• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I'm looking to sell a few things locally.

If I were selling off tools or car parts I'd just have buyers meet me in my garage, at my house. But guns being guns, I'm not comfortable having strangers know where I live. 'Feels like an opportunity to case the joint. I don't live in an upscale area, so the potential for problems is real (and it's real in upscale neighborhoods, too).

Do you guys have buyers meet you at your home? Or do you meet them someplace else? I've heard of private sales taking place in the parking lot of local police departments. Not sure what my local PD would think of that... Another option is an outdoor / sporting goods retailer. Their parking lot is usually pretty empty. What do you think of that option?

ANY advice is appreciated.

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    I usually meet in local retail lots for convenience. I’d have no problem meeting at the local PD either. The PD here in the past has encouraged people to meet there for online local sales. I don’t see why they would care what the item was as long as nothing nefarious is happening.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Call your local PD and get their input on using their parking lot, if that's considered a safe place for you. Any active place should be fine, and places like WalMart have cameras.
    Be sure to take someone along that carries, just in case. If something doesn't feel right, drive away.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Like others stated. Meet in a good area during the day. I've done transactions at Auto Zone, grocery stores, and other retail stores.
    Some local PDs have places designated for transactions as well.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Heck no don't bring them to your house. Not even from an INGO member, unless you know the guy.
    Go to a local grocery store or Walmart that's busy enough where you won't stand out being the only cars there. I also agree, you should at minimum be packing. Not a bad idea to bring a friend along. Before you give out any personal details, get a feel for the person. If they respond to messages in a non-creepy way. I've never had an issue buying or selling on this website FYI, but I always make sure the person isn't looking to rob me.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I know this dates back to 2018, but I doubt Sean has changed his ways.

At Atkinson Firearms, we strive to give back to our customers as much as possible and one way is giving you a safe place to conduct your private firearm sale. If you are selling your firearm via some online brokerage you can use our parking lot (Under camera's) or you can come in and use our table (located in front of store) to conduct a safe sale of your firearm. Yes, we get the question "why would you offer this service - your losing a sale" and our reply here at Atkinson Firearms is having a safe place to conduct business just makes sense.
    Atkinson Firearms is a firefighter owned and operated business!

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Yeah I would NEVER consider inviting a stranger to my house, especially a stranger who now knows I own at least one gun. As others have said, somewhere outside that is big, public, and well-lit, hopefully with parking lot security cameras. Gun stores and Menards are the two places I meet at most.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I usually meet in the parking lot of some retailer, or I've also met at gas stations. Anywhere, in the daylight, in public, preferably someplace that is likely to have security cameras really. As long as it's not in a sketchy area you should be okay.
    ^^^This^^^ plus...

I also make sure I arrive ten minutes early and park where I can see what is going on in the retailer's parking lot. Usually choose a space where not too many other people are parked. Often towards the edge of the lot so no one is behind me so I only have to keep track of a 180 degree view.

I also like a little bit of back and forth email communication to get a feel for the person too.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I'm looking to sell a few things locally.

If I were selling off tools or car parts I'd just have buyers meet me in my garage, at my house. But guns being guns, I'm not comfortable having strangers know where I live. 'Feels like an opportunity to case the joint. I don't live in an upscale area, so the potential for problems is real (and it's real in upscale neighborhoods, too).

Do you guys have buyers meet you at your home? Or do you meet them someplace else? I've heard of private sales taking place in the parking lot of local police departments. Not sure what my local PD would think of that... Another option is an outdoor / sporting goods retailer. Their parking lot is usually pretty empty. What do you think of that option?

Most recently I've had buyers meet at my lawyer's office and let them handle the sale.
    In the past I have had buyers meet at my home. I've had a neighbor (armed) come over to oversee the exchange outdoors on the deck. That being said, I have redundant camera systems outside and inside my home, door/window sensors and motion sensors. The systems are monitored off site 24/7. Nonetheless it still has every potential to go South at any moment. Good to err on the side of caution, so any future deals will be done through my lawyer.

Rich AR15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I've met at a local gas station and definitely in daylight hours. As mentioned it would be nice to have a backup partner to accompany you during the sale.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Call your local PD and get their input on using their parking lot, if that's considered a safe place for you. Any active place should be fine, and places like WalMart have cameras.
    Be sure to take someone along that carries, just in case. If something doesn't feel right, drive away.
    And if you do so, let the other person know upfront who is coming. Nothing makes a persons's hair stand on end like when you think you're meeting an individual and a carload of dudes shows up. "Hey just so you know, I'm going to ___________ afterward with my buddy, so he'll be tagging along. " (even if there are no such plans) A spouse is no big deal, but still probably worth mentioning.

As stated above, if I'm supposed to meet 1 guy and I get there and its a bunch of dudes, I may not stick around.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know this dates back to 2018, but I doubt Sean has changed his ways.

At Atkinson Firearms, we strive to give back to our customers as much as possible and one way is giving you a safe place to conduct your private firearm sale. If you are selling your firearm via some online brokerage you can use our parking lot (Under camera's) or you can come in and use our table (located in front of store) to conduct a safe sale of your firearm. Yes, we get the question "why would you offer this service - your losing a sale" and our reply here at Atkinson Firearms is having a safe place to conduct business just makes sense.
    Atkinson Firearms is a firefighter owned and operated business!
    Not all gun stores allow this. I was swapping boxes of ammo with a member here and we met in the parking lot of Bradis. One of their guys was coming back and saw the transaction and came over and asked what we were doing. He was cool with ammo, but mentioned they dont want gun transactions in their lot. They didnt want it to look like the 2nd half of a straw purchase to someone driving by.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    ... Another option is an outdoor / sporting goods retailer. Their parking lot is usually pretty empty. What do you think of that option?

I wouldn't meet in a "pretty empty" parking lot. Might draw attention. Go somewhere that's kinda busy. Most people are in a hurry and likely won't notice you.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Alexandria PD or Eagles parking lot is what everyone here uses. Plenty of video cameras at each. Our PD has no problem with sales transactions in the parking lot.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I don't like anyone coming to my house even if what I'm selling is tools or other non-firearm related items. I try to see if family or someone that knows me already wants whatever it is first if it's something large that can't be easily moved. With firearms or smaller things, I meet at a public place and do the transaction there. Never had an issue with doing it that way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom