• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I can't believe you guys are not talking about the rarest of all M16A1's!!!!

KFC.jpg

:laugh: Free with entree purchase

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    hydras

I wrote it wrong..lol.. I had meant I had seen a couple over the years, The one I seen at Lomonts shop was what I think was a original no reweld, but he had only one. I can remember seeing one other at the 1500 show many years ago. When I was going to Kent Lomonts shop in Poneto he had a stock of about a hundred or so miscellaneous class 3 transferables, this was shortly before he moved out west back in the good old days. That same day he had 2 chauchats for $450 each. that's how long ago it was..lol. After he moved he was producing the Iver Johnson AMAC .50 bolt rifle for a while, and he is still in business. Kent Lomont: Lomont Precision Bullets

And as far as the rebuilding a full auto reciever to semi specs, I would not try it in the least. MKS did just that with the M-14's and they had their stock confiscated for rebuilding mg's even though they had milled off the selector switch from the reciever. I believe that someone would get in trouble for trying to use a old demilled mg reciever to build a semi, no matter what the type. I could be wrong, and if I am, ok. I just would not do it because of the risk involved. And of course this is just my opinion, and it's worth about as much as the ink used to write it..lol..

I read in this thread that someone was selling a hydra for $14.5k, I would think that is one heck of a deal. I see many M16's around that price, and I would think the rare Hydra would be worth a lot more, but not many of us have the cash to put into something like that these days.
    Good thread.

Last edited:

Bob La Londe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    The man who setup the production line at Hydramatic Division GM was my father in law. Robert F Perry. I'm sorry that I don't have a lot more information to offer than will be in this first post. Sadly we didn't get along fantastically because he believed I wasn't good enough for his daughter. I think he was right of course. I scored when this one agreed to marry me. Anyway...

Yes I know its a 12 year old thread, but I joined specifically because of this thread, and I am replying to this thread to keep information together. I do not promise I have everything 100% correct. Its not my experience, and I can't ask Mr Perry for clarification. He passed away in the night while living with me and my wife several years ago.

I do not know that GM sold any of these guns into the civilian market. They were contracted by the military to make them and according to my father in law they had a better approval percentage than any other manufacturer at the time. He told about a procedure for sighting that was faster and more efficient than other methods because instead of moving the gun they just moved the target and adjust the sights.

There are some Hydramatic M16A1 presentation pieces in private hands that were given to important people on the team. I seem to recall Mr Perry said there were a dozen of these. Most were chrome plated with a name plaque affixed to the magazine well. The documentation says they are a single fire rifle manufactured as a single fire rifle. This means they should not be an NFA item. A few for very important people on the project where given chrome plated presentation pieces with gold plated plastic furniture.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The man who setup the production line at Hydramatic Division GM was my father in law. Robert F Perry. I'm sorry that I don't have a lot more information to offer than will be in this first post. Sadly we didn't get along fantastically because he believed I wasn't good enough for his daughter. I think he was right of course. I scored when this one agreed to marry me. Anyway...

Yes I know its a 12 year old thread, but I joined specifically because of this thread, and I am replying to this thread to keep information together. I do not promise I have everything 100% correct. Its not my experience, and I can't ask Mr Perry for clarification. He passed away in the night while living with me and my wife several years ago.

I do not know that GM sold any of these guns into the civilian market. They were contracted by the military to make them and according to my father in law they had a better approval percentage than any other manufacturer at the time. He told about a procedure for sighting that was faster and more efficient than other methods because instead of moving the gun they just moved the target and adjust the sights.

There are some Hydramatic M16A1 presentation pieces in private hands that were given to important people on the team. I seem to recall Mr Perry said there were a dozen of these. Most were chrome plated with a name plaque affixed to the magazine well. The documentation says they are a single fire rifle manufactured as a single fire rifle. This means they should not be an NFA item. A few for very important people on the project where given chrome plated presentation pieces with gold plated plastic furniture.

Mr Perry was presented two of them. One is chrome plated and one is the chrome and gold.
    Holy necropost and that is how you do a first post!! Bob please click the link below and introduce yourself. Welcome to INGO!

Top Bottom