• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Everything I have bought from INGO, besides a bike, as been in a public parking lot. Lowes is my preference.

No disrespect to law enforcement but, I would not feel comfortable conducting a firearm transaction at a police station. Too big of a chance of spooking a rookie or getting interference from a hardball that will demand receipts and "permits" for a Mosin 91/30.

Our local police station closes at 5pm on weekdays, so it's really of little use.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I used to frequent an online forum website for players of Fender Stratocaster guitars. They have a forum there entitled the "Pickup Forum" as in the magnetic components that convert steel guitar-string resonance into electrified sound.

My first (and only) post in that forum was,
    "So where are the chicks?"

They freaked out. Banned me forever. :D
    Most musicians are "too woke" to have a sense of humor.

Strat players are famously humorless.

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Lots of good advice here on WHERE to make a sales transaction, but my question is on the best way of advertising a firearm for sale.

I'm a long time "lurker" on the forum - usually I just read it all and not post. I therefore don't have 50 posts, so I can't list here. Anyone got any suggestions? In the "old days" a classified ad in the newspaper would work. Not anymore.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Lots of good advice here on WHERE to make a sales transaction, but my question is on the best way of advertising a firearm for sale.

I'm a long time "lurker" on the forum - usually I just read it all and not post. I therefore don't have 50 posts, so I can't list here. Anyone got any suggestions? In the "old days" a classified ad in the newspaper would work. Not anymore.
    Become a site supporter for $20. Then ya can try and buy, sell, trade all you want

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Become a site supporter for $20. Then ya can try and buy, sell, trade all you want

Thanks! I didn't realize that. Will do!

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I know this dates back to 2018, but I doubt Sean has changed his ways.

At Atkinson Firearms, we strive to give back to our customers as much as possible and one way is giving you a safe place to conduct your private firearm sale. If you are selling your firearm via some online brokerage you can use our parking lot (Under camera's) or you can come in and use our table (located in front of store) to conduct a safe sale of your firearm. Yes, we get the question "why would you offer this service - your losing a sale" and our reply here at Atkinson Firearms is having a safe place to conduct business just makes sense.
    Atkinson Firearms is a firefighter owned and operated business!
    I tried doing a deal in the parking lot of a gun shop and was told by an employee it was illegal to do the sale on the property of the gun shop. All gun sales on the stores properties must go through the store and background check was what I was told. Not sure it true or not. Kind of makes sense I guess.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Strat players are famously humorless.
    There are some good guys on that Strat board, but also some real jerks. Guitar snobs with ZERO sense of humor. All about impressing one another, and death to any noob who dares express a non-conforming opinion.

Izdat a Precision bass or a Jazz bass in your avatar pic? Or a clone of one or the other? I got in trouble with the Strat Mafia for building a solid clone by modifying THIS (in white). A few 'Chinese surprises' cost me a LOT of work, but now it's as good as a comparable real-deal Fender...for about 25% of the cost.

I take a similar approach to firearms ownership. :D

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I tried doing a deal in the parking lot of a gun shop and was told by an employee it was illegal to do the sale on the property of the gun shop. All gun sales on the stores properties must go through the store and background check was what I was told. Not sure it true or not. Kind of makes sense I guess.
    Yeah, I expect these businesses are "under the gun" with regard to their insurance, gov't scrutiny, etc. Plus, they might feel that a private seller in the parking lot is taking business from them. Frankly, I doubt they're losing business because most buyers who are savvy enough to root out the right used gun at a good price are not much interested in paying retail.

Last edited:

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    Definitely don't meet at your home... Meet in a place in public with plenty of cameras. I often go to gun shops to do my sales / trades. Some police stations allow exchanges there for safety purposes.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    For non-gun stuff, I've met at my house (if selling) or seller's house (if buying). Anything else isn't worth the trouble for inexpensive items. I had one person who wanted to meet in a public place for a <$10 sale; I declined.

For gun-stuff, I've met in a police station parking lot and major retailers parking lots, as requested by the seller. I really would be ok doing it at my home (while armed of course), but I've always been the buyer. Don't really have any plans to sell gun stuff. :)

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    For non-gun stuff, I've met at my house (if selling) or seller's house (if buying). Anything else isn't worth the trouble for inexpensive items. I had one person who wanted to meet in a public place for a <$10 sale; I declined.
    I used Craig's List to sell off a TON of stuff (tools, etc) prior to moving to Indiana. Every sale took place in my garage and I had zero problems. In fact, I met some great people in the process.
    For gun-stuff, I've met in a police station parking lot and major retailers parking lots, as requested by the seller. [...] I've always been the buyer. Don't really have any plans to sell gun stuff. :)
    Ditto, but I'm seldom buyer or seller. I buy things I intend to keep and use forever. Sometimes my plans or perceptions change (after a decade or so, ha) and I "release" something back into the Universe. :D

I don't understand continually buying and selling things that really matter, and really work.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Ive done one in a diner before for a red dot. Never thought much of it. Other than that always have a friend with me, and meet at gas station/walmart/big box store. Friend usually just chats with them while I count the money and buyer inspects the item.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Ive done one in a diner before for a red dot. Never thought much of it. Other than that always have a friend with me, and meet at gas station/walmart/big box store. Friend usually just chats with them while I count the money and buyer inspects the item.
    DolomiteDave! Does that refer to the mineral, or the following?

"Hey there mountains,
    Whatchu gonna do?
    We gonna part mister Dolomite
    An' lecho bad ass through."

Either way, thanks for the suggestion. :D I don't have a wingman, so I'll have to count the bills AND make with the chit-chat.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    DolomiteDave! Does that refer to the mineral, or the following?

"Hey there mountains,
    Whatchu gonna do?
    We gonna part mister Dolomite
    An' lecho bad ass through."

Either way, thanks for the suggestion. :D I don't have a wingman, so I'll have to count the bills AND make with the chit-chat.
    Refers to the Dolomites mountain range. Long family history tracing back there including several mountain climbers. Some routes are still named after us.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Refers to the Dolomites mountain range. Long family history tracing back there including several mountain climbers. Some routes are still named after us.
    I see. Your version is a lot more reputable than the reference I made. :D You must be proud that your family is known for adventurous mountain climbing. :yesway:

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    I see. Your version is a lot more reputable than the reference I made. :D You must be proud that your family is known for adventurous mountain climbing. :yesway:
    Would be a lot more proud if I wasn't so scared of heights lol and actually did some climbing myself. I usually stick to trails that don't require ropes.

Top Bottom