• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I am in need of a good handgun safe. I have never looked into them before, so I'm not sure what the good ones are.
    I want to keep it hidden in the bedroom.

What do you all recommend?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I'm a big fan of the Fort Knox safes.

[h=1]Description[/h][h=3][/h]Strength and Reliability are two words that best describe this beautifully crafted Pistol Box. With a thick 10-gauge steel body and a 3/16" wrap-around door this safe is not only practically impossible to break open but it would be insanely difficult to even dent this thing. The heavy duty tamper-resistant hinge is placed under the door to protect it from attack, yet the gas strut makes it easy to lift the heavy door and have it hold itself open for easy access. It features the tried and true Simplex push-button mechanical lock which is fast and easy to use with the potential of 1,081 different combinations. The antique silver powder coat finish gives a durable yet beautiful look that creates a sense of strength and quality. The interior is lined with foam in the style of egg crate to help protect your valuables and guns from damage or scratches. Depending on the size of the gun you can easily fit one and potentially fit two. The pre-drilled holes in the bottom make it convenient to be bolted down to the floor, a drawer, or any other flat surface. These pistol boxes come with a manufacturer's lifetime warranty and surpass the California Department of Justice firearm safety device requirements proving its extreme quality. This Fort Knox Original Pistol Box is truly the best bang for your buck. This Fort Knox Original Handgun Safe will include a 13.5" Dean Safe Pistol Sock with every purchase.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Biometric don't work with bloody hands.

Or for me, ever. Fingertips are too messed up.

and I'm also a big fan of gunvault.

Optics planet usually has great prices on them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Biometric don't work with bloody hands.

Or for me, ever. Fingertips are too messed up.

and I'm also a big fan of gunvault.

Optics planet usually has great prices on them.

more or less this.

Would you you trust a smart gun to always work and work exactly when you need it? That's essentially what you are doing putting unreliable tech between you and your gun.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    more or less this.

Would you you trust a smart gun to always work and work exactly when you need it? That's essentially what you are doing putting unreliable tech between you and your gun.
    And that's how I feel about the gunvault that uses electronics for a quick access safe. That's why I went with Fort Knox, it's a mechanical lock. I do have a gunvault GV2000 and love it but I only use it for safely storing my other two pistols.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I trust the electronic locks and like them for their speed, but that is the limit of my tolerance. I agree that mechanical is a wee bit safer and less prone to failure, but not quite as fast.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have a Sentry Safe brand that works well for my needs. Its the electronic one with backup key entry. Not the more expensive one that includes biometrics.

| Sentry® Safe | QAP1E Digital Pistol Safe

sentrysafe-qap1e-quick-access-pistol-or-handgun-box-14.jpg

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I have a Sentry Safe brand that works well for my needs. Its the electronic one with backup key entry. Not the more expensive one that includes biometrics.

I just did a ton of research and looked for quite a while and I ended up with the same safe and I love it. I tried many other models in person, read reviews until I was tired of them lol and this safe was the winner to me. I sure wish they made a mid size 3-5 gun version too but not yet anyway. Regardless; it has been dead nuts reliable and it is totally silent in all aspects of operation, some brands beep for key presses which is strange for a quick access home safe.

Anyway, this is a good choice IMO.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I just did a ton of research and looked for quite a while and I ended up with the same safe and I love it. I tried many other models in person, read reviews until I was tired of them lol and this safe was the winner to me. I sure wish they made a mid size 3-5 gun version too but not yet anyway. Regardless; it has been dead nuts reliable and it is totally silent in all aspects of operation, some brands beep for key presses which is strange for a quick access home safe.

Anyway, this is a good choice IMO.
    Yeah I really like the one I have. I picked it up at my local Home Depot. They still stock them if I'm not mistaken.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington

Another +1 to this brand! I have the biometric one and I absolutely love it! Just be sure to open it on occasion with your code instead of your fingerprint so you remember in case your fingertip won't work! I keep 2 full size pistols in there and a few mags and I love how quickly it opens!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Careful! It looks like a lot of the safes commonly available in stores have flawed designs and are easily crackable within seconds:

Are most handgun safes garbage?

Fort Knox seems to be an exception, though.

I worried a bit when I saw my model was on the list. Then I saw what had to be done. no big deal for me. A: mine is designed to keep kids out, not persistent folks with a bent wire and too much time and youtube behind them, and B: mine is permanently mounted in such a way that attack through the side hole is not practical.

But my jaw hit the floor when I saw the tests where the toddler just picked one brand up, slammed it on the floor, and the door flew open due to the inertia of the solenoid traveler causing spontaneous release. :facepalm:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, I won't be getting one anytime soon then. The fort Liberty looks like it's the better one, but it's more than I can afford right now..

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I worried a bit when I saw my model was on the list. Then I saw what had to be done. no big deal for me. A: mine is designed to keep kids out, not persistent folks with a bent wire and too much time and youtube behind them, and B: mine is permanently mounted in such a way that attack through the side hole is not practical.

I agree with you -- you have to look at the overall picture. But did your safe come with warning about what it can and cannot do, how it should and should be installed? That'd make a difference for me.

It would suck if we spend endless hours debating firearm quality, but are completely negligent in demanding quality from gun safe manufacturers.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree with you -- you have to look at the overall picture. But did your safe come with warning about what it can and cannot do, how it should and should be installed? That'd make a difference for me.

It would suck if we spend endless hours debating firearm quality, but are completely negligent in demanding quality from gun safe manufacturers.

I agree. They need to be held to certain safety standards. The most outrageous ones are the safes that can be opened by slamming. Thats downright neglegent and ripe for a class action. The others with their "if you know this insider tip and take this thing apart you can force it open" dont feel that bad to me. If it were a true VAULT, like a liberty safe for instance, I would be upset. But its not. its 16ga steel designed to slow somebody down. A LOT.

In my case its the Gunvault. Those have a hole that *CAN* be punched out to mount a cable lock to it to prevent it from being run off with.

So *IF* you punched that hole, and your attacker also happens to have an appropriate length wire with a 90 degree bend and knows what they are doing, they can jimmy it. In my mind its not that much different than somebody that figures out the secret spot to drill on various safes/vaults. With the right tools and background info, you can get into a fireproof safe too if you know where to drill.

Top Bottom