• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I've got a 1911 in SS that I wouldn't mind polishing. What is the best way to do this? I've never really done anything like this, so I want to make sure I don't mess it up.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    A can for mothers mag and aluminum polish, a package of cotten rags, and a free afternoon.

Polish with steady pressure in small circles until the rag turns black, move to a clean section of rag and continue.
    I did a model 66 this way and it turned out very nicely.

God bless
    -Shred

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    A can for mothers mag and aluminum polish, a package of cotten rags, and a free afternoon.

Polish with steady pressure in small circles until the rag turns black, move to a clean section of rag and continue.

God bless
    -Shred

Can minor scratches be removed this way?

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    You can actually polish round surfaces on a wheel just like you do a regular steel gun before bluing. Doing that today myself as a matter of fact. You may not wanna try this, however, until you have practiced on a scrap piece of steel as polishing on a wheel is a task that is unlike any other.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can actually polish round surfaces on a wheel just like you do a regular steel gun before bluing. Doing that today myself as a matter of fact. You may not wanna try this, however, until you have practiced on a scrap piece of steel as polishing on a wheel is a task that is unlike any other.

THIS!

I put a nice shine on an otherwise not so noteworthy chamber of my Kimber. Its not perfect, but still better than what used to look like cast pot metal. I dont think I'd use my wheel on any other parts but the small exposed area of the chamber was perfect.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

God bless
    -Shred

Hmmm... I think this is the what I will go on Sunday. Do you do small sections at a time, or something more like the left side of the frame>>the right side of the frame>>ect. ?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have buffing wheels I picked up at harbor freight. Also 3 levels of polish in stick form. Rough cut for scratches medium for more clean up and fine to put a polish on it. It is a bit of work and can be messy. Also requires full attention.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I start in one spot...usually closest to the hammer, and finish an entire side before I move to the next so I can monitor the progress....it's not hard though.

You can always go back and repo list anything that doesn't look uniform...just be very careful on stamped letters and numbers and most people recommend not polishing the top of the slide to prevent a glare when shooting.

God bless and good luck
    -Shred

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have buffing wheels I picked up at harbor freight. Also 3 levels of polish in stick form. Rough cut for scratches medium for more clean up and fine to put a polish on it. It is a bit of work and can be messy. Also requires FULL attention.

I fixed it for ya CM. :)

As a youth in high school, I got a job at a local music store that rehabbed brass instruments. They tore them completely down, fixed all the dings and such, they handed them to me to go polish them on a buffing wheel. Loads of fun....NOT.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    If memory serves there are different grades of rouge. Back/grey/white if I am not mistaken.
    Well, technically the 'jewelers' rough is red. But yes, there are different colors for different grits. A green specifically for stainless steel, as well as the black / grey / white you mentioned, a brown, a blue, maybe even some others.

Of course, it also depends on how high of a shine the OP prefers. JMO, probably start off with the green to get rid of minor scratches, etc., then move to something like red if a high polish is preferred. I prefer to remove scratches, etc. but leave something of a smooth, matte finish rather an a mirror finish. But that's my 'thing'.

I like the bars because they're easy to manipulate with handguns, which tend to have have lots of 'nooks & crannies'. While polishing the larger areas, the bar can be worked into a 'pencil point' to use in those tight spots. They're also less messy than polishing creams and compounds, IMO. And as noted, they're specifically made for fine metals (but there are bars for plastics). AND, they're pretty cheap, with a 4 oz. bar costing in the neighborhood of $2 (depending on where it's purchased, of course)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, technically the 'jewelers' rough is red. But yes, there are different colors for different grits. A green specifically for stainless steel, as well as the black / grey / white you mentioned, a brown, a blue, maybe even some others.

Of course, it also depends on how high of a shine the OP prefers. JMO, probably start off with the green to get rid of minor scratches, etc., then move to something like red if a high polish is preferred. I prefer to remove scratches, etc. but leave something of a smooth, matte finish rather an a mirror finish. But that's my 'thing'.

I like the bars because they're easy to manipulate with handguns, which tend to have have lots of 'nooks & crannies'. While polishing the larger areas, the bar can be worked into a 'pencil point' to use in those tight spots. They're also less messy than polishing creams and compounds, IMO. And as noted, they're specifically made for fine metals (but there are bars for plastics). AND, they're pretty cheap, with a 4 oz. bar costing in the neighborhood of $2 (depending on where it's purchased, of course)

Thats what I thought.
    I have the colors I mentioned but it is not labeled as rouge just polish. When properly used with a good wheel it lays out a very nice finish.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I too use Mother's Mag Polish, but I also have an use Flitz Metal, Plastic and Fiberglass Polish. Attach a polishing wheel to your Dremil or to your bench grinder and go at it. If you go too far with the brightness, you can use a green scouring pad to give it a brushed finish. Use your scouring pad in one direction only please. I find this work to be somewhat therapeutic.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd avoid the Dremel for polishing unless you have an unusually steady hand. Years ago, I polished a stainless PPK and used a Dremel on some spots. All it takes is just one slip and the chuck will leave a permanent ding in the metal. I'm a fan of hand polishing now. There's nothing like sitting down to watch something like 'Band of Brothers' with a disassembled stainless gun, a tub of Mothers and some rags.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    NO DREMEL! PLEASE! Not unless you like the "rippled" look. A high polish finish will show every tiny little scratch in the future. That is one of the reasons manufacturers started using brushed and bead blast finishes (that and they're cheaper to do with unskilled labor). Back in the old days when Colt and S&W used to do high polished finishes on all of their guns a guy would go into a training program and train for 3 years before he was allowed to polish a frame out. It does take some skill and it's very easy to mess stuff up. S&W had a room full of polishing wheels that were handmade by their employees - hundreds of them - all contouresd to different shapes for different parts of the guns. Try to polish a gun with just one wheel or a Dremel and you probably won't be happy with the result.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The pic is an older Springer G-I I picked up that was in terrible shape. Looked like it lived under a bucket seat for a long time.
    It took some time but I re-finished the bead blasted finish and polished out the rest.
    The polishing was 1st. Taped off and then bead blasted the rough finish areas.
    Again....time consuming and tedious.

I did put a new set of grips on it. lowered the ejection port before the re-finish

Top Bottom