• Status
    Not open for further replies.

M13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2022
    Clark County
    New to the state. My state of birth is Virginia ( till 14 ) and subsequent residency: NC (32 years); Hawaii (2 years); Florida (7 years); Kentucky (<1 year) and soon to be Indiana. We just bought a house in Clark County after moving to Louisville for my better half's job. (She's a college administrator and I'm a glorified pool boy) So, we go where she gets a good job. I'm looking forward to getting a handle on Indiana gun laws. I've been licensed for concealed carry in NC, (we won't even talk about Hawaii), FL, and currently KY. I realize KY and IN are 'constitutional carry' states but I still have family in VA and travel there so keeping a CC license for reciprocal reasons is important. My most current situation is the land we bought is zoned 'AG' and is legal (zoning wise) to have a private gun range. It's almost 5 acres and has some vertical relief of 20' or so. I can easily shoot into a hill. I intend on setting up at least a 25yd range and will be consulting with local P&D departments for permitting, etc. I will also reach out to adjacent land owners to notify them of my intent and will stay on the legal side of everything. Moving forward, any advice on setting up a legal private gun range will be appreciated. I'll say right off that I think I'm a 'moderate' gun owner. I believe in the right to own firearms for self protection from all threats 'both foreign and domestic'. But, I'll also say that the current political climate makes some 2A people seem as rabidly insane as the anti 2A people. I realize that's a byproduct of a 2 party system...and sorta think that system is systemically destroying the republic. I think open carry is fine if you're on your own property or in a truly urban part of the country. Otherwise, why would you want to let a potential threat know what you got for them if they cross that line? Cheers.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    New to the state. My state of birth is Virginia ( till 14 ) and subsequent residency: NC (32 years); Hawaii (2 years); Florida (7 years); Kentucky (<1 year) and soon to be Indiana. We just bought a house in Clark County after moving to Louisville for my better half's job. (She's a college administrator and I'm a glorified pool boy) So, we go where she gets a good job. I'm looking forward to getting a handle on Indiana gun laws. I've been licensed for concealed carry in NC, (we won't even talk about Hawaii), FL, and currently KY. I realize KY and IN are 'constitutional carry' states but I still have family in VA and travel there so keeping a CC license for reciprocal reasons is important. My most current situation is the land we bought is zoned 'AG' and is legal (zoning wise) to have a private gun range. It's almost 5 acres and has some vertical relief of 20' or so. I can easily shoot into a hill. I intend on setting up at least a 25yd range and will be consulting with local P&D departments for permitting, etc. I will also reach out to adjacent land owners to notify them of my intent and will stay on the legal side of everything. Moving forward, any advice on setting up a legal private gun range will be appreciated. I'll say right off that I think I'm a 'moderate' gun owner. I believe in the right to own firearms for self protection from all threats 'both foreign and domestic'. But, I'll also say that the current political climate makes some 2A people seem as rabidly insane as the anti 2A people. I realize that's a byproduct of a 2 party system...and sorta think that system is systemically destroying the republic. I think open carry is fine if you're on your own property or in a truly urban part of the country. Otherwise, why would you want to let a potential threat know what you got for them if they cross that line? Cheers.
    Welcome to the Great State of Indiana and INGO. I'm sure there is a reason you went with M13 as a username, but "Glorified Pool Boy" would've been an awesome choice.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Welcome to the Great State of Indiana and INGO. I'm sure there is a reason you went with M13 as a username, but "Glorified Pool Boy" would've been an awesome choice.
    We can change that.........

Welcome from the other end of the state, or as the owner of a gun shop in Clarksville calls it, Canada!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    First post, and he mentions open carry. I have a feeling there may be some interesting conversations ahead.

Welcome to INGO! Word of advice... make sure you have thick skin, and don't take things too seriously. People around here have some strong opinions and are passionate about freedom. Yes, we are an online community, but most of us know each other in real life as well, which makes us a close knit family. Keep an open mind to others opinions, and yours may change along the way. There are many here who have more experience than you can imagine. Most of all, feel free to join the conversations and share your knowledge as well. It makes us all better. Just watch out for the rabidly insane 2A guys. :laugh:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to very possibly the most firearm friendly state in the union. About the only no-goes are things unconstitutionally banned by the feds. We have constitutional carry allowing the carrying of a firearm without a license or permission to exercise your second amendment right. Indiana does offer a lifetime "license to carry handgun" for those who need to cross state lines.

As Hoosierdood stated, sometimes a thick skin is needed. Not only for new people but even for original members like myself. It does get deep sometimes, but usually this is a great place to discuss just about anything.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Hi, welcome, and looking forward to talking you out of your moderation. Also, learning you about the purple and where it applies. (sarcasm)
    1st step; trying to convince you that "permits; we don't need no stinkin' permits!" or that if it ends up that you do you'll share here the process for it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom