• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Haven't seen any at my feeder yet. I'm afraid of the cold snap coming this week.
    Exactly, I can't imagine any hummingbird surviving our forecast lows for this week. As far as that's concerned, been waiting for a new glass feeder to arrive and am now kinda glad it hasn't as of yet over concerns of it freezing.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Exactly, I can't imagine any hummingbird surviving our forecast lows for this week. As far as that's concerned, been waiting for a new glass feeder to arrive and am now kinda glad it hasn't as of yet over concerns of it freezing.
    I will bring the feeders in tonight and tomorrow night. We had a cold snap last year around the beginning of May, and they were stiltat the feeders during the day

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    My wife got the hummingbird feeder out today, she`s cleaning it up and will likely make feed tomorrow after morning service. We really enjoy those beautiful critters.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Do any of you get ants raiding your feeders? If so, how do you deal with them?
    I spray bug killer on pretty much every surface leading to and the actual hanger before hanging. I use home defense. Do not spray the surfaces while the feeders are hanging. Sometimes I wrap duct tape backwards on the hangers to. Works for a while but it is a continuous battle. A old friend of mine made me some water cups to hang between the hanger and feeder using empty yogurt cups and two eye bolts with a coupling nut and washers with rubber washers in between. Works good also.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Do any of you get ants raiding your feeders? If so, how do you deal with them?
    Yes I do. One of my feeders has a built in ant moat that works if you keep water in it. They also have add on moats you can buy.

An old timer recently told me to hang it with fishing line and the ants won't like to crawl down it. Haven't tried that yet.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    For me bug spray lasts about 4 days or until it rains. I never see what they do with the vasoline but there is a path cut through it in a couple of days.

Top Bottom