I wish I liked shooting Black Powder... but I don't.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Levergun1

Plinker
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    My g-g-grandfather was a heck of a shot. He got one of those new fangeled percussion cap rifles after the family flintlock burned in a house fire. He wouldn't waste lead on a squirrel. He would whittle a hickory stick down to the correct size, point the end and then cut it off to make a projectile, use a light powder load and push the hickory plug 6-8 inches down the barrel. He wasn't known to miss, but they weren't head shots as the whole family back then loved to eat the brains. Now I will enjoy a fuzzy tailed tree rat with biscuits and gravy but I draw the line at sucking out the 'ol brain housing group...
    I hope this is just a story passed down by the unknowing family.

Shoving anything 6-8 inches down the barrel of a black powder firearm and firing it is ignorance at it's best.

I barrel obstruction is a barrel obstruction. Now, with that being said, I highly doubt that this wooden projectile would have any merit to it, at all. Much too light of a projectile to have sufficient downrange energy. Nothing to engage the rifling, so it would have **** poor accuracy, at best.

Cool family, urban legend, though.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My Dad builds muzzleloaders. That's what he likes, but I like my In-Lines. Much easier and alot less mess. I have been messing around with my Knight TK2000 and have a decent load built up for 35 yards. I have several other muzzleloaders from .32 caliber up to .58 caliber, but rarely shoot them.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    My big thing with Black Powder is its just a fun traditional hunting rifle. I've got one, but I believe I'm going to end up getting rid of it and get a kit to build my own long rifle. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I hope this is just a story passed down by the unknowing family.

Shoving anything 6-8 inches down the barrel of a black powder firearm and firing it is ignorance at it's best.

I barrel obstruction is a barrel obstruction. Now, with that being said, I highly doubt that this wooden projectile would have any merit to it, at all. Much too light of a projectile to have sufficient downrange energy. Nothing to engage the rifling, so it would have **** poor accuracy, at best.

Cool family, urban legend, though.
    In the early 1900's people did what they had to for survival. The stores, what stores they had, were not what we think of today.

The barrels on these guns were as big as a truck axle with the idea that after the lands rotted out you would go to the next higher caliber. They were a tool, plain and simple.

A man feeding a large extended family that did not have to expend a limited resource, like lead, just wouldn't do it despite what people 100 years later have determined as 'bad'.

I am not advocating people emulate his action other than the desire to become as good a marksmen as he was. I am here as proof that he was able to provide for his family and I assure you that I am not an urban legend.

When you feel your desire for what you think to be 'truth' should trump what is fact, then it is better to remain silent and be thought a wise man...

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm sitting here next to my .45 cal. BP pistol, that has needed cleaning for a month...I know it needs cleaned, just keep putting it off....I must be a horrible person......
    On the other hand I love the process of pouring the powder, patching the ball, and cutting the patch, ramming it home ( not meant to be as dirty as it sounded), and shooting...oddly I like the sulphur smell, and the clouds of smoke....Glock22 that is a sweet rifle!!

EMT-Alex

Plinker
    Jun 8, 2021
    Anderson
    I tried it a few times but, I just didn't enjoy it. Too messy for one thing, and when I go shooting I want to shoot. I don't want to fiddle around with the powder, and patches etc. However, I enjoy watching those who shoot black powder, but it just didn't get into it.

It’s like shooting a mosin nagant with a tin of corrosive ammo. It’s a huge pain to tear everything down after a shoot, especially if there was a long drive involved.

I could never stick with it.

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    I don't care for the clean up, either the rifles or the guest bathtub, but it's as much of the process as the slow loading/shooting is. I really enjoy the opportunity to spend some time with my Dad at the family 'range' when we shoot them. Might only be 20 slow shots or so but we get some good talks in.
    I have these two...a CVA Frontier .50 kit from my in-laws and a CVA Squirrel .32. I found it in a local antique shop, loaded of course!

Attachments

• KIMG2594.jpeg
      KIMG2594.jpeg
      290.3 KB · Views: 6

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Feb 4, 2009
    Howdy K.F., Welcome to INGO!

I reload BP in .45 Colt and .44-40 cartridges. It's as easy as reloading with smokeless. I love to shoot as well, and typically shoot > 100 rounds per day of each. And cleanup is just as easy, hot water is all you need - you just HAVE to do it after shooting.

I've also been known to reload .45 ACP with BP. NOTHING gets more attention than firing off a mag full of BP through my 1911!

Good shootin'
    I would enjoy seeing that!!!! Maybe post a video some time?

KJK45

Plinker
    Feb 15, 2021
    Bloomington
    Same here, its just too much extra involved. Although I do find it a tricky and somewhat controversial way for people defending themselves with those big Fs, thats kinda a good and bad thing imho.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....Trapdoor and SAA Colt. Both shot with BP. I also have three flinters, a .45 rifle hand built with the help of my neighbor the late "Jerry" Eder, a .62 cal Fowler that a friend could no longer shoot built by Bill Phipher and a custom modified Pedrosoli to represent a 1798 military musket. Rarely shoot my flinters these days. BP isn't for everyone.

Attachments

• 20211001_085915_kindlephoto-6862718.jpg
      20211001_085915_kindlephoto-6862718.jpg
      443.6 KB · Views: 9
    • 20220720_104605.jpg
      20220720_104605.jpg
      696.6 KB · Views: 8

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I love shooting black powder it's more fun with friends with friends .before you leave the range you clean them up as you shoot the bull .it's all good

Top Bottom