• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have some property in Noblesville and I want to build a large pole barn. We intend on building a house on the same property some day, but having a large storage barn would be incredibly useful to me right now. I haven't looked into it much, but to my understanding the county wants you to build your primary residence before (or at the same time as a barn). We aren't ready to build the house yet and likely wouldn't build for 1.5-3 years. I'm looking for a builder who has recent experience in the county and may have a fresh understanding of obtaining a variance to build the barn first. Looking for something approximately 40'x60'. Please let me know if you know anyone who I could speak to.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have some property in Noblesville and I want to build a large pole barn. We intend on building a house on the same property some day, but having a large storage barn would be incredibly useful to me right now. I haven't looked into it much, but to my understanding the county wants you to build your primary residence before (or at the same time as a barn). We aren't ready to build the house yet and likely wouldn't build for 1.5-3 years. I'm looking for a builder who has recent experience in the county and may have a fresh understanding of obtaining a variance to build the barn first. Looking for something approximately 40'x60'. Please let me know if you know anyone who I could speak to.
    Hamilton county WILL NOT allow you to build just a barn. Also your barn size will be determined by the square footage of your house.

PM me and we can discusse more.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hamilton county WILL NOT allow you to build just a barn. Also your barn size will be determined by the square footage of your house.

PM me and we can discusse more.
    Gotta love the .gov overreach. Telling you what, when, and how you can build on your property. Such a crock of ****!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Gotta love the .gov overreach. Telling you what, when, and how you can build on your property. Such a crock of ****!
    This is exactly why we went outside the doughnut counties. The rural counties may not have a lot of money for road or infrastructure, but really, that's not why I'm out there. To that point, I'm not out there for comfortable, convenient travel.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. A total crock.

So if I'm single and like toys, I cant build a 1500sft 2br house and a large enough barn to store my boat, RV, ATVs, etc inside, as well as room for a wood/work shop? Give me a break.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    This is exactly why we went outside the doughnut counties. The rural counties may not have a lot of money for road or infrastructure, but really, that's not why I'm out there. To that point, I'm not out there for comfortable, convenient travel.
    Amen to that! Not to mention it's much more quiet and peaceful...

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I advise you to stay away from Cleary or at least proceed with caution. They built two pole barns for me. Overall the quality is good but there were a couple of real problems in the construction. Their customer service is poor and they're not responsive after the build is finished.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yes. A total crock.

So if I'm single and like toys, I cant build a 1500sft 2br house and a large enough barn to store my boat, RV, ATVs, etc inside, as well as room for a wood/work shop? Give me a break.
    That sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to be filed to me. :thumbsup:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thinking about it a bit. It seems strange they wouldn't want that extra tax revenue from having a structure on the property. Seems to me 40×60 pole barn could incur another $500+ in tax money per year

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thinking about it a bit. It seems strange they wouldn't want that extra tax revenue from having a structure on the property. Seems to me 40×60 pole barn could incur another $500+ in tax money per year
    But gotta keep the property values up by not having an eyesore gigantobarn, or worse, storing stuff there that shouldnt be, like heavy equipment.

I too think its ridiculous. There is property on the road I grew up on in Hendricks county that just has barns on it. Its part of a farmer's property where he stores equipment.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Read the code carefully. Have a blacks law dictionary nearby.

I am building some structures here in Hendricks county. Since they are not PERMANENT by Indiana code, the county can pound sand in terms of taxes and permit requirements.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Have it "framed" Internally as a barndominium. "house" and barn at the same time.

Then remove the internal framing. :-D

Why no, I'm neither a lawyer nor a building inspector, why do you ask?

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Right choice. The doughnut counties are quickly becoming urban, not just suburbs.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Read the code carefully. Have a blacks law dictionary nearby.

I am building some structures here in Hendricks county. Since they are not PERMANENT by Indiana code, the county can pound sand in terms of taxes and permit requirements.
    Any further explanation on this? Never heard of this. What is a barn that is not permanent?

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In the areas being discussed they couldn’t care less about that $500 on 5-10 acres. They are building apartments at frenetic pace. Why? 24 units per acre bringing in $1200-$2500 per month paying 2% property tax. The average apartment costs $75,000 per unit to build making the 24 units worth 1,800,000, paying $36,000 per year in property taxes, PER ACRE.

Top Bottom