• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Those steel mill departments have been allowed to dwindle. They have been mismanaged and the word got out to the fire service community. Used to you could work there as a side gig if you were already working 24-48s or if you were new to the fire service you could go there and network to find a municipal job.

Because of the poor management its very short and very unsafe. The guys who were part time walked away seeing someone will get hurt and who they would blame it on. Old Bethlehem wants to go to 24hr shifts again but still doesn't have the staff to do so and the crews are young and inexperienced.

We had good people and cohesive crews but until some managers retire you won't see anyone of value there anytime soon.
    Yup. We had 1 firefighter show up one time.
    That can't be safe.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Second BP refinery in the Midwest in a month
    I wish an investigative journalist would dig into these and show whether this is indeed a thing or show historically that fires like these have been going on for decades.

But sadly they all appear to have an extremely short attention span and just cover each fire over and over like the previous ones never happened. (Other than "like the fire last week in..." thats it. Never "For the 5th time in as many months...")

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wish an investigative journalist would dig into these and show whether this is indeed a thing or show historically that fires like these have been going on for decades.

But sadly they all appear to have an extremely short attention span and just cover each fire over and over like the previous ones never happened. (Other than "like the fire last week in..." thats it. Never "For the 5th time in as many months...")
    i think part of it is that the manning levels are lower than ever before.
    If you run a place with 1,000 people, then reduce it to 250, a fire can develop and grow before someone notices. Where before, someone was right there, and could put it out in the incipient stage.

Top Bottom