I need a stainless steel ish fixed blade knife suggestion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    With my fingers crossed I may get a chance to get away on a backpacking/packrafting/fishing trip next year. It'll be a lot of hiking so not looking for anything heavy, or taking ten different knives with me. It'll be in and around water and I'd like to have something that I can do that with without the worry of maintaining my regular carbon steel blades. I'm not expecting to be cutting a bunch of stuff, I'll probably split some light kindling and I like have a 90 degree spine to make fine fire starting tinder and strike a ferro rod.

Ideally will be full tang, 3.5 - 5 inches long, ideally will come with a 90 degree spine but I can add that no problem, and not a scandi grind preferably a full flat. Also, I'd prefer anything but a leather sheath. I've got my fingers crossed that this blade would work well on fish for some open fire cooking.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a blade steel guru or know all the options out there. The first thing that popped in my mind was a mora garberg, but the scandi grind is a deal breaker for me. Next idea was an esee 4 in stainless or CPM S35VN, but I've already got an esee 4 and wanted to look for something different just for the sake of it and I'm not always a big fan of the choil. Another option and this may be what I end up with is a Mora Light my fire. It's everything but full tang and it's only 4 oz's with a redundant fire starting source included.

So, I'm not really a knife picture kind of guy and I don't really follow all the brands and types that are out there. I thought I'd ask here because I think there's more people here who know more about what options are out there than I do. Budget would be $250 and under but I think there's plenty of options in the $150 or less range that it'd really have to be convincing to go any higher than that.

Any suggestions?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Fallkniven F1. Zytel sheath is great and has a retention strap. Full tang. Square spine. Handy length. Relatively light.

It is a convex grind, so be prepared to sharpen that. Very easy with thick mouse pad and various pieces of sandpaper. Leather strop and compound works great for touch-ups.

Can be found online in many places. Here are two good options. Amazon is another possibility.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Look for a White River Knives Hunter model. Full flat S35VN 3.5" blade 8.25" overall. Out of stock but this is the blade

Kydex sheath available.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom