I have been reinforcing my decision to never again fly in an airplane.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Turn left at 40 and take 26 to 95 and go down the Atlantic side
    When I was younger, we used to schedule trips like that, taking different routes and seeing different sites, but for the last several years, long drives are just too much for me, I get back, shoulder and neck aches, and end up needing a day of rest just to recover from the drive.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was strictly against ever flying again, until the last time I drove through Atlanta. I’ll be flying to Florida in October.

Atlanta is hit or miss, although I'm sure during Spring Break it's always hit. There are times you can get through pretty smoothly as long as you avoid rush hours. Unlike, say, Houston which as best I can tell is always in some variation of rush hour. 0200 on a Wednesday? I-10 is still bumper to bumper.

We're heading out on a lengthy road trip soon. I'd way rather fly, but I want/need my truck for "unmaintained roads", trails, and service roads to do some of the things we want to do. People talk about the Jetsons' flying car technology, but I'm way more impressed with the fact it folded up into a suitcase that was light enough to carry and casually toss on your desk once you got to work. *That* is the scientific breakthrough I'm looking for.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My son just got back from australia. 16 hour flight out of O'Hare. How is that even possible? Not for me thanks.

Amman Jordan is about the same. It's a tough one, TBH, but I just keep in mind people used to do it via steam ship or via sail, I'm unlikely to get scurvy during the outing, and suddenly it seems much less burdensome.

Royal Jordianian will duct tape you too a chair if you act a fool, which does sometimes provide a free floor show...

Anyway, if the milage chart doesn't change too much, we're going to try and go to AUS next year. We've got the miles for 2 of us to go for $110 each plus miles, just need to top off enough for #3 if our son wants to go.

I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    Hear hear. I'm old enough to remember when flying was actually a pleasant experience. In this post 9/11 era of rude & hopelessly incompetent TSA agents, more invasive screening and ever-decreasing seat size and leg room, I'll just drive to wherever I need to go. Should I ever travel overseas, I'll either go by sea or just stay home.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The first time I flew I was about 7 or 8 years old, so around 1971 or or so. It was a fun and exciting experience. My mom made me dress well. Everyone was dressed well and were happy and friendly. Pilot invited me to the cockpit and gave me plastic pilot wings.

I joined the Army in 1984, spent 22 years in, so I got to fly in a lot of commercial airlines besides the fixed and rotary wing military aircraft. Over time, I got to see the deterioration in the commercial air experience. Greyhound of the skies indeed. It became like a gun show. Poorly dressed, unbathed, unfriendly people.

Then, after 9/11, TSA decided to add to the distatefullnes of the experience. I flew one time after 9/11, out of necessity, and I vowed to never fly again.

Well, what I have been doing to reinforce that decision is bingeing the TV show "Air Disasters" Holy f, their reenactments are wild. You can quote me statistics about how it it safer than some other forms of travel. I don't care. Sure, I may die in a car accident, but it wont be plunging to the planet from several thousand feet, inverted, at 400 miles an hour, with minutes to consider how I'm about to become splattered across the landscape and indistinguishable from the remains of the other poor souls on the plane with me.

I can't imagine any scenario where I ever get on an aircraft again.
    The Zombie Apocalypse might change your mind !

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I travel to California regularly for my job. Cattle car, bus with wings, all that is true but I have to admit, sure takes less time than driving. But I draw the line at getting on the plane. F*** that! Let Evil Knevil get on the plane, I'm getting in the plane!

Top Bottom