www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Some days you cant win for losing.

I was going to pressure wash the deck and house today. Just wasnt in the cards.

I have had carb issues with old gas gumming up the works, which of course leads to a new carb. So I figured I'd prevent that by draining the tank dry every year. So after sitting for several years, I got it out and topped it off. I bent down to put the wand hose on, and gas was POURING out of the carb from the top of it. I wondered if I maybe loosened the the bowl and drained it. Nope. Tight as can be. Must be an o ring or other seal that dried up and cracked/shrank.

So I ran inside, ordered a new carb and cut the grass instead. I guess I just have to buy a new carb every couple years no matter what since leaving gas in them screws them up, and draining them does as well. :dunno:

At least small engine carbs are cheap and easy to replace.

/rant

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    With shipping, my time, etc. its easier to just swap carbs. $20 for a new carb, $12 (plus my time to rebuild) for the kit. I can have the new carb on it in 10 mins.
    You guys don't have any mower shops or small engine shops?

Probably couple bucks, couple minutes to replace, probably have it back running same day.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Some days you cant win for losing.

I was going to pressure wash the deck and house today. Just wasnt in the cards.

I have had carb issues with old gas gumming up the works, which of course leads to a new carb. So I figured I'd prevent that by draining the tank dry every year. So after sitting for several years, I got it out and topped it off. I bent down to put the wand hose on, and gas was POURING out of the carb from the top of it. I wondered if I maybe loosened the the bowl and drained it. Nope. Tight as can be. Must be an o ring or other seal that dried up and cracked/shrank.

So I ran inside, ordered a new carb and cut the grass instead. I guess I just have to buy a new carb every couple years no matter what since leaving gas in them screws them up, and draining them does as well. :dunno:

At least small engine carbs are cheap and easy to replace.

/rant

I've been told to use only Ethanol-free gas in small engines, and I've had good luck with my portable generator by shutting off the gas valve and running it dry so you get most out of the carb as well. If you just drain the tank, there's still some in the carb. You probably know some of this already.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You guys don't have any mower shops or small engine shops?

Probably couple bucks, couple minutes to replace, probably have it back running same day.
    I do. Once again, easier for me just to swap. I guess if you enjoy tinkering with little parts covered in gasoline it would be fun.
    For me its worth it to just loosen 4 bolts and swap.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's like a law of the universe that small engines never work when you need them.
    And then halfway through cutting the grass the mower ran rough for about 5 seconds and almost died. I was like "YOU TOO!?!?!?" .
    But it roared back to life and was fine.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've been told to use only Ethanol-free gas in small engines, and I've had good luck with my portable generator by shutting off the gas valve and running it dry so you get most out of the carb as well. If you just drain the tank, there's still some in the carb. You probably know some of this already.

I drain the tank then run the thing till it dies of fuel starvation. Nearest ethanol free station is 30 minutes away and I hardly go that direction to make a side trip on the way.

Top Bottom