• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Picture1-2.png

We're getting slammed. A tornado was spotted on the ground south of here (I'm in Valparaiso), heavy wind damage (trees knocked over like crazy) and tons of rain.

I hope the rest of you guys further south of us where the tornado(s) hit are doing ok.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Rule #1: Stay Safe.

Thanks for the report from ValPo.... I just turned the radio on. So far, the Central Indiana Severe Weather Net doesn't appear to be online.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    From our weather reports, the tornado that set our sirens off was spotted on the ground in Lowell and was moving south east.

I agree, stay safe folks.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    MUNSTER | Storms quickly moved through the region Monday night, carrying with high winds, lightning and rotating clouds that spawned tornado warnings throughout Cook County -- including downtown Chicago -- and Lake and Porter counties.

The storm, which crossed the state line just after 8 p.m., downed trees and power lines.

In Lansing, electrical and phone service was lost at the Lansing Police Department. Power is out in several locations including downtown and southeast Lansing north of Glenwood-Lansing Road and west of Burnham Avenue. Street lights were out at 186th Street and Wentworth Avenue and a large tree has fallen at 186th Street east of Burnham Avenue. Traffic lights are out at Burnham Avenue and Ridge Road.

ComEd reports 100,000 customers are without power.

In Indiana, the Crown Point police station and city hall lost power.

The storm halted the RailCats game in Gary about 8:33 p.m. As lightning and thunder descended on The Steel Yard, fans gathered on the concourse beneath a Suite-level overhang and watched as rain flooded the visiting dugout. The game was eventually suspended with the RailCats leading 7-2 in the top of the fifth inning.

Jimmie Johns restaurant in Munster lost power shortly after 8 p.m. according to manager Cheryl Sykora.

In Chicago, thousands of fans attending a Chicago Cubs/Houston Astros baseball game at Wrigley Field were evacuated to the stadium's concourse. Officials warned fans through a public address system and on the scoreboard to get into the lower levels of the stadium.

National Weather Service Meteorologist Brad Churchill says winds could reach between 60 to 80 miles an hour.

Storms rumble through region / nwi.com

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm just west of Lowell, roads here are flooded over. West Creek breached it banks. Several farm fields flooded out onto the roads and closed some of the rural roadways. We lost power about a dozen times last night, but never for more than a few minutes. No damage on my property, at least not around the area of our house, but I suspect some of the corn crop is history as we are adjacent to West Creek and the lowlands along the creek are planted with corn this year. If it drains quick enough the crop will be OK but if the rains continue for days some of the corn crop will be lost.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Melensdad, I'm glad you are ok and didn't have too much in the way of property damage. You guys were right in the thick of it.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It was insane here (I live 2 miles from Cabelas in Hammond). We actually heard a tornado when the first front came thru. First time for me hearing one that wasn't on TV. Wild stuff.

My place came out without any damage except my old computer got fried. On the plus side I bought a sweet new laptop today at costco so I'm not really that down about it ;)

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    my house was spared (munster) but still without power, (at a friends house now). I have never seen anything this bad!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    my house was spared (munster) but still without power, (at a friends house now). I have never seen anything this bad!

I have 4 relatives in Munster who are without power, have downed trees in their yards, etc and 3 others in Munster who have no damage, no problems. Seems the bulk of the issues are along Ridge Road and areas of North of that street (that is also where many of the big old trees used to stand).

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    We have friends here in town (Valpo) that are still without power. Rumor has it that 4,000 people here in town are still without power, total.

There are lots and lots of trees down around town.

Top Bottom