• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I picked up my first black powder gun today. I went to check out the new Cabela's in Noblesville and walked out with a Pietta made "Colt" 1851 Navy steel frame in .36 and all the goodies to go with it.

It seems a really nice gun for as cheap as they are and I can see it multiplying in the near future.

It's my first experience with black powder, but after watching Hickok45, the cannon guys, and others on YouTube and handling some at NRA 2013 I finally decided to give them a try. I plan to take it slow and learn as much as I can before actually I load it up.
    20161104_154029.jpg

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Jan 5, 2013
    I have a brass framed Pietta 1851 in .44. It is the most naturally pointing handgun I've handled. Shoots a dream.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That's pretty. You weren't showing that off to someone in a parking lot on East Washington Street today were you?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Looks good! I've got the same one. Lots of fun and I've learned so much about blackpowder with it. I also really look forward to expanding my blackpowder collection. I've had decent luck with mine, I did break a couple of the sear and bolt springs. They use a flat spring which is weak, I have a habit of working the action on that one while watching westerns..... Anyway, a good fix is using a modified Wolff 1873 wire spring. Triple K makes a really nice holster for those that's really affordable.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I bought a .44 version a long time ago. Picked it up at the gun store in the (long closed) Dogpatch USA Amusement Park in Arkansas, it was themed after the 'Lil Abner comic strip. How many amusement parks have gun stores? I shot it a lot, but now pretty much just use it to fire paper wads on the 4th of July...it's getting a bit 'loose' and rattily. It was a lot of fun, enjoy.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have 7 Navy 1851's. Shoot them for years in SASS. They do shoot. A good load is 18 gr FFFg black powder by weight, lubed felt wad and a .380 round ball. The felt wad is used so you can shoot more than 5-10 rounds and still hit the target. The felt wad also makes it easy to clean the barrel. Now a story. My son and a friend were shooting one day, son a Glock 19 gen 2 and friend an M&P 9mm. I loaded one of the 51's stepped out of the house and shot their target. 5 rounds through a 3 leaf clover shape one handed at 25 yards. Both boys were 19 so thought they could shoot. They stopped shooting and I went back in the house knowing I couldn't do it a second time. The gun from the bench was only good for 2 1/2" at 25 yards slow fire.
    Do Not Drop Hammer on a Cap if there is a loaded chamber with no cap on it. Can cause a chain fire!!!!

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the new BP gun. We have two in our house and if I ever want to do a nice, slow relaxing range trip, one of those is what I'll shoot. There's just something cathartic about the rhythm and process of shooting BP. It's best done wearing a cowboy hat and boots though.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Congratulations. I love BP guns. The '51 Navy is one of the best handling handguns of all time. Perfect size and balance. I foresee another in the not too distant future.

Seancass

Master
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I wasn't going to say anything, but...
    This makes me so happy! :D I love my bp revolvers. And I never shoot them, I just love owning them. I just got a conversion cylinder in 32cal for one, so that one is definitely getting used!

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Took the same plunge on Cabela's Website

Have not taken it out yet but excited, it is a beautiful handgun & Hickok45 got me sold too

For all others -- goes on sale for $150 pretty with free shipping from time to time

I picked up my first black powder gun today. I went to check out the new Cabela's in Noblesville and walked out with a Pietta made "Colt" 1851 Navy steel frame in .36 and all the goodies to go with it.

It seems a really nice gun for as cheap as they are and I can see it multiplying in the near future.

It's my first experience with black powder, but after watching Hickok45, the cannon guys, and others on YouTube and handling some at NRA 2013 I finally decided to give them a try. I plan to take it slow and learn as much as I can before actually I load it up.
    View attachment 50989

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Congrats on the new BP gun. We have two in our house and if I ever want to do a nice, slow relaxing range trip, one of those is what I'll shoot. There's just something cathartic about the rhythm and process of shooting BP. It's best done wearing a cowboy hat and boots though.
    Amen!! There is nothing like a BP range day.. relaxing, and quite a change from the rapid fire tacticool guys shooting their guns!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

View attachment 50989

Love the BP revolvers.

Be careful though....they tend to convince you even numbers are even better.

photo.JPG

Top Bottom