• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Streaming music has been awesome for me as a whole. I've found so many great artists that I would have no way of discovering via commercials-interrupted-by-occasional-music radio or other sources. I enjoy that I only risk my time to listen to an album now as opposed to 3 hours take home pay as a high schooler. I highly enjoy the portability and the lack of physical space a massive collection takes up, no "dang it, that cassette is in the car" or "that album is at home" moments when you want to hear a given song...

But there's no album art. I only recently realized how much I missed the art and the liner notes and the like. I've considered buying some vinyl of a few bands even though I don't own a record player just for the display of the album jacket. Which leads to this puzzle of illogic. Is it more foolish to buy records without a record player just to have the art or is it more foolish to spend money on a record player to listen to records that I could more easily listen to on streaming but that I bought for the art. The first option "wastes" the records. The second requires more wasted money to not feel like I wasted some of the first money despite the fact I am still wasting the money either way but in a more satisfying way...

Then I wondered why artists don't just sell pre-framed album jackets. Then I wondered WTF I was so far down this rabbit hole. Then I subjected you to this and you apparently read the whole thing for some reason. Go to bed.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I get album art on my phone and on the touch screen in my car. I think I actually see the album art more frequently now than in the era of CD’s.

E37EFD1F-A191-4124-9978-DF1BDF30F3D9.png
    7EEE7B4C-F71F-4D6D-BBF1-905D93484C65.png

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Streaming music has been awesome for me as a whole. I've found so many great artists that I would have no way of discovering via commercials-interrupted-by-occasional-music radio or other sources. I enjoy that I only risk my time to listen to an album now as opposed to 3 hours take home pay as a high schooler. I highly enjoy the portability and the lack of physical space a massive collection takes up, no "dang it, that cassette is in the car" or "that album is at home" moments when you want to hear a given song...

But there's no album art. I only recently realized how much I missed the art and the liner notes and the like. I've considered buying some vinyl of a few bands even though I don't own a record player just for the display of the album jacket. Which leads to this puzzle of illogic. Is it more foolish to buy records without a record player just to have the art or is it more foolish to spend money on a record player to listen to records that I could more easily listen to on streaming but that I bought for the art. The first option "wastes" the records. The second requires more wasted money to not feel like I wasted some of the first money despite the fact I am still wasting the money either way but in a more satisfying way...

Then I wondered why artists don't just sell pre-framed album jackets. Then I wondered WTF I was so far down this rabbit hole. Then I subjected you to this and you apparently read the whole thing for some reason. Go to bed.
    It's the nostalgia. The days of vinyl and album art bring back a lot of memories. Another thing I miss is the experience of going to the music shop sifting through albums and all the cool stuff that they used to have on display.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We have over 1500 cataloged albums in our collection and just had a brand new one delivered the other day, I just don't know what you're talking about OP.:dunno:;)

I'm not much on streaming or digital music except maybe CD's; if I spend money on music I want something tangible instead of an online account although we do have Sirius XM for road trips. Other than the mentioned storage space we have no complaints with the medium of vinyl.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I love music, even traveled with a couple local bands. Album art was never really important to me. I'm also not into band tshirts etc. I just want to hear the music or go to a live show.....

Im about to really sound like a burn out here but.

"It's all about the music...man" (Tommy Chong voice)

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    ab67616d0000b27385bc3b24dd834a6dfbb876da

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's the nostalgia. The days of vinyl and album art bring back a lot of memories. Another thing I miss is the experience of going to the music shop sifting through albums and all the cool stuff that they used to have on display.

In this case, not for me. I don't actually want the vinyl and the albums are new and people I'd never heard of long enough ago to be nostalgic for. I just like the art.

Reactions: KG1
    Top Bottom