• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thanks for all the great info INGO (as always)! I decided to be budget minded and my LGS lowered the ask on this so I now onw my first (likely not last) wheel gun. View attachment 227379 View attachment 227380
    Beautiful 3" SP101...and those Hogue grips are great for those revolvers!
    XS Sights makes a green Tritium Front Sight for it...it's pinned in so you can do the work yourself.
    I'm a big fan of the Bianchi Model 7 Ranger 3-slot leather holster for those...rides comfortably, hugs the body nicely, and can be carried cross-draw in the winter so that your revolver isn't covered under a coat that is pinned down by a seat belt...I' like cross draw because I can leave my coat part-way unzipped, while in a vehicle, and have access to it. Enjoy!

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have had several
    I feel the need to own a wheel gun. After research I want a 3” barrel .357 and have narrowed it down to 3 very different revolvers and would like to hear comments — preferably from those who have experience with these pistols. Will most likely be a range fun gun but may want to carry on special occasions (currently CC either a CZ PCR or Sig P365 and rarely my 1911). Will likely mostly shoot 38 special & +P but will want it to handle .357 loads with reasonable accuracy.

So here are my thought:

Colt King Cobra 3”, (can be found for around $800 if one looks carefully—but what does the future hold for Colt CZ group, will these continue to be made?). Fits my hand well, feels good and the trigger is very smooth. Not too small or large and feels like it would handle a magnum load pretty well but have not had the opportunity to shoot one.

S&W 19-9 Comp Carry PC 3” (a little more $, have seen these go for around $900-1000 on GB, a half pound heavier than the Colt and trigger not as sweet). Little doubt this will handle magnum loads ok, wanting a stainless revolver but the alternative (combat magnum) is a bit over budget.

Ruger Sp101 3” (down to 5 shots, not as nice trigger as the other wheel guns but considerably less $$, 1 oz lighter than the Colt, built tough, and lots of aftermarket goodies available). These are the most available and least expensive by $200-300. Trigger can be smoothed out from what I hear (or put 1000 rounds or so down range). Holsters, speed loaders, etc probably the easiest to find at fair prices.

So, lets hear it peoples!
    Of the 3 you listed I would go with the S&W 19-9. I have had a couple PC revolvers and they are stellar. I currently have the 340PD and with the Hogue Tamer grips, .357 is very manageable. I also have the 329PD in .44 Mag and it can be a brute, but if you know that going in, it's not so bad. I added Hogue Tamers to that one too and it helps tremendously.
    How you grip the revolver is the most important part of recoil management, and good grip selection just makes that easier.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Very nice choice. Every collection should include at least one revolver.
    Especially heirloom revolvers. I have a couple that were my Uncle's before he passed. He had a S&W Model 29 no dash with the 6 1/2" barrel that went to a Son in Law. He bought it in the 70's after Dirty Harry came out. He would bring it deer hunting. It was always kept in great condition. I wonder how it looks now after going to the SIL. I have been trying to get it with no luck so far.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Especially heirloom revolvers. I have a couple that were my Uncle's before he passed. He had a S&W Model 29 no dash with the 6 1/2" barrel that went to a Son in Law. He bought it in the 70's after Dirty Harry came out. He would bring it deer hunting. It was always kept in great condition. I wonder how it looks now after going to the SIL. I have been trying to get it with no luck so far.
    Hang in there. I bought the same Model 29 from a guy who bought it from my brother. My brother asked me for years if I would sell it to him. It took about 20 years for me to realize the rightful owner of that gun was my brother.

When he owned it, he took quite a few deer with it and he and his childhood friend both bought Model 29's at the same time.

I'm glad I kept it a safe queen so when he got it back it was in the same condition that it was when he sold it to his friend way back. His friend was a collector so he never shot it and I bet in 20 years of me having it, I put one box of rounds through it.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Hit the range today. Found some 38 & 357 flat nose fmj locally, both 158 gr. Have a couple of different loads of defensive 38 +P and 357 mag on the way to test fire. 38 felt mild, 357 had a bit of kick but not unpleasant using the wooden monogrip. Have a rubber monogrip in route. I need to practice but overall not too bad for the first time firing the new pistol

on the first target my first 5 shots (all DA) were all a little to the right and my best group was 357 SA and was still shooting a little right. May bring the pistol rest next time to see how much is me and if any is the pistol (likely all me). I definitely feel with a little more practice this will be in my carry rotation.
    1664749569413.jpeg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Sweet pistol, and nice shooting!

Just keep in mind that the SP101 (same as GP100) has one of the easiest triggers to work on to get the weight and feel you want. There are spring and shim kits that are super easy to install, and if you feel more industrious, you can even do an IBOK trigger job to get the weight way down. (or just have a qualified gunsmith do the work)

My 3" SP101 has a sub-2lb single action pull that makes it a dream to shoot.

2012-10-22_09-12-32_358.jpg

Last edited:

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I completely agree. I have a S&W 66 snubnose; it was my first gun, purchased almost 30 years ago. I plan on passing it down to one of my kids or nephews.

CJM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Sorry, but if the S&W K-frame handled 357 without problems S&W never would have made their L-frame revolvers; stay away from K-frames in 357 the forcing cone will crack after firing a thousand or so 125 grain defense loads.
    A J-frame handles 357 much better than the K-frames, despite the greater recoil and heavier trigger; and is lighter and smaller for concealed carry.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Sorry, but if the S&W K-frame handled 357 without problems S&W never would have made their L-frame revolvers; stay away from K-frames in 357 the forcing cone will crack after firing a thousand or so 125 grain defense loads.
    A J-frame handles 357 much better than the K-frames, despite the greater recoil and heavier trigger; and is lighter and smaller for concealed carry.
    Correct as far as everything I have heard. I do like to shoot my "K" frames and shoot 158gr full power rounds and have had no problems. Just the 110/125 gr rounds seem to be the problem. Jim.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    Now that you've got the SP101 in the safe, I am here to peer pressure you into the 19 comp carry. In all seriousness your revolver is beautiful. Love the 3" barrels. I've thought about an sp101 and shot many but never found one for a price I liked. I really like how the Ruger revolvers are built (dare I say overbuilt). I might have to start looking again for a 101, but that'll have to be after I find a comp carry.

Cheers,

Drew

Top Bottom