• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I’ve been carrying this same Gerber design folder for 10+ years. I love everything about it except it doesn’t hold an edge. I’m sure a lot of that is the way I use it. I cut up a lot of cardboard in the course of a week as well as the usual uses. I usually sharpen it on Mondays and it’s good for the week. I really like the light weight and slim design. I’d love to find one similarly sized but with better metallurgy.

Suggestions?
    Matt F98B1BA7-148D-4433-AADD-BDF9A37D84D7.jpeg

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I bought one because I thought it would be a good alternative. I’m a lefty so the pocket clip holds it backwards for me and it feels a bit heavy bouncing around in my pocket. I never know the Gerber is in my pocket till I reach for it.

Matt

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Get diamonds to sharpen it , but seriously for cardboard you are WAY better off just using a box cutter. Cardboard is the junkiest paper and has all sorts of crap in it that destroys edges. That being said the Spyderco is in ZDP-189 and that is probably the best we have in terms of edge retention currently with the exception of maybe Bohler M390 or Crucibles CMP 3V. It's a very hard metal that is about 65RC that being said the edge can be somewhat brittle due to the higher Rockwell rating.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    SIL gave me this one, a while back. No Complaints.
    51sW1-ve6RL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Look at the ZT (Zero Tolerance) line of knives. The steel is a sintered blend that works/stays sharp well. The pocket clip is movable side to side, and top to bottom.
    The knives are very robust, therefore it my be more weight than you want. There is one for sale in our marketplace.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    My son who has a knife addict bought me a civivi knife with d2 Tool Steel last year. Prior I've used buck and crkt knives (Gerber prior to that) and like you were tired of frequent sharpening. I've only sharpened this a couple times the entire year. About $50 on Amazon and a definite step up in steel quality.
    Rick

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My son who has a knife addict bought me a civivi knife with d2 Tool Steel last year. Prior I've used buck and crkt knives (Gerber prior to that) and like you were tired of frequent sharpening. I've only sharpened this a couple times the entire year. About $50 on Amazon and a definite step up in steel quality.
    Rick

I don't have any experience with Civivi or WE Knives yet, but they are inexpensive and both companies are coming out with what I think are some of the best designs aesthetically. It seems like the bigger brands are going for a futuristic angular look that I just don't like, especially ZT.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Check out this spyderco sage 5 lightweight with m4 blade steel that bladeHQ recently released. It’s a great knife and fits all the criteria you’re looking for. I have a handful of spydercos with premium blade steels and this knife is absolutely great, not as hard on the wallet as some of the other models.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    A visit to the Indy1500 today produced a new blade in my pocket. I looked at a bunch today and settled on a CRKT model M16-01KS. It is very similar to my Kershaw Leek/Onion but lightened up with holes in the frame. The pocket clip is also reversible which works quite well with me being a lefty. Time will tell how well the blade holds an edge. I’ll put an edge on it in the morning and test drive it for a week and see how it goes.

Matt
    8E88ACB5-F03E-4592-A3C2-62CCCFAE8CD3.jpeg

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I’ve been carrying this same Gerber design folder for 10+ years. I love everything about it except it doesn’t hold an edge. I’m sure a lot of that is the way I use it. I cut up a lot of cardboard in the course of a week as well as the usual uses. I usually sharpen it on Mondays and it’s good for the week. I really like the light weight and slim design. I’d love to find one similarly sized but with better metallurgy.

Suggestions?
    Matt View attachment 171382

Top Bottom