I wish I liked shooting Black Powder... but I don't.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    I love shooting black powder it's more fun with friends with friends .before you leave the range you clean them up as you shoot the bull .it's all good
    .....ahhh, been messin' with BP since the mid 90's. Used to do a lot of historical reenactments and rendevous. Started out with Civil War and it snowballed from there. As far as cleaning, I usually clean them right after a shoot. Contrary to what people think. You can go a day or two and they won't rust back into the earth. Now, my one caveat to that. Pyrodex, that crap is the worst concoction ever unleashed on BP shooting. Hate the stuff. That $#@+ will ruin barrels. My .02¢, others mileage may vary......

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    .....ahhh, been messin' with BP since the mid 90's. Used to do a lot of historical reenactments and rendevous. Started out with Civil War and it snowballed from there. As far as cleaning, I usually clean them right after a shoot. Contrary to what people think. You can go a day or two and they won't rust back into the earth. Now, my one caveat to that. Pyrodex, that crap is the worst concoction ever unleashed on BP shooting. Hate the stuff. That $#@+ will ruin barrels. My .02¢, others mileage may vary......
    I haven't had any trouble with pyrodex. That being said, I clean the snot out of the bore and all affected surfaces within a couple hours of shooting it. Then the next day I run a couple clean patches through it just for good measure. I use the Hoppes black powder cleaner.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    I haven't had any trouble with pyrodex. That being said, I clean the snot out of the bore and all affected surfaces within a couple hours of shooting it. Then the next day I run a couple clean patches through it just for good measure. I use the Hoppes black powder cleaner.
    .....$64,000 question, traditional muzzleloader, black powder cartridge or modern inline? I know inline shooters are inclined toward Pyrodex. In traditional front stuffers, especially flinters or in BP cartridge old west guns. I have no use for it. Hey, if it works for you, stick to what works. I guess my issues with it stem from dealing with shooters to whom a cleaning regimin wasn't their high priority.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    .....$64,000 question, traditional muzzleloader, black powder cartridge or modern inline? I know inline shooters are inclined toward Pyrodex. In traditional front stuffers, especially flinters or in BP cartridge old west guns. I have no use for it. Hey, if it works for you, stick to what works. I guess my issues with it stem from dealing with shooters to whom a cleaning regimin wasn't their high priority.
    I have one flinter, only the black stuff goes in it. The other is a sidelock percussion. You are correct in that Pyrodex is harder to deal with. It will rust a barrel much faster than black powder. I shoot it because I have found pounds of the stuff cheap.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    I have one flinter, only the black stuff goes in it. The other is a sidelock percussion. You are correct in that Pyrodex is harder to deal with. It will rust a barrel much faster than black powder. I shoot it because I have found pounds of the stuff cheap.
    ....I'm on the other end of the board. Was schooled in and have a sufficient amount of traditional BP to carry me over. Honestly, don't shoot my muzzleloaders much anymore. A buddy got me to go to a cowboy shoot. We started showing up with our Trapdoors and SAA pistols shooting BP cartridge. It was funny at first, a few people grumbled about us. Like that, other guys started showing up with single shots. Then we started getting 5-6 guys at a match. My runnin' buddy tried Pyrodex in some 12 and 20 GA shotgun shells. Truthfully, it wasn't any better or worse than black on knockdown targets. Like you, he had a couple cans and decided to use it when everything was hard to come by. Another buddy of mine uses Triple 7, with good results. I've also used Trailboss in .38 pistols and my 30 40 Krag. That stuff has dried up and almost impossible to procure. Like I said if it works for you, use it.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    ....I'm on the other end of the board. Was schooled in and have a sufficient amount of traditional BP to carry me over. Honestly, don't shoot my muzzleloaders much anymore. A buddy got me to go to a cowboy shoot. We started showing up with our Trapdoors and SAA pistols shooting BP cartridge. It was funny at first, a few people grumbled about us. Like that, other guys started showing up with single shots. Then we started getting 5-6 guys at a match. My runnin' buddy tried Pyrodex in some 12 and 20 GA shotgun shells. Truthfully, it wasn't any better or worse than black on knockdown targets. Like you, he had a couple cans and decided to use it when everything was hard to come by. Another buddy of mine uses Triple 7, with good results. I've also used Trailboss in .38 pistols and my 30 40 Krag. That stuff has dried up and almost impossible to procure. Like I said if it works for you, use it.
    I keep thinking about getting into cowboy action but that would mean I would need to buy the guns. I would love to but I am running out of places to hide them from my wife.

Top Bottom