• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Sunday morning had one hover at the window where we had the feeder last year, just looked in the window at us & flew off. Cleaned up the feeder & put it out, he showed up later that day to feed.

Ants, I use vaseline on the shepards hooks (double duty to make squirrel watching comical as well). We have some suction cups that hook directly to the glass, don't have much of an issue with ants with the elevated picture window.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I put jelly out for the orioles today and made a batch of hummingbird food to put out tomorrow. We'll see who is around very soon!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have 4 half oranges and a couple of cups of grape jelly out. 1 humming bird feeder.

I just made a wood pecker log out of a hickory log with 1" holes 2" deep filled with Chunky peanut butter with some bacon fat, oats, cornmeal and shelled sunflower seeds mixed in.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Just got home and put things down, changed to comfy clothes, popped open a Rubaeus raspberry ale and grabbed a bag of open chips.
    Out to the front porch where the feeder is and settle in for some R&R and INGO check. Boom. First female hummer I've seen shows up and she is curious about who this clown is on her porch. She does the usual zoom, stop, zoom stop, zoom stop, probing for danger (or looking at the red liquid in my frosty.
    Next thing you know (and she hasn't fed yet) a male comes zooming in. Not to knock her out of the way like the summer fights with any gender. The male starts making U shaped zooming passes by her, chittering just when he passes her in either direction. For you airplane guys/gals think full rudder stall turns at each end of the arc. Probably about a 20 foot U with a total dive of 10 feet. He kept it up for about 20 passes, flew off together and then she came back a minute or two later to happily feed.
    Anyway, I am guessing amorous intentions and I am so lucky to see the spectacle/show.
    WOO-HOO!!
    Had to share!

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Saw one at our feeder yesterday. There were two fighting over it a couple hours earlier today. Wife says additional feeder will be going out tomorrow. Guess I better head to Sams for the jumbo bag of sugar... lol

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    One came by yesterday morning while I was at the sink in the kitchen looking out at the feeder. He buzzed it and took off without landing. The feeder has been out since Friday.

Top Bottom