our head as what we need and what we actually decide on in the end is usually very different.

If she's only going to want something for in the home, my personal suggestion is a 20 gauge shotgun for a couple of reasons. The sound of cycling the action on a shotgun may end the conflict right there. If it doesn't, the recoil on the 20 will be less difficult to absorb than the 12 (you don't want her to hesitate if circumstances require multiple shots). If there is concern on safety regarding your kiddo, there is flexibility on loads that will allow for something that would deter a bag guy but not breach a residential wall.

If she might carry it, obviously a pistol is preferred. In that case my only suggestion would be to steer her away from the very short barrels. When I was early on looking, I purchased a Ruger 380 that is tiny and I thought I would love it. It is difficult to be accurate with and the small frame made me very uncomfortable shooting it. If you rent a few that she likes, running a good round count through them in the range will quickly determine what she is comfortable with. As long as she is comfortable with the mechanical function, it doesn't beat up her hands/wrists, she will be more likely to carry it with her...just my :twocents:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I will share my experience with shooting & my Wife..
    She always liked a 4" S&W 617 6 shot 22lr best over any gun I ever had that included Colt, Hk, SIG, Glock Ruger, & S&W..
    She never really cared for an auto, I had a Ruger MKII but it just didn't do it for her..

Currently the only pistol I have is a Colt M1991A1 Compact & there's no way she can rack the slide on it with it's dual recoil springs.
    She doesn't carry.. We've been married for 34 years going on 35 in March..

I wish I could find another 617 like the one I had CHEAP!! But that gun tripled in value while I had it = Good Investment!!

I always talk in the past as I once had lots of guns & when the market crashed I lived for years on the proceeds of my investments kept the bills paid etc.

The inability of racking the slide is normally the technique not anything else. I have found exactly one woman that could not rack the slide on an auto our of a hundred that told me they could not.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    380 handguns are soft shooters. Id just stay away from g,42 they have a tendency to FTF & FTE. In my limited experience.

See this is why INGO is so interesting. The Glock 42 is the only current production .380 I recommend. Although I am keeping an eye on the Shield EZ. The Glock 42 is accurate, shoots soft, offers a full grip with the pinky extension, is big enough to manipulate, has real signts, has a decent trigger, has good quality magazines and has aftermarket support.

All .380s tend to be quirky. You are trying to feed a short, fat, low pressure round into mostly small guns with no mass to speak of.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    See this is why INGO is so interesting. The Glock 42 is the only current production .380 I recommend. Although I am keeping an eye on the Shield EZ. The Glock 42 is accurate, shoots soft, offers a full grip with the pinky extension, is big enough to manipulate, has real signts, has a decent trigger, has good quality magazines and has aftermarket support.

All .380s tend to be quirky. You are trying to feed a short, fat, low pressure round into mostly small guns with no mass to speak of.

Ok, with an endorsement like that I gotta ask...how do they shoot? I've got a .380 and HATE it (Ruger LCP). Don't like the small frame, seems accuracy is a problem.

After saying all that, it does occur to me that I've not had it out to the range since I was a very new shooter. Might have a better experience with the added knowledge and comfort around firearms in general...hum...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ok, with an endorsement like that I gotta ask...how do they shoot? I've got a .380 and HATE it (Ruger LCP). Don't like the small frame, seems accuracy is a problem.

After saying all that, it does occur to me that I've not had it out to the range since I was a very new shooter. Might have a better experience with the added knowledge and comfort around firearms in general...hum...

I own both an original LCP and a Glock 42. The LCP has a Hogue grip, crimson trace and extended magazine. Anything and everything to add size and weight. My lovely wife with arthritis looked at the LCP and immediately liked it. Then she fires 5 rounds and handed it back, never to touch it again. The Glock 42 she likes. The Glock has 50% more mass, better trigger, better sights, reversible magazine release, parts and holsters and is big enough to actually get your hand on the slide. The Glock shoots like a larger gun. The LCP is an ear nose and throat gun, nothing more. I have bled on that sharp edged little bastard not once but twice. It’s only purpose is as a BUG in my weak side pocket and to let people see how crappy pocket guns are to shoot.

edit: In full disclosure I sell a lot of $200 .380 pocket guns at the shop I help out. That is what the consumer wants. VERT the friendly gun store guy is different then VERT at the Gun Club and VERT the firearms instructor.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

...and I think that is part of the crux. My wife tried several handguns and decided on the ruger lc9 because she liked the way it fit her hand and pointed. The pull is long and hard, but she prefers that for 'safety' (yeah she's not as active as you, or many of the rest of us). But during her first 8 hour training course with it, she begun to hate the gun because of the recoil and poor accuracy. At the end of the day, she was frustrated hitting only 2 of 10 targets and wrist hurting from all the shooting. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, so she was bound and determined to do better and borrowed Chezuki's full size M&P9 pro, and nailed like 9 of 10.
    Yet she still clings to the lc9 for SD for carry, and the whole 3 shots, 3 yards, 3 seconds... and I can't really argue with that idea... but longer range days means she's using other firearms.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    ...and I think that is part of the crux. My wife tried several handguns and decided on the ruger lc9 because she liked the way it fit her hand and pointed. The pull is long and hard, but she prefers that for 'safety' (yeah she's not as active as you, or many of the rest of us). But during her first 8 hour training course with it, she begun to hate the gun because of the recoil and poor accuracy. At the end of the day, she was frustrated hitting only 2 of 10 targets and wrist hurting from all the shooting. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, so she was bound and determined to do better and borrowed Chezuki's full size M&P9 pro, and nailed like 9 of 10.
    Yet she still clings to the lc9 for SD for carry, and the whole 3 shots, 3 yards, 3 seconds... and I can't really argue with that idea... but longer range days means she's using other firearms.

Ooohhh...I have a similar story. Went to a ladies training and brought two friends who had no firearms experience. Had M&P22's for them because I was worried how they would manage (one has some domestic violence in her past, scared of guns but wanted to learn). I had a new-to-me M&P45c that the reloader in the family had decided I needed to switch to (we need to carry the same caliber...blah, blah, blah...). Well, about half way through the day the two sharp shooters I brought with me were doing fine but I couldn't hit the berm with any degree of accuracy!!! Lol, I go so ticked I marched back to the car and brought out my EDC - S&M Shield in 9. Put a few dozen rounds through it and the trainers were scratching their heads as to why I would ever leave the 9mm behind... The 45 is now the big guy's EDC (smh).

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Ooohhh...I have a similar story. Went to a ladies training and brought two friends who had no firearms experience. Had M&P22's for them because I was worried how they would manage (one has some domestic violence in her past, scared of guns but wanted to learn). I had a new-to-me M&P45c that the reloader in the family had decided I needed to switch to (we need to carry the same caliber...blah, blah, blah...). Well, about half way through the day the two sharp shooters I brought with me were doing fine but I couldn't hit the berm with any degree of accuracy!!! Lol, I go so ticked I marched back to the car and brought out my EDC - S&M Shield in 9. Put a few dozen rounds through it and the trainers were scratching their heads as to why I would ever leave the 9mm behind... The 45 is now the big guy's EDC (smh).
    M&P 22's (and other 22's) are great trainers. Good on that young lady for taking the plunge despite her fear of handguns.
    Great on you for offering a .22 to start off with!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    380 handguns are soft shooters. Id just stay away from g,42 they have a tendency to FTF & FTE. In my limited experience.

Earlier this week I went shooting with a lady that has shot handguns for years (with no real training). I had shot with her once before and knew what to expect. I had spent the prior session working her toward safe gun handling.

Prior to this weeks session she had bought a new Glock 42 and I took several boxes of Fiocchi 90 gr XTP to be sure they functioned well in her G42 intending to recommend them for a self defense round.

I set up a full size silhouette target at 7 yards and did two mag dumps center mass...a start to proving reliability.

On her first couple of mags, there were several failure to FTF/FTE. I observed her grip. She held the grip low and had her support hand cupped under her primary hand and the pistol, with both elbows bent.

After explaining "limp wristing" and instructing her to hold the grip as high as possible, move the support hand up tight to the trigger guard and straighten both elbows, the FTF/FTE problem went away and the gun performed flawlessly. Any time she edged back toward her original grip, FTF/FTE problems would start and it took a few reminder to get her accustomed to the correct grip and stance.

With that worked out we moved on to accuracy. She started off hitting on the extreme left of the target or completely missed it off to the left. It took a little trial and error but ultimately the cure was having her not apply a 'death grip' with the primary hand, squeeze tighter with the support hand and change her trigger finger placement to place the center of her first pad on the trigger. When she got it all correct the shot placement moved center of mass with zero FTF/FTE.

We put at least 100 rounds through the G42 with no problems as long as it was correctly supported.

Short version of FTF/FTE with the Glock 42...it ain't the gun, it's the shooter.

As to the Ruger LCP, I find it to be a totally unpleasant pistol to shoot with a trigger that makes accuracy difficult. I go rid of mine and replaced it with a Ruger LCP II. The LCP II is changed just enough to make it reasonable to shoot and with a better trigger and sights I fire it considerably more accurately. While it will never be a favorite range toy, I can make it through a box of ammo to practice and still be happy with it.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County

I also really love my G42. I have had the slide fail to lock back on the last shot, but no ammo issues. It’s a very soft shooter and I generally prefer shooting it to my full size handguns. Mine is fairly new though, so I’m unsure of issues with older production G42’s out there.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I also really love my G42. I have had the slide fail to lock back on the last shot, but no ammo issues. It’s a very soft shooter and I generally prefer shooting it to my full size handguns. Mine is fairly new though, so I’m unsure of issues with older production G42’s out there.

There were a couple issues. One being the magazines. Can’t remember the other. The new guns are good to go.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Earlier this week I went shooting with a lady that has shot handguns for years (with no real training). I had shot with her once before and knew what to expect. I had spent the prior session working her toward safe gun handling.

Prior to this weeks session she had bought a new Glock 42 and I took several boxes of Fiocchi 90 gr XTP to be sure they functioned well in her G42 intending to recommend them for a self defense round.

I set up a full size silhouette target at 7 yards and did two mag dumps center mass...a start to proving reliability.

On her first couple of mags, there were several failure to FTF/FTE. I observed her grip. She held the grip low and had her support hand cupped under her primary hand and the pistol, with both elbows bent.

After explaining "limp wristing" and instructing her to hold the grip as high as possible, move the support hand up tight to the trigger guard and straighten both elbows, the FTF/FTE problem went away and the gun performed flawlessly. Any time she edged back toward her original grip, FTF/FTE problems would start and it took a few reminder to get her accustomed to the correct grip and stance.

With that worked out we moved on to accuracy. She started off hitting on the extreme left of the target or completely missed it off to the left. It took a little trial and error but ultimately the cure was having her not apply a 'death grip' with the primary hand, squeeze tighter with the support hand and change her trigger finger placement to place the center of her first pad on the trigger. When she got it all correct the shot placement moved center of mass with zero FTF/FTE.

We put at least 100 rounds through the G42 with no problems as long as it was correctly supported.

Short version of FTF/FTE with the Glock 42...it ain't the gun, it's the shooter.

As to the Ruger LCP, I find it to be a totally unpleasant pistol to shoot with a trigger that makes accuracy difficult. I go rid of mine and replaced it with a Ruger LCP II. The LCP II is changed just enough to make it reasonable to shoot and with a better trigger and sights I fire it considerably more accurately. While it will never be a favorite range toy, I can make it through a box of ammo to practice and still be happy with it.

I don't know that I want to fight with a pistol that is so unreliable with a compromised grip. You may only have one hand, injury, or just get a poor grip due to stress and lack of consistent training.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't know that I want to fight with a pistol that is so unreliable with a compromised grip. You may only have one hand, injury, or just get a poor grip due to stress and lack of consistent training.

So you are saying that people should not choose Glocks as a personal defense handgun? You do know that a properly tuned 1911 in .45 acp can’t be limp waisted right? ;)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My wife and a few friends took a “Ladies only basic course”, and the instructors brought only .22 caliber guns for the class, although my wife, and several of her friends brought their own firearms to learn to use. The instructors didn’t want them to shoot their real guns, and made them all use the .22 trainers. Of course, everyone Love, Love, Loved, shooting the .22’s, at the end of class they brought out the real guns, and to a one, none of them liked theirs as much as the instructors .22’s? If it’s supposed to be a defensive firearms class, teach on FOR REAL defensive firearms. A good instructor can overcome, or mitigate, fears of recoil. If you HAVE to instruct on a .22, find a new line of work. Just about like the husband that takes the wife to the gunstore and tells the counter guy she needs a revolver, because she’s a girl!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    My wife and a few friends took a “Ladies only basic course”, and the instructors brought only .22 caliber guns for the class, although my wife, and several of her friends brought their own firearms to learn to use. The instructors didn’t want them to shoot their real guns, and made them all use the .22 trainers. Of course, everyone Love, Love, Loved, shooting the .22’s, at the end of class they brought out the real guns, and to a one, none of them liked theirs as much as the instructors .22’s? If it’s supposed to be a defensive firearms class, teach on FOR REAL defensive firearms. A good instructor can overcome, or mitigate, fears of recoil. If you HAVE to instruct on a .22, find a new line of work. Just about like the husband that takes the wife to the gunstore and tells the counter guy she needs a revolver, because she’s a girl!

Teaching the fundamentals of safety and marksmanship on a .22 is not a bad idea. If you never properly learn the fundamentals for fear of recoil, where will you wind up?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So you are saying that people should not choose Glocks as a personal defense handgun? You do know that a properly tuned 1911 in .45 acp can’t be limp waisted right? ;)

Glock, Sig, 1911, Hi Point, flint lock pistol from 1740, I don't care. If it works for you in a variety of well-tested circumstances and positions, I'm all for it. If it requires ideal circumstances to function it may not be the best choice in a fight. Fights rarely happen under ideal circumstances.

Top Bottom