• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    PCP air rifles can you fill them with an 150psi air compressor?
    I don't think so. I'm intrigued but I'm reading about 3000 psi compressors and other expensive accessories.

It would be cool to have a big bore suppressed air rifle though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't think so. I'm intrigued but I'm reading about 3000 psi compressors and other expensive accessories.

It would be cool to have a big bore suppressed air rifle though.
    I ask because I read that hand pumps can fill them. I don't see how. If a hand pump can I would think a constant 150psi would also. Of course these pumps I read about may not be your normal bicycle pump.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I ask because I read that hand pumps can fill them. I don't see how. If a hand pump can I would think a constant 150psi would also. Of course these pumps I read about may not be your normal bicycle pump.
    You're correct that the can be hand pumped. Also correct that it's using a special hand pump (not for bike tires).

These PCP pumps range in price and also require many pumps to bring an empty tank up to whatever few thousand psi the rifle requires. So it's a workout, I'm reading anyway.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    PCP air guns are the latest tech I think. I have two. One is pretty expensive. A Daystate huntsman .22 with a nice scope. Scope and gun with silencer was close to $1800. I have a Benjamin marauder woods walker .22 . Came with an okay scope. Red dot but not magnification. It was about $750 with silencer. I bought a $400 air compressor. The hand pump thing gets old. I have one I tried at first. And I guess it’s backup if we lose power. But the electric compressor is so nice. Hand pump up to 4500 psi is tough. Also have a Weihrauch break barrel with a scope. It was about $600. It came with a nice scope and built in silencer. It’s only .177 so I only get house sparrows with it. The Daystate is my most powerful gun and I can take out starlings a long ways and even kill a raccoon with one head shot. The marauder converts to a pistol with a quick change of included parts. I’ve gotten all my guns from air guns of Arizona. If you wanna check out any of mine, send me a pm. If you don’t wanna get into pcp guns yet, I’d suggest the Weihrauch. It’s German made and quality.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I've been lurking in this thread since inception and it inspired me to do some research. Wow, there's alot to take in on the subject of airguns!

I personally lean towards the single shot variable pump rifle like the Benji's mentioned upthread if for no other reason than for the portability and completeness. Pump it up up, fire, pump. Nothing extra to carry or spend alot of time/effort to refill as I guess hand pumps take a bit of work to get to pressure.

This page has some good info on hand pumps vs scuba tanks, etc.

But for a SHTF scenario, who'd want to lug around a scuba tank or have to pump for an hour to get the psi needed in a reservios?
    The pump rifles take about 8-12 pumps per shot? What am I missing about the utility of PCPs?

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I've been lurking in this thread since inception and it inspired me to do some research. Wow, there's alot to take in on the subject of airguns!

I personally lean towards the single shot variable pump rifle like the Benji's mentioned upthread if for no other reason than for the portability and completeness. Pump it up up, fire, pump. Nothing extra to carry or spend alot of time/effort to refill as I guess hand pumps take a bit of work to get to pressure.

This page has some good info on hand pumps vs scuba tanks, etc.

But for a SHTF scenario, who'd want to lug around a scuba tank or have to pump for an hour to get the psi needed in a reservios?
    The pump rifles take about 8-12 pumps per shot? What am I missing about the utility of PCPs?
    Super quiet with a silencer. Both of my pcp guns have 8 to 10 round mags. Just run the bolt again and it’s ready to go. My Daystate can go through many mags before it needs more air. The marauder not so much, but it’s only a 3000 psi versus 4500 psi on the Daystate. I’m not sure of velocity but I think the pcp air rifle is stronger. My Weihrauch is nice and simple though, but starlings are tough to take out with it. My Daystate is dangerously powerful. I’d hate to get shot in the head with it.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I use a Scuba Tank to fill my pcp rifles. Both are 3000 psi max, so a tank works. Most dive shops will fill if you sign a formal statement stating it's not for diving.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nearest dive shop is an hour away from me. Nearest place to get nitrogen is 10 minutes. If I can use nitrogen, it would make more sense.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Nearest dive shop is an hour away from me. Nearest place to get nitrogen is 10 minutes. If I can use nitrogen, it would make more sense.
    I see no reason why you couldn't use nitrogen, it is an inert gas. As long as they have the fittings and can achieve the pressure I don't think there would be an issue.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think if you were going to shoot often buying a compressor is the right move. If the scuba shop is 1hr away and nitrogen may be to costly.

May talk to local fire station to find out who they use also, or any industrial SCBA filling station

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If the fire house will work with an ex policeman they might even fill a scuba tank for you if they have the equipment to refill their own tanks.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Here is the pcp compressor I bought. I’m pretty happy with it. So much better than the hand pump. And I don’t have to travel to fill any tanks.

GX CS3 PCP Air Compressor, Auto-Stop,Oil-Free, Built-in Water-Oil Separator Filter, Powered by Car 12V DC or Home 110V AC, 4500Psi/30Mpa,Paintball/Scuba Tank Compressor Pump Amazon product ASIN B0819ZH85H

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    One thing to consider, from what a read, key for long term maintenance is clean dry air. One of the biggest issue corrosion due wet air. Some inexpensive compressors have issues with filtering.

Master tech

Plinker
    Feb 9, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Ruger Blackhawk Combo 4x32 Scope .177 $120 on Amazon.

Fiber optic sites, scope is great for what it is. Took 10 minutes to zero and at 1000fps with Sig Sauer pellets its actually a tack driver with plenty of power for small critters. The whole family has a lot of fun with it these days in our backyard.
    But for cover fire when dealing with armed chipmunks I recommend the DPMS full auto sbr CO2 bb gun in fde. Haha
    We get tons of fun out of both.

Top Bottom