I wish I liked shooting Black Powder... but I don't.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Too old and cranky to mess with the crap any more.
    Retired my TC Hawken Silver Elite. Had others before.

I hunt recurve now, and when done screwing around, break out a centerfire rifle.

Have pretty much gotten to the point of throwing up when I see BP rifles, especially the new stuff.

<<<<<<< shot him with the Hawken SE at 98 yards

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I feel ya, Hooky. But I can't discount some of the modern advancements. CVA's accuras are pretty amazing rifles for the money. That said, give me a rifle built by Jim Kibler, Tip Curtis, or Mike Miller any day.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Cruising INGO while in Gettysburg waiting for the wife to wake up. Had a late tour last night of the Cemetery hill battle. Bus tour and museums today, probably do Antietam tomorrow.

Don

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    One of the easiest and low cost ways to get into good accuracy and plenty of smack down is an old Renegade in fifty caliber.
    Buy one cheap with a rusty bore.
    Rebored to .52 you can paper patch 450 and 500 grain Lee .50 cal molds and you've got a hunting rifle accurate enough to need a scope, powerful enough for any critters this side of Jurassic Park.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Jan 14, 2010
    Whaaat?? How does that work?

Pack 7 ACP cases with FFFg, top them off with a lead pill, load up a mag, insert, rack the slide, squeeze the trigger, and SMILE! (helps to hold your breath afterwards.)

I went through 3 mags before the first hiccup.

Also, be sure to clean thoroughly afterwards. Full strip and lots of HOT water, followed up by a complete lube.

Disclaimer: I have not done this more than once, but it was definitely worth the experience (and comments!)

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am 76 and started shooting black powder in the 5th grade. I remember when most 12 ga shells were loaded with black powder. Dad got real mad the day he went to buy shells for rabbit hunting and could not buy paper black powder loaded with black.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Man, reminding me I really miss my cheap brass framed colt revolver replica.

Yeah, a pain to clean up, but at least a revolver that fits in a sink is a manageable cleanup. And the smoke screen was the best. LOL

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    One of my favorite parts of being at Friendship is always sitting in camp on Saturday mornings sipping coffee. The coffee's great, but what makes it the best is the company, and the sounds, and the smell of cannon smoke drifting through the campground.

Top Bottom