• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been watching Craigslist and FB Marketplace for close to a year now and haven't found any. I'm looking for an old broom from a street sweeper, the long cylindrical type. My Percheron apparently has sensitive skin and he's constantly using my fence to scratch. I've got well made fence but he's 2200lbs+ so it's not going to hold up long term. If anyone has one (or two) they'd part with or know where I can look I'd sure appreciate it.

This is Murphy, I'm 5'9 & 200lbs for scale. As you can see, he can put a lot of force into scratching, this pic was a little over a year ago and he's put on 100lbs+ since we brought him home. I want to set a steel beam in concrete and slide the broom over the top of it.
    Fi4ilQ6h.jpg

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I've been watching Craigslist and FB Marketplace for close to a year now and haven't found any. I'm looking for an old broom from a street sweeper, the long cylindrical type. My Percheron apparently has sensitive skin and he's constantly using my fence to scratch. I've got well made fence but he's 2200lbs+ so it's not going to hold up long term. If anyone has one (or two) they'd part with or know where I can look I'd sure appreciate it.

This is Murphy, I'm 5'9 & 200lbs for scale. As you can see, he can put a lot of force into scratching, this pic was a little over a year ago and he's put on 100lbs+ since we brought him home. I want to set a steel beam in concrete and slide the broom over the top of it.
    Fi4ilQ6h.jpg
    Cool pic! How the heck do you get on him though?! At just under 5'2", I have a hard time getting on any tall horse!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Thanks, I'm not seeing any of the brooms themselves listed, just the entire vehicles. Did you see any on there by chance? I may just be too ignorant of the terminology to find what I'm looking for.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks, I'm not seeing any of the brooms themselves listed, just the entire vehicles. Did you see any on there by chance? I may just be too ignorant of the terminology to find what I'm looking for.
    Relying on my background in both construction and equipment rental and sales, I am going to say the your chances of finding the attachment alone are approaching zero.

Well, things change when you're not watching!

You may be able to buy new separately for an acceptable cost, but beware that the bars arranged into a tube pattern that form the structure and the bristles themselves are separate parts and a real bastard to assemble, so make sure you buy it assembled. The advantage is that you can have all plastic bristles put on a new one rather than the standard alternating plastic and wire disks.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Oh I have to have something to step onto to get on him, no doubt. If I fall off I'm walking him back lol.
    I could see something like a section of the roll up ladder impromptu fire escapes made to fasten on the saddle while climbing up working.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Wish I could help more but we don't run the right type of sweeper. You're looking for a Main broom/brush off of a mechanical sweeper. I'd check with local municipalities. Most of us will be getting our sweepers out soon to prep them for the season, including changing out of brooms.

Might also try Northern Equipment in Plymouth, they do sales and service on sweepers, might have something kicking around.

Hope you find some.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have a box full of brush sections I just replaced on a John Deere snow broom. If your near Fort Wayne I'll save them for you. Cut you a great deal -you pick them up.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the replies folks. They have what I need at the Repurposed Materials website and they're only $50 each so I'd buy four of them in a heartbeat but unfortunately the shipping is another $350 which makes them cost prohibitive. I wish they had them at the Chicago location, I'd make that drive no problem.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have 24. Comes out to about 52" when you stack them. A 6 x6 post would do it I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_120512037.jpg
      IMG_20210302_120512037.jpg
      3 MB · Views: 4
    Top Bottom