• ...and so much more!
  • Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I fondled a 686 plus, 3” today at a LGS. That is a lot of pistol And likely more than I would be able to comfortably carry. Looking for a 66 nearby to see how it feels.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I fondled a 686 plus, 3” today at a LGS. That is a lot of pistol And likely more than I would be able to comfortably carry. Looking for a 66 nearby to see how it feels.
    The 66 will be slightly lighter, it's still a chunk for carry. They will feel pretty similar. I do like the balance of the shorter underlug on the 66. If it does still feel like to much, try to get your hands on a fixed sight model, 13, 65, 10, 15. Not sure where Westfield is, but if you are close to the north hit me up and you can lay hands on some.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    The 66 will be slightly lighter, it's still a chunk for carry. They will feel pretty similar. I do like the balance of the shorter underlug on the 66. If it does still feel like to much, try to get your hands on a fixed sight model, 13, 65, 10, 15. Not sure where Westfield is, but if you are close to the north hit me up and you can lay hands on some.
    The model 66 is a great gun, I have a -2, 4"
    They do not recommend a be steady diet of 125gn. full house loads though. The 686 on the other hand was built to handle them.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Thanks for the offer, Westfield is a northern suburb of Indy so your neck of the woods is quite the field trip! I bet if I try I will find one closer!

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    i made the same decision after buying a 3" model 13. it's a bit much for carry, especially concealed in summer clothes

my recent purchase was a j frame, model 649 - a perfect pocket gun as I see.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I notice a lack of enthusiasm for the Colt. It’s now kinda, sorta a CZ but also noticed not much of a following on the interwebs as well. I suppose I should take that as a sign.
    I’ve always been partial to pre-lock S&Ws (I refuse to buy one with the lock) but I wanted to try something different and picked up one of the new King Cobras. I actually like it quite a bit and don’t anticipate getting rid of it anytime soon. That said, the cylinder release would be enough for me to rule it out as a carry option.

Someone mentioned the Kimber which is worth looking into if you can find it for a reasonable price. I have the 2” DAO model and the trigger easily outclasses the trigger on my PC 442.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Of the ones listed, I'd probably go with the SP101 as it would carry the best, but I recently sold mine off to pay for a 3" Model 60 J-Frame that shoots just as good and carries even better. I'd love one of those Model 19 Carry Comps, but I've tried toting a K or L frame size gun and find they're just too bulky...I always end up back at my J-Frames. I don't find the recoil of the 3" Model 60 to be that objectionable, even shooting Magnums...but then again I also own and shoot a 2 3/4" Model 69, which takes things to a whole other level. My carry load of choice, the 135gr Speer Gold Dot Shot Barrel .357, is pretty moderate...right around 1150fps, and neither the rcoil or the flash are particularly punishing.

I think you should take a look at the Kimber K6S as well...6 shots instead of 5, available in DAO or with an exposed hammer, and right about the same size as an SP101. I've not owned one of those, or even shot one, but everything I hear is good.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Here is an unconventional 4" option. When these first came out, I was turned off by the non-traditional look but then a fellow INGOer let me shoot his and I was impressed. This model is on my "when I win the lottery" list.

Was following a used 686 SSR on GB today, was thinking about bidding but got involved in a project when it ended. Went for $680 And looked pretty clean. May have to keep looking and find one to fondle. I may have to go on the short list.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think you should take a look at the Kimber K6S as well...6 shots instead of 5, available in DAO or with an exposed hammer, and right about the same size as an SP101. I've not owned one of those, or even shot one, but everything I hear is good.
    I had a Kimber K6S DAO for a while...ended up selling it and keeping the 2.25" SP101...
    I think I kept the SP101 and sold the Kimber for three (3) reasons...
    a. I was just more familiar with the SP101, it's handling, etc., and comfort is a good thing.
    b. I preferred the grip(s) and other options available for the SP101 that were not available for the Kimber.
    c. The Kimber weighed enough more that I found it less comfortable to carry all day compared to the SP101...and the Scandium S&W J-Framed Model 360 is even lighter than the Ruger SP101, by nearly 1/2!

r1yDDyP.jpg

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    All you revolver shooters here, check out the Wildcat Valley Snubby match on October 9th. Snub-nose revolvers w/ 3" or less barrels. The 686 is too heavy for their stated limit, but my 3" 66 will be fun to shoot. Bring out your snubbies and join the fun. The scoring is set up to favor 5-shot guns in order to offset the advantage of the 6-shot revolvers. All you guys with five or six shot snubbies should bring them out for some practice. They put on great ICORE matches. Check out the link for details:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/wvrpc-snubby-match-october-9th.525698/

Top Bottom