• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Anyone that has been conviced of a felony has a P.O. Have your "friend" get a letter from there P.O. stating if they can shoot a bow/black powder (anything else is really out of the question). That way you are 100% sure if they can or can not hunt. There may even be a problem if they want to go with you "camping" as i understand a felon can not be around firearms.

THEIR

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    but I believe blackpowder is exempted from that definition.
    Just to clarify, it isn't "blackpowder" that makes this legal. As a matter of fact, black-powder can be, and often is used in modern firearms (firearms as defined by law). Rather, it is the type of "gun" that makes it a firearm or not. Muzzleloaders are not firearms per definition and therefore legal for some felons to possess.
    IANAL but this is my understanding. Please check carefully and independently to avoid more trouble.

A) Felons may hunt with a bow in Indiana but not with a crossbow.
    B) Felons may hunt with a muzzleloader in Indiana but not if it has interchangeable barrels or uses #209 primers because then it is a firearm. Example: Encore and Optima Elite.
    C) If a felon is on still probation the rules change substantially. Check with his PO.
    D) A felon may petition to have his firearm rights restored. A SVF conviction makes this unlikely.

Do you have any IC to back these claims up?

I'm specifically interested in the long-bow vs cross-bow thing and the #209 primer thing. AFAIK long-bow vs cross-bow does not change the fact that it is archery equipment and not a firearm. Likewise, ignition source on a muzzleloader does not make it a non-muzzleloader (or firearm). Just curious to see some codes contrary to my understanding of these thigns.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My question is: Do you REALLY want to associate with, let alone give a GUN to, someone who's stupid enough to commit a felony and get caught doing it???

I completely agree. I do a full and comprehensive background check on every new acquaintance that has the possibility of friend-material. Any that turn up with felonies get an immediate "Dear Felon" letter via Certified Mail. Those with misdemeanors may pass if they are just totally cool, or if they have totally cool guns and stuff (which, I guess, are both the same).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My question is: Do you REALLY want to associate with, let alone give a GUN to, someone who's stupid enough to commit a felony and get caught doing it???

To err is human, to forgive, divine.

People make mistakes. Some people never straighten out. Some people do.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep in mind that even some ML rifles ARE considered firearms. "In-Line" ML rifles will be a no-go, even if, in general, ML rifles are kosher.

There may also be a sticky wicket with crossbows - especially the crossbow upper on an AR lower. The lower would be the disqualifier there.

Something else to look into: I presume if the guy isn't a SVF, then possession and use of a hunting/skinning knife would also be legal - but that's just another potential sticky wicket.

-J-

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Just to clarify, it isn't "blackpowder" that makes this legal. As a matter of fact, black-powder can be, and often is used in modern firearms (firearms as defined by law). Rather, it is the type of "gun" that makes it a firearm or not. Muzzleloaders are not firearms per definition and therefore legal for some felons to possess.

Do you have any IC to back these claims up?

I'm specifically interested in the long-bow vs cross-bow thing and the #209 primer thing. AFAIK long-bow vs cross-bow does not change the fact that it is archery equipment and not a firearm. Likewise, ignition source on a muzzleloader does not make it a non-muzzleloader (or firearm). Just curious to see some codes contrary to my understanding of these thigns.

I have looked for good quotable sources and the more I look the more confused I become. I keep finding conflicting information. I hope NSA isn't monitoring my search history because I probably look like a felon myself after all this searching. :)

I know possession of a firearm by an SVF is prohibited. Each state seems to define firearms and "primitive weapon" differently. The Indiana Code seems pretty broad in it's definition of "firearm".

IC 35-47-1-5 "Firearm"
    Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel; a projectile by means of an explosion.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.3-2008, SEC.254.

I found references for the other comments in my first post but I am beginning to question them because I can't find something authoritative enough to really trust as applying in Indiana.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    That's a little cold and rigid. Plenty of people make one mistake when they are young and pay for it the rest of their lives. Others continually make mistakes and just get lucky.

Top Bottom