• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm looking to sell a few things locally.

If I were selling off tools or car parts I'd just have buyers meet me in my garage, at my house. But guns being guns, I'm not comfortable having strangers know where I live. 'Feels like an opportunity to case the joint. I don't live in an upscale area, so the potential for problems is real (and it's real in upscale neighborhoods, too).

Do you guys have buyers meet you at your home? Or do you meet them someplace else? I've heard of private sales taking place in the parking lot of local police departments. Not sure what my local PD would think of that... Another option is an outdoor / sporting goods retailer. Their parking lot is usually pretty empty. What do you think of that option?

ANY advice is appreciated.
    The only time I have sold from my house was when I sold my sail boat last year.

I always opt for a police station or a parking lot away from home.

Why would your local PD be upset about you conducting business in their lot? Just do it out of the way but definitely in front of a camera.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    My last transaction was in a bagel store parking lot but with a gellow INGOer who although I never previously met had a good feel for from online interactions. Have done business in the police dept parking lot as well (they have parking spaces marked tha5 are covered by cameras for this purpose). Also, several local gun stores offer face to face transfers and will do a 4473 for a reasonable fee ($25). This is a good option if you are not comfortable doing a deal on your own.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Not a fan of truck stops / gas stations. Never really know how popular the local stop-n-rob might be...

I haven't seen it mentioned up-thread, but I had a good experience at Bob Evans.
    No one's going to look at you funny and you might find support should things go sideways. If the other party won't meet there, you probably don't want to do that business. If it goes well you might end up breaking bread together.

Nothing says "good deal" like cackleberries, pig meat and flapjacks. Well, maybe a thick juicy cheeseburger - but they've got those too!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Same as most. For people that I know nothing about, public parking lots during daylight. The wife used to have a .38 and ride shotgun. There are some people here on the INGO that I would feel safe having them come to my house. I have been in a few of their houses, places of work, so they must have felt comfortable with me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Same as most. For people that I know nothing about, public parking lots during daylight. The wife used to have a .38 and ride shotgun. There are some people here on the INGO that I would feel safe having them come to my house. I have been in a few of their houses, places of work, so they must have felt comfortable with me.
    Yep. INGO is awesome. Why many prefer selling to folks here.
    Heck, I have more than once cross shipped a small accessory to somebody here thats a veteran INGOer because I know from our interactions that they are good for it. "I'm shipping today. Go ahead and send your payment to this address. Thanks for your business, I hope you enjoy it." So far nobody has burned me.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Everything I have bought from INGO, besides a bike, as been in a public parking lot. Lowes is my preference.

No disrespect to law enforcement but, I would not feel comfortable conducting a firearm transaction at a police station. Too big of a chance of spooking a rookie or getting interference from a hardball that will demand receipts and "permits" for a Mosin 91/30.

Last edited:

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Not adding anything new, just adding to reassure. Any public place that is well lit if at night. Knowing cameras are actively recording is always good. Local PD is fine too, just be mindful like the above comment mentions. Also, conceal carry :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not a fan of truck stops / gas stations. Never really know how popular the local stop-n-rob might be...

I haven't seen it mentioned up-thread, but I had a good experience at Bob Evans.
    No one's going to look at you funny and you might find support should things go sideways. If the other party won't meet there, you probably don't want to do that business. If it goes well you might end up breaking bread together.

Nothing says "good deal" like cackleberries, pig meat and flapjacks. Well, maybe a thick juicy cheeseburger - but they've got those too!
    I did a sale at at Bob Evans once. It was a long time ago and I can't remember if we had breakfast or not. I am not sure what it was I even sold the guy; a 20 gauge O/U maybe? Was it you?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yep. INGO is awesome. Why many prefer selling to folks here.
    Heck, I have more than once cross shipped a small accessory to somebody here thats a veteran INGOer because I know from our interactions that they are good for it. "I'm shipping today. Go ahead and send your payment to this address. Thanks for your business, I hope you enjoy it." So far nobody has burned me.
    Well, now that I met you, you are NEVER coming to my house! :):

Just kidding. Even before I met you in person, I knew you were good to go. I'd meet you at my house for a transaction. Probably even offer you a cup of coffee or a beer depending on time of day.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I usually try to do my transactions in the parking lot of a larger retailer that sells firearms (and hasn't been a victim of a nationally covered mass shooting), so people are less likely to blink an eye. Think something like Rural King, Academy Sports, etc.

That being said, I've also done deals at Dollar General, gas stations, church parking lots, etc. I had one guy INSIST that I had to come to his house to buy a gun I really wanted. I politely declined.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm looking to sell a few things locally.

If I were selling off tools or car parts I'd just have buyers meet me in my garage, at my house. But guns being guns, I'm not comfortable having strangers know where I live. 'Feels like an opportunity to case the joint. I don't live in an upscale area, so the potential for problems is real (and it's real in upscale neighborhoods, too).

Do you guys have buyers meet you at your home? Or do you meet them someplace else? I've heard of private sales taking place in the parking lot of local police departments. Not sure what my local PD would think of that... Another option is an outdoor / sporting goods retailer. Their parking lot is usually pretty empty. What do you think of that option?

ANY advice is appreciated.
    If it's an INGO member, I've probably looked up their history to get a feel for who I'm dealing with -I'd expect them to do the same about me. I usually try to meet 1/2 way to be fair. I'll pick a public place with traffic during the day. I did do one sale in South Bend at the Police Department for a sale done outside INGO.

If they don't want to meet in a public non-sketchy place the sale isn't worth it to me. I always assume on a sale everyone's carrying. Good luck and stay safe.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I did a sale at at Bob Evans once. It was a long time ago and I can't remember if we had breakfast or not. I am not sure what it was I even sold the guy; a 20 gauge O/U maybe? Was it you?
    Not it!

But really, you can usually tell well beforehand how it's going to go. If there's any question, there is no question.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Just did last weekend with a fantastic member here, Fishers PD says in the Municipal lot across the street from the PD is cool and on camera.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I avoid Walmart parking lots if at all possible. I use google maps and get a good feel for the place. Burger Kings are uaually not crowded. My car can have cameras running. If it feels sketchy, I politely decline to meet. Seriously, use the maps for recon.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I've done deals in bank parking lots, golf courses and big box stores. The only issue I've ever had was people not showing up and that is why I limit my drive time to one hour.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Mrs. hooky likes to freak out her girlfriends back home in California by recounting the time she "did a gun deal" in the Target parking lot with me. LOL

Bought a savage from @cswan and Target was the most convenient place. Crowded, but I still don't think anyone batted an eye at us as I pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel in that parking lot.

Top Bottom