• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay good morning everyone. So I have tried to search this on the web and really can't find much. I currently have xfinity for my internet and I come super close to the 1.2T of data every month and looks like this month it's going to be over. I am running a modem and apple router, both are at least 5 years old. I don't really have any problems with them though, other then a few disconnects here and there and then it is up and running again.

Comcast offers unlimited data with their X1 modem and router in one for $25 per month ( that includes the rental fee and unlimited data ) or I can buy just unlimited data for $30 per month and keep the stuff I have or buy new from the store and just not use the Comcast one. I guess the question is how secure is the Comcast version vs something I buy at the store and does anyone else here have this set up and how is it?

Full disclosure the $5 mo difference doesn't matter so just the best option

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Okay good morning everyone. So I have tried to search this on the web and really can't find much. I currently have xfinity for my internet and I come super close to the 1.2T of data every month and looks like this month it's going to be over. I am running a modem and apple router, both are at least 5 years old. I don't really have any problems with them though, other then a few disconnects here and there and then it is up and running again.

Comcast offers unlimited data with their X1 modem and router in one for $25 per month ( that includes the rental fee and unlimited data ) or I can buy just unlimited data for $30 per month and keep the stuff I have or buy new from the store and just not use the Comcast one. I guess the question is how secure is the Comcast version vs something I buy at the store and does anyone else here have this set up and how is it?

Full disclosure the $5 mo difference doesn't matter so just the best option
    The new device should be more secure than your 5 year old devices. Network security changes quickly and support for newer things doesn't usually make it into older devices.

Having said that, your Internet router is not where you should be focusing for security. It is on your usage patterns and hardening your end devices. Don't open any holes that allow anything into your network.

So my suggestion is save the $5 a month.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I use the stock DOCSIS 3 that comes with service. But I disable its wireless capabilitites and use my own wireless firewall/router behind the Xfinity modem.

Doing a speedtest.com I'm getting about 50MB throughput down/20 up

And +1 for securing your end devices. I run Linux so it''s not much of a problem for me to keep secured.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If you need support first thing the help desk will do is blame your equipment, I'd go with the rental. As others stated secure your end points.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    If possible you want something with wpa3 aes/tkip and a random wireless password of at least 15 characters of CAPS lowers, numbers and special characters like#$%@ in as random order as you can get.. until the are producing quantum computers, that type of password should be virtually un-crackable.. also make sure the firewall in the router/modem uses SPI (statetull packet inspection)
    I'm guessing your older equipment might not support such things

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yeah I do not know anything about any of this stuff you guys are talking about..LOL. I am assuming I do not have any of it now other than my password. I do not have any smart home devices to worry about just our computers and phones. I signed up today for the modem and router from them so should get it in a few days and might need some advice then with what to do. I can pay for the help with dime bags of 9mm:shady:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use the same 31 character password for everything.
    Yep, that's bad all around. Your 31 character password is subject to the weakest provider that you use it with. Then the person who gets it moves laterally and tries it everywhere they can.

Really randomly generated and unique passwords for anything you care about is the way to go, along with multi factor authentication whenever possible, unless the account offers passwordless with an authenticator app, etc.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Yeah I do not know anything about any of this stuff you guys are talking about..LOL. I am assuming I do not have any of it now other than my password. I do not have any smart home devices to worry about just our computers and phones. I signed up today for the modem and router from them so should get it in a few days and might need some advice then with what to do. I can pay for the help with dime bags of 9mm:shady:
    Wait, no smart home devices, and you are maxing out your 1.2Tb limit every month?

I have 4 teens in my house, 5 smart tv's, 2 gaming consoles, 5 laptops, 2 cameras, smart thermostat, and I use around 1-1.1Tb of data each month. I had the kids disconnect their phones from WiFi, and just use LTE, but gaming consoles, computers, and TV's are always going.

What are you doing to use that much data each month?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I use the same 31 character password for everything.
    Even though it's a strong password, if one account is hacked from the backend and they get you password, it will be used to enter your other accounts. I do have a common password for unimportant things like internet forums.

Not only do I use different passwords but I do not answer personal questions honestly I make up bazaar answers and record them on an encrypted thumb Drive for passwd recovery only

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    As to your original question, I have had Comcast for a few years. I used their equipment at my last house with Fiber internet and the WiFi was slooooow. Especially when we had everyone home on their devices. Absolutely no reason for 250mbps fiber service to be slow. I bridged their router and installed my own $150 router, and it was much, much faster. Their equipment is junk.

Even if you do use their equipment for the unlimited data, I would recommend disabling the WiFi and using your own router(s). I personally like the mesh network routers, and currently use Orbi.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I hate that the home Internet industry has conflated routers and access points.
    Problem is most access points are also routers and the flipside many routers are also access points.

You almost always have to read the fine print specifications to be sure.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As noted up thread security changes rapidly, ISP provided equipment does not. If the $ is not an issue my choice would be a security focused router (google pfsense and Ubiquity USG) and a wireless AP of your choice. This can simply be a WiFi router with the routing turned off or even your existing equipment.

That said the most likely attack surface for most people is the vendors and services that you use rather than your personal router and network.

This is coming from someone who just jumped through hoops to break into my ISP provided equipment to get the authorization keys that allow me to remove it from my setup. Oh and I still have to pay their equipment fee.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As noted up thread security changes rapidly, ISP provided equipment does not. If the $ is not an issue my choice would be a security focused router (google pfsense and Ubiquity USG) and a wireless AP of your choice. This can simply be a WiFi router with the routing turned off or even your existing equipment.

That said the most likely attack surface for most people is the vendors and services that you use rather than your personal router and network.

This is coming from someone who just jumped through hoops to break into my ISP provided equipment to get the authorization keys that allow me to remove it from my setup. Oh and I still have to pay their equipment fee.
    Most people are better off not getting their own equipment. If you are one that will take the time and make the effort to keep your stuff upgraded, great get your own stuff. If not, Comcast will help users keep their equipment relatively up to date.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Even though it's a strong password, if one account is hacked from the backend and they get you password, it will be used to enter your other accounts. I do have a common password for unimportant things like internet forums.

Not only do I use different passwords but I do not answer personal questions honestly I make up bazaar answers and record them on an encrypted thumb Drive for passwd recovery only
    I use Password safe to store my random passwords and generate my random passwords for every site I ever log into. I do the same thing with the personal questions. IE :Mother's Maiden Name? 32PogoSticks

Password safe has been in use here for 5 or 6 years...so I don't have to bother memorizing my passwords. Password safe knows them all...as long as I don't forget the password to my password safe. Then you're kinda screwed.

I also change all my social media passwords once a month.

Reactions: KLB
    Top Bottom