• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The manual does say to use premium fuel, but I have read from quite a few people online that they run regular with no problems at all. I myself run premium though.
    Using cheap fuel reduces the power available as the knock sensors pull timing out to keep the cheap asses that do this from taking the tops out of the pistons.

If you buy a hot Rod treat like one. Or just buy something that fits you being a scrooge. They say Premium for a good reason.

People.......:dunno:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Most any car that dips into the performance realm is going to want premium. Compression begets HP
    I already knew the answer to the question just wanted to put it out there. I currently drive a Rav4 it takes regular. This is the first car I have had in quite some time that didn't use premium and that is fine by me. At one time the price difference was small but not so much anymore. I enjoyed cars that took premium(Acura CL typeS, SHO's) but at this point in time I can't justify the cost. When I look for newer car it will be one the takes regular fuel and one that doesn't have a CVT.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I already knew the answer to the question just wanted to put it out there. I currently drive a Rav4 it takes regular. This is the first car I have had in quite some time that didn't use premium and that is fine by me. At one time the price difference was small but not so much anymore. I enjoyed cars that took premium(Acura CL typeS, SHO's) but at this point in time I can't justify the cost. When I look for newer car it will be one the takes regular fuel and one that doesn't have a CVT.
    I remember when the next highest grade was always 10 cents higher per gallon than the lower grade (Regular $2.00, Midgrade $2.10, Premium $2.30), but now it seems to jump 30 cents per gallon, so Premium is like 60 cents more per gallon than Regular. All my vehicles just use regular, which is fine by me too.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I understand. My commute was 56 miles each way before covid. For me, the ability to get around idiots on the highway was worth the .30 a gallon I spent.

Of course, now I drive so little it doesn't really matter at all. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I understand. My commute was 56 miles each way before covid. For me, the ability to get around idiots on the highway was worth the .30 a gallon I spent...
    Maybe just in my head, but this is where the manual tranny shines also. Downshift/pedal to floor puts even a little four banger around most, unless they decide to race you.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    You can go on the Ford or Chevy website and "build" a non-extended cab truck, with a tow package for less than 30k(delivered to the dealer). It will be bare bones,but a new truck with plenty of features.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    This is what I have. A 2019 Sport model, which is the last year before they went with the push button shifter and 9 speed automatic. I love the new front end for 2021, which is more "trucky" than my 2019. If I towed a lot, did a lot of off-roading or used a truck for work, I'd get a full size like an F150 or Tundra, but I only need a pickup bed a few times a year so the Ridgeline is perfect. I use the in-bed trunk all the time, something you will not find on any other pickup.

This is the new 2021 model with the revised front end.

Do want. :)

RL.png
    Nice! Now that I’ve had my covid shots I need to go find one of these to test drive.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Maybe just in my head, but this is where the manual tranny shines also. Downshift/pedal to floor puts even a little four banger around most, unless they decide to race you.
    They decide to race a lot on the highway. That whole "you aren't passing me!" frame of mind. I like to to have a car that I know will go around them. It's usually pretty funny watching them when I do. People see a Golf and think slow four banger, not 290HP. In Sport mode, I actually like the DSG. I can go full manual with the paddles, but I very seldom do.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I put 85,000 miles on an '18 Forester and no issues aside from an A/C compressor.

I just rolled 50,000 problem free miles on my '20 Equinox. I think you can buy them pretty well loaded for around $30,000. Mine has the 2.0T with AWD and flies.

Before these company cars, I had a few F150s ('14 and '16) and a '19 Ram. A bit above what you want to spend, but no issues and great resale. I put 60k miles on the Ford and 25k on the Ram.

Since you drive a lot, get something you're comfortable in. I'm a big fan of the panoramic sunroofs, even if you never open them. They let in so much light and make the interior seem that much larger....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They decide to race a lot on the highway. That whole "you aren't passing me!" frame of mind. I like to to have a car that I know will go around them. It's usually pretty funny watching them when I do. People see a Golf and think slow four banger, not 290HP. In Sport mode, I actually like the DSG. I can go full manual with the paddles, but I very seldom do.
    I hardly ever get that on highway.

Just last week, I did have an F150 a-hole immediately take the fast lane as we both turned left at a light. He didn't like me passing him on the slow side and did not let me. Didn't matter much though as we both hit 70 on a country 4 lane 45mph limit road. I didn't wait around after the next light to ask if the gent was offended when I got around and lost him maneuvering through the bypass lanes traffic and lights. :dunno:

Maybe the old "rally car" Focus is faster than I think? Or maybe I just drive it like it is? :cool:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Golf has never been a punk.

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    A cash out refinance to buy a car is a terrible idea.
    Could you please indicate why?
    Depending on where you may be at with your current mortgage and the condition of your home may put you in the zone where that could make sense. Mortgage rates are cheaper than auto loans right now too.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Could you please indicate why?
    Depending on where you may be at with your current mortgage and the condition of your home may put you in the zone where that could make sense. Mortgage rates are cheaper than auto loans right now too.

Adding insecure debt to a home mortgage can really bite you in the butt. If the housing market starts dropping is just one example. Sure interest rates can save someone money but the risk is just too much for me. Over the last 20 years I’ve seen countless coworkers and some friends cash out refinance their homes to buy vehicles, boats, vacations and whatever else. It’s easy “free” money.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Had a Focus hatch back as my work car for 250,000 miles. Loved it. Would have gotten another if the better 2/3's hadn't said no because of us moving north. She said get AWD / 4WD so I bowed to her life experience on the corn tundra and got an Escape. Good move, good work car. Almost 150,000 miles on it and got no complaints except for the goofy modern vertically thin non-pothole-resistant tires. Changing a tire because an I65 pothole ate it in the middle your icy pre-dawn trip to get surgery on an internal organ just doesn't do it for me. Been saying unpleasant things about skinny tires ever since.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Only if it's the 2.0/six speed manual. Which will be limited numbers of them made.

The autos are CVT garbage, and incredibly boring. Imo

Question: I always read about CVT's being garbage, but I never read of any vast numbers of them going bad? I'm not argueing what you say 'cause I don't know that much about them. My wife and I drive Subarus with the CVT, hence my interest to learn more about them.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Question: I always read about CVT's being garbage, but I never read of any vast numbers of them going bad? I'm not argueing what you say 'cause I don't know that much about them. My wife and I drive Subarus with the CVT, hence my interest to learn more about them.

I've personally seen a Nissan go through 3 cvt transmissions in 23k miles, and know of plenty of others that are very troublesome. No experience with the Subaru CVT though.

But the OP said not so boring that he prays for a car crash, so that alone rules out 150hp with cvt. Imo

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom