HVAC question about heat pumps, how cold will they work without using the backup electric heater?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Would not recommend them for North of the Mid South. Once that emergency heat kicks on you are going to need the Emergency room for when you see the Bill. We have one and use it for AC only, for the most part it’s good at cooling but our home is well insulated so there is that.
    Carrier infinity/bryant evolution, greer... Mitsubishi mini split (heat pump) hold their own to a point (and up front price). But that is going to dc and staging.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Would not recommend them for North of the Mid South. Once that emergency heat kicks on you are going to need the Emergency room for when you see the Bill. We have one and use it for AC only, for the most part it’s good at cooling but our home is well insulated so there is that.
    This mirrors my opinion as well. I’ve had heat pumps in the last two houses I’ve owned and would be more than happy to never have another one.

Heat pumps are the electric vehicles of two decades ago. Full of promises but sitting about 1/4 tank when it comes time to deliver. On a good day, the “heat” they provide (w/o the backup system running) is anemic compared to wood/gas heat.

Are they more efficient than a full gas system? I’m sure they are but that only looks good on paper if you ignore their actual performance. I don’t want a Prius heating my home, I’ll take a diesel any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

How many billionaires do we figure heat their homes with heat pumps?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They don't know what they have. They just have someone call for them.
    True. Do you suppose those people, the ones held responsible for keeping the super-wealthy comfortable choose heat pumps as their first choice in the northern half of the country? I suspect not but maybe I'm wrong.

Ineffective heat pumps are for us commoners.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    My heat pump just went out AGAIN. The HVAC guy wants $2500 fur a new compressor (he put in a new compressor two years ago) or over $12,500 for a new unit. I’m thinking window AC units, and wood burning heater.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My heat pump just went out AGAIN. The HVAC guy wants $2500 fur a new compressor (he put in a new compressor two years ago) or over $12,500 for a new unit. I’m thinking window AC units, and wood burning heater.
    Im thinking a new HVAC guy if the :poop: he installs only lasts a few years.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I think it’s time for a new hvac guy. $12k is ridiculous. And $2500 for a compressor that’s 2 years old means there is another problem he is missing…..

You can message me what system you have and I can price you a replacement.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Ive always been confused as to why they always do electric backup and not nat gas or propane. When I looked into a heat pump many years ago ground source seemed to be a far better long term method compared to air, why is air source so much popular?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    This mirrors my opinion as well. I’ve had heat pumps in the last two houses I’ve owned and would be more than happy to never have another one.

Heat pumps are the electric vehicles of two decades ago. Full of promises but sitting about 1/4 tank when it comes time to deliver. On a good day, the “heat” they provide (w/o the backup system running) is anemic compared to wood/gas heat.

Are they more efficient than a full gas system? I’m sure they are but that only looks good on paper if you ignore their actual performance. I don’t want a Prius heating my home, I’ll take a diesel any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Exactly, we have a multi fuel stove that heats our home, it’s extremely efficient. It will burn corn, cherry pits, rye or wood pellets.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    True. Do you suppose those people, the ones held responsible for keeping the super-wealthy comfortable choose heat pumps as their first choice in the northern half of the country? I suspect not but maybe I'm wrong.

Ineffective heat pumps are for us commoners.
    I would argue yes.
    Heat pumps run more often which is more parts to break (fix) which is more money for the guy/company that put it in. Plus with all the rage some states are having about no new ng heat, its an easy seller.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    On a good day, the “heat” they provide (w/o the backup system running) is anemic compared to wood/gas heat.

This has always been a sticking point for people with heat pumps. 85-ish degree discharge air temp doesn’t “feel” warm to your 96 degree body but it is sufficient to keep the house comfortable.

If budget was no issue, I’d have a geothermal heat pump. So yes maybe. :dunno:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I don’t know, it seems that even though the heat pump is more efficient, it’s lower heat output makes the fan run for a much longer time negating that efficiency. And as mentioned up thread, the system is much more complex with many more parts that can fail. Reverse valves, thermal expansion valves, etc. etc..

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive always been confused as to why they always do electric backup and not nat gas or propane. When I looked into a heat pump many years ago ground source seemed to be a far better long term method compared to air, why is air source so much popular?
    Air source is more popular because you just have to place a box on a slab. No digging required.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would argue yes.
    Heat pumps run more often which is more parts to break (fix) which is more money for the guy/company that put it in. Plus with all the rage some states are having about no new ng heat, its an easy seller.
    Therein lies part of the rub. Having worked for someone of extraordinary wealth for five years I can promise you that anyone who wants to keep their job doesn't arrange to install something with more parts to break and sub par heating capabilities. They install what works best and is least likely to fail and heat pumps are neither.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Adding an electric heat section is cheap and easy. When you already have an air handler in place, electric heat is a mostly a box of resistive elements and an overtemp safety switch. It takes quite a bit more money to build another heat exchanger, another whole system of controls and safeties for a gas system, not to mention the additional EPA mandated combustion blowers and the stuff to hit efficiency requirements.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Electric backup is the standard go-to because the fan coil with resistance heat is half the price of a gas furnace, and also doesn’t require an additional fuel source be piped up. Lots of neighborhoods also are electric only, having no gas at all.

As for air source, it’s quite expensive to dig the well for a ground source heat pump. It is not recommended to use a drinking water well for the heat sink for a heat pump, or at least that was the case in the 90’s.

Top Bottom