I have been reinforcing my decision to never again fly in an airplane.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    BBC said:
    . Passengers crisscross the globe four billion times annually. Each can pick from over 22,000 routes flown by over 25,000 commercial jets that collectively account for over 42 million flights.

Just posting the above quote from a BBC article. 42 million flights and how many didn’t make it safely to it’s destination?

That said, as a private pilot and aircraft mechanic I love flying in the big birds but absolutely hate the airport terminal experience. The last time I flew I forgot to empty my pockets completely. I had a handkerchief in a pocket. The TSA agent treated me like crap because I didn’t empty my pockets completely and had to wand me down. REALLY!

In the past 10 years I have only flown on airlines twice, and if it weren’t for being treated like a “bad person “ on the ground, the flights themselves were no problem.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Even first class on a commercial flight is like taking the city bus, fully packed, around town, for 4 hours in the blazing sun. Add the extra engine noise. People bumping into you or laying on you. Waiting at the bus stop to board after being molested by a security guard. Dropped off at a bus stop 3 blocks from home and having to gather with other unfortunate passengers while they sort through piles of luggage, just to find yours.

Forget the small chance of death on a flight. It's the rest of the unpleasantries that make flying something I only do when absolutely required. I'd rather be beat with a willow switch.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    A few years back my wifes side of the family decided to fly to Florida to visit Disney.

I didn't have any desire to visit Disney, but most of the cost was covered and I'd be dragged along anyway.

The terminals and security were annoying as hell and slow.

Florida security thought my battery-less $50 laptop was a security risk and opened my luggage to leave me a note saying so.

I wanted to bring my daily carry, and was prepared to navigate all the TSA regulations & laws to bring it. However, family insisted on using Disneys luggage delivery service. I didn't think they'd like taking possession of a firearm temporarily, so i reluctantly left it at home.

I'd never been flying before, so despite the cramped seating and all the other associated unpleasantness, the flight there and back was what I was looking forward to and was by far the most enjoyable part of the trip for me.

I wish we had flown during daylight, but it was amazing to see whole cities lit up at night, passing by like far off scenery in a car window. Feeling the g forces during takeoff and the plane banking in the air was supremely neat too.

My face was plastered to the window with a sh*t-eating grin the whole ride there and back.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    As I said, this show only reinforces my decision. I made this decision long ago, based mainly on the decreased quality of the experience. Fat people oozing into my seating space, decreased leg room, rude people, smelly people, and then TSA nonsense.

The worst thing the airlines ever did was make air travel "affordable", so the people who should have stayed on Greyhound started infesting airplanes. Cost cutting led to poor maintenance standards, cramming more people into the plane, and lower quality pilots.
    Wow....I am a fat guy....aren't you special...

Don

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Even first class on a commercial flight is like taking the city bus, fully packed, around town, for 4 hours in the blazing sun. Add the extra engine noise. People bumping into you or laying on you. Waiting at the bus stop to board after being molested by a security guard. Dropped off at a bus stop 3 blocks from home and having to gather with other unfortunate passengers while they sort through piles of luggage, just to find yours.

Forget the small chance of death on a flight. It's the rest of the unpleasantries that make flying something I only do when absolutely required. I'd rather be beat with a willow switch.

lawd.gif

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A few years back my wifes side of the family decided to fly to Florida to visit Disney.

I didn't have any desire to visit Disney, but most of the cost was covered and I'd be dragged along anyway.

The terminals and security were annoying as hell and slow.

Florida security thought my battery-less $50 laptop was a security risk and opened my luggage to leave me a note saying so.

I wanted to bring my daily carry, and was prepared to navigate all the TSA regulations & laws to bring it. However, family insisted on using Disneys luggage delivery service. I didn't think they'd like taking possession of a firearm temporarily, so i reluctantly left it at home.

I'd never been flying before, so despite the cramped seating and all the other associated unpleasantness, the flight there and back was what I was looking forward to and was by far the most enjoyable part of the trip for me.

I wish we had flown during daylight, but it was amazing to see whole cities lit up at night, passing by like far off scenery in a car window. Feeling the g forces during takeoff and the plane banking in the air was supremely neat too.

My face was plastered to the window with a sh*t-eating grin the whole ride there and back.
    I flew to Australia back in 2000. My flight from LA to Sydney took off at night so I was out over the Pacific all night. It was mostly pitch black with occasional ship lights or a patch of luminescent plankton. Still very cool but that's a long flight! About 14 hours from LA to Sydney. Arrived in the morning local time and it was neat seeing the coast line on approach.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I flew to Australia back in 2000. My flight from LA to Sydney took off at night so I was out over the Pacific all night. It was mostly pitch black with occasional ship lights or a patch of luminescent plankton. Still very cool but that's a long flight! About 14 hours from LA to Sydney. Arrived in the morning local time and it was neat seeing the coast line on approach.
    Was there beer?

Beer-Chronicle-Houston-Craft-Beer-new-republic-brewing-dammit-jim-amber-can.jpg

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've never liked the experience of flying commercial, but I still think it's a safe way to travel, just unpleasant. With a pilots license and an instrument rating I flew myself many places in years past, but GA has gotten too expensive and now I don't cringe at seeing a white card in the mailbox anymore.
    I'm with you, when this whole Homeland security and COVID debacle came along I swore I'd never fly commercial again.
    So the only time I would fly is if I was the pilot and flew my own plane, and then even that got to be too much of a hassle at the airport and too expensive so I just got rid of it and I don't fly anymore at all.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    T
    No beer. But I did 3 double shots of espresso at the Indy airport Starbuck's and I think I frightened the girl that waited on me because the third one was on the house. :): I was wanting to stay awake as long as I could to time my waking up to the morning in Sydney to help with the jet lag.
    Thats a shame. Our flight from ORD to Seoul (17 hours) had free beer and multiple meals. Asiana airlines is or at least was top notch. We flew through the night so I never got to see the Korean Peninsula from the air

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    T

Thats a shame. Our flight from ORD to Seoul (17 hours) had free beer and multiple meals. Asiana airlines is or at least was top notch. We flew through the night so I never got to see the Korean Peninsula from the air
    I flew Qantas. They might have had drinks but I didn't ask for any. Another reason for drinking espresso was to avoid having to use the restroom on the plane. :): I don't remember if they had meals or not, but since it was night time, I wouldn't have eaten if they did.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I flew Qantas. They might have had drinks but I didn't ask for any. Another reason for drinking espresso was to avoid having to use the restroom on the plane. :): I don't remember if they had meals or not, but since it was night time, I wouldn't have eaten if they did.
    There were so many awesome choices. We left chi town at 11pm July 4th and flew through the night and into day2. The return flight was wild. Getting back to Chicago before we left Seoul same day.

Top Bottom