I just feel like telling a story to get my mind off of things.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    This story doesn't really have a point, so don't look for one. :)

It's just a slice of life.

When I was a kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old or so, I'd sometimes hop the city bus after school and go downtown to where my Mom worked. She worked for my Uncle (Godfather) in a law office. My "Aunt and Uncle" (not related, but close enough to the family to be called such) also worked in the office, with some other partners.

This was in the Wilder Building, in Rochester, NY. You can read about it here:

Wilder Building

You can see the staircase in the entryway in the pictures, but what you can't see is that the staircases on the upper floors wound around that one, and there was a gap in the middle of them so you could see all the way down between them, at least from the sixth floor where my Mom worked. One day, I walked into the building and inexplicably, there was a bunch of BBs laying around on the main floor, right by that staircase. I gathered up as much as them as I could find, and as my Mom was busy at the time I arrived, my Aunt painted a dot with White Out on a few of them, so I could drop them down six floors, then run down the six flights to try to find them. It was goofy great fun.

There was a hamburger stand next to that building that had the most awesome hamburgers, and I'd beg my Mom for money to get a couple. There was an Army/Navy store a few doors down where me and my best friend Dave would take the bus down to on the weekends to get gear to play "Vietnam" (Dave's brother was in Vietnam at the time).

So there's your story with no point. Hope you like it.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Bigelow's department store in Western NY had a staircase like that. The book store was on the top floor, I always had to resist the temptation to drop things...

It was Lucille Ball's home town, they have a neat museum there now. Bigelow's was in one of her episodes.

Don

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So many memory's like this from the youth days.
    Things that come to the front when you read a story like that.
    A nice break from the daily grind....:)

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Liked the story, and being a betting man, I'm betting there's more of this story to share...................whenever you're ready.
    That's the extent of that story. Just a funny thing that happened way back when.

But it's not the extent of MY story. I've got a lot of funny little anecdotes like that. Like, when I was 3 years old or so, my Mom and Dad owned a liquor store. They took me to work with them one day, and I was driving a toy truck around on the floor behind the counter. I noticed there was a doorbell on the floor right by the cash register, so I pushed it, expecting to hear a doorbell ring. I didn't hear any doorbell ring, so I pushed it a few more times. Still no doorbell sound. A few minutes later, the cops show up, guns drawn.

I was then educated on what a silent alarm was, and that I was never to push that "doorbell" again. :abused:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    That's the extent of that story. Just a funny thing that happened way back when.

But it's not the extent of MY story. I've got a lot of funny little anecdotes like that. Like, when I was 3 years old or so, my Mom and Dad owned a liquor store. They took me to work with them one day, and I was driving a toy truck around on the floor behind the counter. I noticed there was a doorbell on the floor right by the cash register, so I pushed it, expecting to hear a doorbell ring. I didn't hear any doorbell ring, so I pushed it a few more times. Still no doorbell sound. A few minutes later, the cops show up, guns drawn.

I was then educated on what a silent alarm was, and that I was never to push that "doorbell" again. :abused:
    ...and that reminds me of a friend's story. My friend got a call from the local PD inquiring if everything was ok there at his house. Confused, my friend replied "yes, why?" What had happened was that the grandson that they were watching was missing some of his baseball cards and had dialed up 911 to report that someone had stolen his baseball cards and he wanted to know what they were going to do about it.

Top Bottom