• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Browning makes lever action rifles with mags. 308 223 22-250 6.5 creadmore 7mm mag and 450 marlin 30-06. And more. Not ar15 mags for sure but mags none the leas

Savage had mags also in the discontinued model 99
    Looks like the magazine feed they set the lever back farther. Definitely a neat idea for a lever-action rifle.
    That stainless takedown looks like a nice rifle.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yes, I know trash sells but to build something you can convince those with the money to build it. Sorry, do not see an objective market for it.
    You’re right. Lever guns are pretty much north of $700 now. I can’t see many people wanting to spend that much on what is essentially a plinking toy. Possible exception is 10mm, just because of the odd cult-like devotion to that caliber, despite its middling ballistics compared to a 41 or 44 lever gun.

And the bullet profile for the vast majority of 9mm precludes its use in a tube magazine. Not that Bubba will let such warnings stop him. But which lever gun manufacturer is going to step up and volunteer for that liability nightmare?

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Browning makes lever action rifles with mags. 308 223 22-250 6.5 creadmore 7mm mag and 450 marlin 30-06. And more. Not ar15 mags for sure but mags none the leas

Savage had mags also in the discontinued model 99
    Yep, and Marlin made a 22 magazine fed model 56 Levermatic.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You’re right. Lever guns are pretty much north of $700 now. I can’t see many people wanting to spend that much on what is essentially a plinking toy. Possible exception is 10mm, just because of the odd cult-like devotion to that caliber, despite its middling ballistics compared to a 41 or 44 lever gun.

And the bullet profile for the vast majority of 9mm precludes its use in a tube magazine. Not that Bubba will let such warnings stop him. But which lever gun manufacturer is going to step up and volunteer for that liability nightmare?
    People spend $2,000-$3,000+ on plinking toys, granted those are semi auto, but I could see people paying up to $1,000 for a lever action plinker.

The bullet profile of any 9mm is less pointed than many bullets designed specifically to be fired from tube magazine fed rifles. That's if, and it's a big if at that, 9mm even generates enough recoil to detonate the primer of the next cartridge in line.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I feel stupid now :nuts:

I should have remembered that....
    It's not a stupid idea at all. There are several manufacturers who have made a box-mag-fed lever-action over the years. Browning, Ruger, and Marlin all come to mind, and there are probably a few more that I can't think of right now. I actually own a Marlin 56 "Levermatic" that is a box-mag fed lever-action in .22LR. It's kind of a weird gun, but very fun to shoot with a short bolt throw that you can operate by just extending your fingers without removing your hand from the wrist, or breaking your sight picture.

51089818270_1a19a08e0b_c.jpg

51089093727_ea9f66fa03_c.jpg

They also offered variants chambered in .22 Magnum, .30 Carbine and .356 Winchester.

Aside from the obvious benefits of a standardized, high-capacity magazine and quick reloads that an AR mag would provide, it also allows for the use of pointed spitzer bullets without the danger of a chain fire in a tube magazine. I'm not sure I'd like the balance of a 30-round box hanging out the bottom of a levergun, but a 5 or 10-rounder would be pretty cool, while retaining the ability to insert a big one (or a drum!) if the situation demanded it.

I think it could be done, but it would take some engineering, and I'm not sure it would be a good investment. IMO there would be a limited market...most lever-action fans are traditionalists, and the AR guys like their semi-autos.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Couldn't help but think of this thread the other day when I saw this at a flea market...

1660270345645.png

My first thought was, "the lever action really slows down the rate of fire in that M3 sub-machine gun, doesn't it?"

Top Bottom