• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, technically the 'jewelers' rough is red. But yes, there are different colors for different grits. A green specifically for stainless steel, as well as the black / grey / white you mentioned, a brown, a blue, maybe even some others.

Of course, it also depends on how high of a shine the OP prefers. JMO, probably start off with the green to get rid of minor scratches, etc., then move to something like red if a high polish is preferred. I prefer to remove scratches, etc. but leave something of a smooth, matte finish rather an a mirror finish. But that's my 'thing'.

I like the bars because they're easy to manipulate with handguns, which tend to have have lots of 'nooks & crannies'. While polishing the larger areas, the bar can be worked into a 'pencil point' to use in those tight spots. They're also less messy than polishing creams and compounds, IMO. And as noted, they're specifically made for fine metals (but there are bars for plastics). AND, they're pretty cheap, with a 4 oz. bar costing in the neighborhood of $2 (depending on where it's purchased, of course)

This sounds like exactly what I need. Could you share any info about where you source the rouge sticks. Wondering if its locally sourced or online etc. Just want to narrow down the search. Here in Columbus we don't have much of a history of machining or production by industry and we lack a lot of options for useful materials.Thx

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Drall already mentioned it, but it bears repeating that, pleasing to the eye as a properly executed high polish stainless finish may be, it will make the tiniest of dings obvious.
    Also, it makes glare a bit of a problem in bright light, and grasping the slide, even where the serrations are, will be just a bit tougher.
    Unless you intend to treat your 1911 with actual kid gloves on and shoot only at the range, then carefully clean, then gently place it back in your safe, you'll eventually start seeing every bump and tap you ever unintentionally give it.
    It's just inevitable.
    Just MNSHO.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    A can for mothers mag and aluminum polish, a package of cotten rags, and a free afternoon.

Polish with steady pressure in small circles until the rag turns black, move to a clean section of rag and continue.
    I did a model 66 this way and it turned out very nicely.

God bless
    -Shred
    If I do this to polish out idiot scratches around the slide release lever on a 1911, will I have to polish the whole frame or can I just do that small area.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    A can for mothers mag and aluminum polish, a package of cotten rags, and a free afternoon.

Polish with steady pressure in small circles until the rag turns black, move to a clean section of rag and continue.
    I did a model 66 this way and it turned out very nicely.

God bless
    -Shred
    I have also used mother's and a couple old tee shirts. After about 3 hours it was as shiny as I wanted. Not mirror bright but very shiny

Top Bottom